sea days or more stops

pinksavage22

I know this has probably been brought up before and I have been searching on here and google but cant find the answer. So I am booking a Caribbean cruise in January 2016, I THINK I finally decided on the southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan, however it is easier for us financially and time wise to fly to Miami, but the cruises from Miami have less stops, more days at sea (we do not want the western Caribbean, Eastern or southern only at this point). I can see a positive to both more time on board, less time having to worry about waking up to get an excursion in, but we also want to see the islands too. I just wanted some of your expert opinions on the pros and cons of having more sea days vs more stops. The ones we are looking at currently is a 7 day that has 5 stops, compared to miami that is also 7 days but has 3-4 stops so typically they have two days at sea starting then two days back at sea heading back to Miami. I do not have experience because I know most people will say it differs on personality/preference which is what my cousin told me lol but I just want what you guys think the pros and cons are because I have no clue!

Personal choice

The ships cannot sail from Miami to the Southern Caribbean & back in 7 days without several sea days

We are sailing from FLL & have 3 port stops for 7 day cruise

If you want the southern Caribbean ports either fly to SJU or take a longer cruise from Florida

YMMV

Personally, I want the maximum number of sea days and the minimum number of stops (my last cruise had 14 days at sea and one port along the way)......when I want to visit a place, I'll take a land trip - often taking a road trip or train once I get there. For me, the appeal of 6 -8 hours in port is small.

YMMV.

I do not mind crowds at all, but I could see how having more stops if we wanted to stay on the ship we could, its just would be hard to stay on the ship when theres a new place haha!

And to the first response, I stated we were fine with eastern from Miami... and Miami is easier, but we liked the islands in southern so it was a tie,,,thats why I am asking if it is better to have more days at sea or port stops, we cant take a longer cruise and we are not stuck on southern this is just where I am in the decision making process and the more stops vs more sea days is the final thing we are deciding and I wanted advice from people who have cruised.

The money you save on airfare flying to Florida rather than San Juan could easily end up spent on board a cruise with more sea days. The reason cruises from Florida have fewer days in port is not just due to the distance to the Eastern Caribbean but for the opportunity to sell to a captive audience.

But that said, my personal preference would not be for a cruise with five port calls in six days; once you have a few cruises under your belt, the routine of sea days and the motion of the ocean will be what brings you back.

Our first cruises we wanted to go to as many ports as possible, but when we got back home we were exhausted! Now my favorite cruises have as many sea days as I can get. Sea days are relaxing. So do you want to see as much as you can see or chill out with a drink in your hand and nothing to do but watch the waves go by.

One sea day is ample for us....if we have to have 2, then I hope they're spread out! We like going ashore...hubby more than I, but still...gotta keep everyone happy!

I think it depends on your lifestyle...those working daily like to "chill"...those of us in semi-retirement don't do all the running around that families with kids do...so

we chill a goodly portion of our time, anyway. I can take it easy at home, for a lot less money than on a cruise.... so, we don't mind port stops and doing things...you certainly don't have to do tons of active, physical things....

Edited by cb at sea

This is not a pro and con issue, but simply a matter of personal preference. For example, DW and i have been cruising for many years (about 35) and spent years on cruises all over the world. Last year we were on a 14 day Caribbean Cruise (out of Miami) that stopped at 9 ports and had 4 scheduled sea days. When we left Miami we intended to get off at all the ports, had our own well-used snorkel gear, and knew very island quite well. In the end we stayed on the ship for the first 8 ports and it was only at the last port (St Maarten) that we got off the ship (and then for only 20 minutes to buy some booze). We routinely book long cruises (such as transpacific) with many sea days. Others we know cannot stand any sea days.

By the way, speaking of pros and cons, staying aboard a ship during a port day can be a real treat. The ship is usually near empty, you can sit anywhere, no lines for anything, and its nice and quiet with no blasting music or screaming kids. Try heaven :).

Hank

I'm on the sea day side of the fence. Our first cruise was port intensive and we felt we had to do it all. Even though people say you don't have to get off the ship in port it's not the same as a sea day. I love the feel of the ocean and tied up to a dock just isn't the same thing.

