Wet luggage - need advice please!

GB Chicago

Thanks to those of you that took the time to provide the great feedback - although I've taken 17 Carnival cruises and I travel extensively for business this has never happened to me before. Lining suitcase with plastic and buying the waterproof types was great feedback which I will definitely do.

For those with the other comments......if you look at my original posts and any of my past posts I think I was a bit misunderstood so if I did not communicate this well I apologize.

I wasn't "blaming" Carnival or the port or anyone. I did not realize they did not house the baggage in a covered shelter as I know if rains frequently in Miami. This is not my first cruise out of Miami in the rain but this was the first time with this experience and my cabin mates suitcase was fine. I was really just asking for advice on whether I should contact Carnival - not trying to blame anyone. To those that took it otherwise my apologies. It was just a bit of an annoyance to have to deal with the first couple hours of the cruise. I brushed it off and had a great time. Thanks again to those that took the time to give me some constructive ideas for future cruises. Much appreciated!

I did not realize they did not house the baggage in a covered shelter as I know if rains frequently in Miami. This is not my first cruise out of Miami in the rain but this was the first time with this experience and my cabin mates suitcase was fine.

I honestly would not have ever imagined that the luggage would sit outside the cruise ship either until I came across a story like yours where someone's suitcase got all soaked like yours. I had envisioned the luggage transported in covered carts like at the airports. But then I saw this picture:

ImageUploadedByForums1442364845.847458.jpg.9cec56e387071ba9b8ec3c1973d0111e.jpg

I guess it makes sense, I mean, there's much more luggage to load onto a ship than onto a plane. And they actually have to life these "bins" onto the shift with machinery. I'm sure it takes awhile so if it starts pouring, stuff will get wet.

Anyway, if your cabin mate's luggage was dry it's probably because it was on the bottom. [emoji6]

Edited by bakersdozen12

Thanks to those of you that took the time to provide the great feedback - although I've taken 17 Carnival cruises and I travel extensively for business this has never happened to me before. Lining suitcase with plastic and buying the waterproof types was great feedback which I will definitely do.

For those with the other comments......if you look at my original posts and any of my past posts I think I was a bit misunderstood so if I did not communicate this well I apologize.

I wasn't "blaming" Carnival or the port or anyone. I did not realize they did not house the baggage in a covered shelter as I know if rains frequently in Miami. This is not my first cruise out of Miami in the rain but this was the first time with this experience and my cabin mates suitcase was fine. I was really just asking for advice on whether I should contact Carnival - not trying to blame anyone. To those that took it otherwise my apologies. It was just a bit of an annoyance to have to deal with the first couple hours of the cruise. I brushed it off and had a great time. Thanks again to those that took the time to give me some constructive ideas for future cruises. Much appreciated!

As someone who has worked in customer service for a long time, I would really give carnival a call or email them. You were told they would comp it, so they should. You were likely not the only one with the issue, so this is something they may know about. How far you go to get the refund is up to you. Unless it's a large number I doubt you will get any push back at all. Small numbers are usually worth refunding to keep a customer happy, and obviously a happy customer will cruise again.

One could also say that Carnival may care about how often this happens to its customers, so calling to complain could just be one more complaint needed for action to be taken. Carnival may not care, but I have worked with a relatively large corporation before.... and sometimes you just need the numbers to validate an issue.

One would think that if it is raining they would take steps to move cart to someplace that is covered.

I also believe that once the porter moves luggage to Carnivals cart the responsibility becomes Carnivals.

Not until the cart is actually loaded onto the ship. Until then it's the port/porter's responsibility.

All that aside CCL did tell the OP that they would pay for the drying of his clothes and as a matter of principle I for one would contact CCL at least once about the matter.

Are you sure it was rain? Watching the cruise cams on Galveston's website, I have seen many a piece of luggage "take a bath".

Hummm .... any kelp, seaweed or minnows mixed in with your clothing ?

I had two very inexpensive items trashed.

Did you mean expensive ?

Edited by lizardhowson

I'd file it in my "well that sucked" file and move on. I bet you had a great cruise anyway, remember the good stuff.

No it shouldn't have happened but it did and any thing you want comped for is just going to be a headache to get it done. Move on, plan your next trip.

One would think that if it is raining they would take steps to move cart to someplace that is covered.

I also believe that once the porter moves luggage to Carnivals cart the responsibility becomes Carnivals.

