California Coastal cruises

Single_dreamer

I'm very interested in booking a Coastal California Cruise very soon. I am early 40s and I noticed that Princess runs these cruises regularly and the dates offered fit my schedule. I'm considering sailing in 4/2016.

Can anyone tell help with the following questions?

1. Which port do you prefer to sail from? SFO or LA (Crown or Grand)

2. Does Princess offer solo rates or discounts similar to other lines?

3. Is the 17 mile drive offered as an Excursion?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Single_dreamer

I'm very interested in booking a Coastal California Cruise very soon. I am early 40s and I noticed that Princess runs these cruises regularly and the dates offered fit my schedule. I'm considering sailing in 4/2016.

Thank you so much!

We always prefer to sail from SF as it's a 3 hour drive from home. LA is a good 8 hours of driving and requires an overnight both ways so it's a no brainer for us. Unfortunately most of the California Coastal cruises are out of LA.

Princess "sometimes" gives a small break for solo but it's not much. I know my son paid less than double when we all sailed to Hawaii.

Thank you so much!

Ever considered to sail the one on the Star Princess sailing Vancouver, BC return. It is a 10 day (depart April 19, 2016) with stops in LA, Catalina Island, Santa Barbara & overnight in SF.

Gives you a chance to visit part of our beautiful province.

Theo

Ever considered to sail the one on the Star Princess sailing Vancouver, BC return. It is a 10 day (depart April 19, 2016) with stops in LA, Catalina Island, Santa Barbara & overnight in SF.

Gives you a chance to visit part of our beautiful province.

Theo

We've only visited Vancouver once but I do recommend that people visit there if they can. It was a great place. We did have major sticker shock when we visited a liquor store though. :eek:

Thank you so much!

Port - If I were going to spend some pre-cruise days before sailing I would select S.F. or Vancouver. If you are flying in the day before the cruise any port will be fine. I do recommend flying in at least one day early and staying overnight. Flights can and do get delayed. The Crown, Grand and Star are all nice.

Discounts - I have not seen them. Basically a solo cruiser pays 200% of the fare plus a single port charge.

Tours: Are you speaking about the Monterey drive? I don't see one out of S.F. which is the only port close enough to this area. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way just to get to Monterey. You can view all the Princess excursions on line by selecting the cruise then the excursion tab.

Yes, Princess does cruise out of San Francisco for California Coastals. We did one last March and it was very enjoyable.

You can drive to Monterrey/Carmel/17 Mile Drive in a little less than 3 hours from San Francisco. Taking Route 1 all the way is worth the few extra minutes as it is a beautiful ride. If this is something you would like to do, fly in two days early, rent a car and drive through the 17 Mile Drive. Spend the evening in Carmel; it's a beautiful little town with great restaurants and window shopping. Enjoy San Francisco on the following day (the day before your cruise.) April is generally beautiful weather in the Bay Area and along the California Coast.

Thank you so much!

Like some of the other replies, I prefer the port closest to my house which is from LA and I also much prefer the Crown over the Grand.

However if you want to explore places like the 17 Mile drive then SF would be your best option if you plan a pre or post cruise stay.

I've enjoyed several of the CA Coastal cruises from LA but also compare prices from SF which sometimes are cheaper. When considering a roundtrip Hawaii cruise...sometimes SF & Vancouver are cheaper. However after adding airfare it's the same price as from LA so we drive to the port.

Have you considered a Wine Country Coastal cruise? It's 7-days between Vancouver & LA on the Coral in October 2016 (Vancouver, British Columbia | Nanaimo, B.C., Canada | Seattle, Washington | Astoria, Oregon | San Francisco, California | Los Angeles, California)

Wow! There are so many helpful replies. Thank you so much.

Yes. I have considered the wine cruise but unfortunately I can't get time off from work during those months unless I wait until 2017. San Diego is also high on my list of must see places.

Forgot to mention that I am from NY.

Wow! There are so many helpful replies. Thank you so much.

Yes. I have considered the wine cruise but unfortunately I can't get time off from work during those months unless I wait until 2017. San Diego is also high on my list of must see places.

Forgot to mention that I am from NY.