It seems most Caribbean cruises will have the sea day(s) at the beginning and end and port, port, port in the middle. I would love one that was sea day, sea day, port, sea day, port, sea day, sea day. Anyone know of one that fits this schedule?

Sea days are more relaxing, can be cheaper (depending on how much you might drink and if you are getting a drink package if available).

Port days - It also makes a difference WHERE the stops are - is one of the stops a private island? Those are also relaxing "beach" days. Not all ports are equal - if you research the ports from each different cruise a little you might find your decision is easier.

I see you are from California... flying to Florida ... flying period these days so not that (necessary evil) pleasant, so I would opt for a longer cruise out of Miami... then you have the best of two worlds, more time on ship and more ports. We fly out of San Francisco too.

We have been cruising since l983, did our first cruise on the Song of American RCCL, a 7 day out of Miami... now we have well over 50 cruises all over the world. Would not go to Florida for anything less than a 10 day cruise. Last time we did two 7 day cruises one on Princess and one on Celebrity back to back.

We enjoy being at sea, being on a great ship and great ports... we going on the QM2, Cunard at this end of the month for 14 days our of New York to Quebec City and back. Have about 4 sea days, rest of the time in port.

The more you cruise, the more you discover what you enjoy the most. Happy cruising.

The reason cruises from Florida have fewer days in port is not just due to the distance to the Eastern Caribbean but for the opportunity to sell to a captive audience.

Not sure how to take your comment. Because of the distance traveled, a ship can't make it in less time, so those sea days are unavoidable. So what are the cruise lines supposed to do on those unavoidable days at sea? Close all shops, bars, extra fare restaurants, just so the conspiracy theorists won't be offended that they are selling things during that time? Would you rather there be nothing available on sea days?

If you are so offended by being being taken advantage of while being a "captive audience", then you should fly there instead of complaining about being trapped on much slower form of transportation. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Not sure how to take your comment. Because of the distance traveled, a ship can't make it in less time, so those sea days are unavoidable. So what are the cruise lines supposed to do on those unavoidable days at sea? Close all shops, bars, extra fare restaurants, just so the conspiracy theorists won't be offended that they are selling things during that time? Would you rather there be nothing available on sea days?

If you are so offended by being being taken advantage of while being a "captive audience", then you should fly there instead of complaining about being trapped on much slower form of transportation. :rolleyes:

For someone "not sure how to take [my] comment" you seem to quite erroneously have taken it as a complaint. I was simply addressing the OP's questions on their level--as a potential first-time cruiser. They took it at face value, which was my only intent.

And if the cruise lines were willing to expend the cost of fuel they certainly could make it in less time. There are still a few sailings with only one sea day between Miami and San Juan, and four ports rather than three on seven-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries.

Personal choice

The ships cannot sail from Miami to the Southern Caribbean & back in 7 days without several sea days

We are sailing from FLL & have 3 port stops for 7 day cruise

If you want the southern Caribbean ports either fly to SJU or take a longer cruise from Florida

YMMV

What LHT said.

Definitely personal choice;

I vastly prefer port days and minimal sea days. For me, the whole point of a cruise is to be a handy hotel room while I see as much of the world as possible. I spend as much time in the various ports as I can. I also don't repeat itineraries if I can help it, because I want to see different places. I do come home from some cruises feeling like I need another vacation because I'm exhausted. But then I look at what I've seen!

Others prefer the sea days for the relaxation they provide.

There is no right / wrong answer to this. It purely comes down to what you want out of your vacation.

My personal choice is anyplace out of san juan....there are less sea days but you can choose to stay onboard or take a shorter excursion......san juan itself has a lot to offer....we fly down several days early and very much enjoy our time there....your kids are a great age for forts!....there are several itineraries.....barbados is my favorite....family members enjoy Curacao and St lucia.....the southern route just seems more exotic and is,generally,not as hurricane prone......poor dominica was just terribly hit by the last one....if she is available as a port for your time frame I would jump on that!!....

Unclear when stops will resume there.....have a wonderful time...