Shaving Math Puzzle on 50 day cruise (Male)

zlato

Please assist me in finding the correct solution to the following puzzle:

If: (a) one shaves twice per day, (b) the preferred shaving gel can weights between 7-8 ounces, © one prefers not to purchase the common gels often sold on ships

Then: how many cans of shaving gels do I need to bring on board?

Not my major problem in my universe; however, recommendations (do not want to grow a beard) appreciated.

Good question: women have to measure things out too for hair products, hand creams etc and for all of us things like contact lens solutions etc.

How available are one's preferred brands in upcoming port stops in order to resupply, since heavy liquids can eat up a lot of baggage weight when we try to keep things under 50#.

Most ports seem to carry Proctor and Gamble brands today and a google research may find something similar but maybe under a different label or logo, depending upon where you are going.

Boots is like the major US drug store chains and shows up all over the world, at least where the British once were. Valetta in Malta has a particularly good dockside pharmacy, often w/o an RX for many items.

The ship store stocks some of these personal care items and I'll try to survey what they carry on our next cruise. My guess it will carry some form of a shaving cream, but don't know which brand or style of delivery.

I know the ship store carries the 3 in1 contact lens solutions, but finding the H202 lens cleaning option can lead one on some merry goose chases across the world looking for more, let alone finding just the saline solutions. But you can buy contact lenses themselves over the counter in Portugal. Go figure.

Edited by OlsSalt

Please assist me in finding the correct solution to the following puzzle:

If: (a) one shaves twice per day, (b) the preferred shaving gel can weights between 7-8 ounces, © one prefers not to purchase the common gels often sold on ships

Then: how many cans of shaving gels do I need to bring on board?

Not my major problem in my universe; however, recommendations (do not want to grow a beard) appreciated.

zlato, please follow these instructions to achieve the desired mathematical outcome. :)

1. Purchase a nice new container of your favourite gel today.
  2. Begin using it tomorrow. (Note on calendar the start date)
  3. The day the can runs out, make another note on calendar.
  4. Add up the number of days to see how long one container lasts.
  5. Divide the number of expected cruise days by the above total.
  6. Buy this many containers (plus one more just incase) of your favourite shaving gel.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise. :) ;)

colbe MEdMath (Hons)

zlato, please follow these instructions to achieve the desired mathematical outcome. :)

6. Buy this many containers (plus one more just incase) of your favourite shaving gel.

colbe MEdMath (Hons)

This is exactly what I do for all personal toiletries, i.e eye drops, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.

I have used the approximately 3oz travel shaving creams for 15 days comfortably. If that helps.

We have done several variations of the tests described above, and they work fairly well. But, be aware, after 30 years of extensive traveling, your habits can change, and you can use less, or more. Ours have.

colbe MEdMath (Hons)

The above quoted post is it!

However, if you do run out, be aware that the HAL supplied bath gel works well.

An aside: women are used to using one product for many purposes!

Great length for a cruise. Have super time!!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

If: ... © one prefers not to purchase the common gels often sold on ships
Some CCers may remember my perpetual cynicism about the World Floating Spa Domination Company (aka Steiner Leisure, aka the operator of the spa on just about every ship of every major cruise line).

But despite that, I would suggest not dismissing out of hand the Elemis Skin Soothe Shave Gel that may well be on sale on board. It is probably the best shave gel that I have ever come across. And you don't need much of it: 1-2 ml per shave is all that's necessary.

This is really not complicated. My DH is very fussy and WILL NOT be without his shaving cream.

He has it calculated as suggested and can usually manage with one can for a 30 day cruise. 33 or more usually takes it to two or a larger can ;)

I realize a woman's shaving needs are different from a man's, but years ago someone recommended to me to use conditioner rather than shaving gel. Still follow that advice as conditioner products are more readily available, cost much less and do the job just as well for me.

Shaving mug, shaving brush and a puck of high quality shaving soap.

Will cost you less that the equivalent number of shaves using shave gel, you'll get a better first pass because the brush lifts your hair and it creates far less waste.

Added bonus, it's legit for carry on.

The above quoted post is it!

However, if you do run out, be aware that the HAL supplied bath gel works well.

An aside: women are used to using one product for many purposes!

Great length for a cruise. Have super time!!!

Spot on! For what it's worth, though, I've found that the conditioner or lotion works MUCH better as shave cream than soap of any kind - No nicks!

Edited by Khaos WolfKat
Purple!