I think that SD is a great city as are SF & SB...Ensenada is usually a sea day at the pier for us. ;)

We do the Coastal often and since we live very close to San Pedro, the LA Cruise Terminal, we either cruise out of LA or use it as the debarkation port. There is plenty for you to do in the LA/Orange County area if you fly in early, but I have to admit that SF is a beautiful city and you would have some great things to see there, too. We have never had a bad time on the Coastals and find them very relaxing. In fact, we are booked for one in November and one in May!

However if you want to explore places like the 17 Mile drive then SF would be your best option if you plan a pre or post cruise stay.

Monterey is a lovely place to visit. The 17 Mile Drive, so-so. If you are flying in to San Francisco, you are already a good hour closer to Monterey. Rent a car and spend a couple of days visiting the area. Monterey Bay Aquarium, Big Sur, Lighthouses, Great dining, 17 Mile Drive/the Lone Cypress Tree, Carmel, shopping. Lived there for 4 years and enjoyed every day I was there.

By the way, Astro Flyer, are you sure we haven't passed each other on the 110 freeway ????

OP states he can't take much time off work, so all the good advice to do this or that by staying longer won't help him much. There is no easy way to see Monterey on a cruise. It's miles south of San Francisco and miles north of Santa Barbara, and those are the Princess ports. Cruise ships do not stop at Monterey. The single supplement is usually the full amount, but I understand some travel agents can give a discount. The Crown is a nicer ship, by most accounts, but doing the Grand out of San Francisco would bring with it some great scenery.

We did a CA Coastal last April on the Crown Princess from Los Angeles. It was very nice and I'm thinking of doing it again next year. I was on the Grand Princess in December 2014. I would choose the Crown over the Grand in a heartbeat. We sailed into SF under the Golden Gate bridge at dawn and it was wonderful. Loved it.

Thank you so much!

The Crown!

We always go to Monterey. If you like the coast you will like 17 mile drive. You have to pay I think it is 10.50. They give you a map for the drive. You can stop at Pebble Beach and go through the hotel and go out on the 18th hole. Take pictures as well. They have shops. And across the way , someone can direct you they have a little store with a deli and get some lunch.

Carmel is beautiful. I would suggest eating at Hogs Breath Inn. Great Food, a little pricey, but worth it.

By the way, Astro Flyer, are you sure we haven't passed each other on the 110 freeway ????

Since retiring I avoid LA county but have driven a couple of times to King's Restaurant in Torrance to meet cruise friends who were in LA.

Edited by Astro Flyer

...Ensenada is usually a sea day at the pier for us. ;)

A great way to phrase it ;).

To the OP: Do not attempt the 17-mile drive on your one port day in SF. The 3-hour drive from SF along Hwy. 1 can take far longer if "pea soup" fog sets in. I have done this drive dozens of times, so you can trust me on this. Princess sometimes offers 160-170% solo fares in singles and OVs; I have seen them appear on their website, then go back to 200% in a day or two. Keep checking if you are interested.

To shredie: Celebrity is currently doing port stops in Monterey on their CA coastals, if you (or other CCers) are ever tempted to stray from Princess ;).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

As someone who is not from California...

I say go with the one out of San Fran! As others mentioned, see if you can take a few days off pre-cruise or post and rent a car to drive the 17 miles. It's nice but San Francisco has so to see and experience.

We went on the Star Princess back in April. We took a late flight out on a Thursday night after I worked for the day. We had Friday and Saturday to enjoy the town. The cruise left on a Sunday. The weather was perfect. Low 80's and sunny at each port of call. Loved the stops in San Diego, Long Beach and Santa Barbara. We even went to lunch in Ensenada which I normally don't get off the ship there.

I liked this route much better than the others mentioned. I would book it again in a heartbeat.

Live out side San Francisco, near sfo airport... have done the coast once on the Grand had a great time, we did it in the fall, i.e., Sept or October. Traveling along the California coast the weather is the best in early fall vs spring time, when you can get showers up til May.

I would second San Francisco... as a departure port... great city, much prefer over LA or even San Diego but I am partial. :)

A great way to phrase it ;).

;).

We agree that Ensenada is a sea day.

We like the coastals out of LA/San Pedro because it's an easy drive from Phoenix.

We do drive out the day before and use the Park and Sail package at the Crowne Plaza. On our first coastal we drove out the day of and ran into a tremendous traffic jam. Never again.