Ding ding ding.

No one can control the weather, that is a straw man argument. Once someone take possession of your belongings they are absolutely responsible for taking reasonable precautions to protect it. Leaving it out in the rain because "that is what we do" is not at all reasonable.

Flying to San Juan, for our second cruise ever, the gentleman beside me packed a LARGE bottle of rubbing alcohol in his carryon, which he put right above my head... (this was pre-911).

During takeoff the bottle came open and started pouring out on the top of my head, in my eyes, everywhere! I jumped up and when the flight attendant came to scold me, she saw what happened and moved me to the jumpseat in the bulkhead for the rest of takeoff! Unfortunately several of us who had things in the overhead had items damaged by the alcohol... when the flight attendant discovered the source and told the owner, he just shrugged like he could care less! She really chewed him out and made him sit in my wet seat while I took his!

I lost some items and my camera would never work right afterward, but other than wet hair for most of the flight, I was none the worst for wear. Not to mention that I got several free drinks from her, it made for an interesting flight!

Hi ,A few cruises ago on the Carnival Freedom this happened to me and many others . Carnival gave out vouchers for free laundry,and later I got a small obc. I felt more for some people that had colored luggage that stained and ruined some of their clothes. The next day I found out a lot of the new crew's luggage got very wet too. The spa gals needed their uniforms the next morning so they used the hair dryer to dry their uniforms. Lot of unhappy people that first night. Also some of the paper luggage tags got so soaked you could not read them. Some people got their luggage very late at night. Bye for now,Kendra

I'd file it in my "well that sucked" file and move on. I bet you had a great cruise anyway, remember the good stuff.

No it shouldn't have happened but it did and any thing you want comped for is just going to be a headache to get it done. Move on, plan your next trip.

I always have trip insurance, but...

Some seem to be blowing off the OP as if this is no big deal. In the grand scheme of life, I suppose it may not be. For OP's cruise and probably many others' in the same situation, it's definitely a sizeable monkey wrench.

I have never had my suitcase and clothing arrive to my cabin soaked...

And hopefully, never will.

But I sure can sympathize with those who have!

I think this is an opportunity for improvement on Carnivals part. If you think about it Carnival is in the hospitality business and the last thing that should occur is for a customer to turn over their belongings to Carnival, only to get wet due to unprotected area's of the dock. I would send an e-mail to the Carnival exec team to make them aware of the issue so they can make improvements in this area. The fix could be as simple as a process change on the docks or a tent covering the pathway to the ship. The execs won't know about it unless someone speaks up about the problem.

Sure there is but there's also the expectation of company responsibility. It goes both ways.
Right, but if your luggage was the responsibility of and in the possession of Company A, Company B shouldn't have to pay for it, either. Until the luggage is loaded onto a Carnival ship (Company B), it's in the possession of the port and its workers (Company A). Until it actually is loaded on the ship, it's not in Carnival's possession.

Now, I do think that if the Carnival reps told the OP that the laundry would be comped, they should follow through, but they aren't ultimately responsible for letting the OP's luggage get soaked (and really, unless the luggage was dropped in the water, neither is the port, since bad weather happens).

Edited by ldlewis45

Have you ever seen how much luggage has to be loaded onto a ship? Even on a smaller 2,000 passenger ship, you're looking at 2,000 pieces of luggage, if checked bags average 1 per passenger. Moving it isn't done instantaneously. They can't look up and say, "Oh, hey, it's starting to rain, let's get all this under cover ASAP!" and have it done in 5 minutes. And even if there were sufficient space to store the bags under cover while inside the transport bins, they'd still be exposed to the elements while actually being transferred onto the ship. Edited by ldlewis45

Being in the hospitality industry, I'm sure Carnival realized that they needed to make things right for the OP and that's why they agreed to comp the cleaning. I'm not sure why anyone would make excuses for them not following through but I guess it's par for the course here.

I always try to remember to watch my luggage make it to the luggage cage.

However, sometimes the thought of my first drink, Guy's Burger, and ice cream over-takes my senses.....and I forget the moment I tip the Porter....:rolleyes:

Have you ever seen how much luggage has to be loaded onto a ship? Even on a smaller 2,000 passenger ship, you're looking at 2,000 pieces of luggage, if checked bags average 1 per passenger. Moving it isn't done instantaneously. They can't look up and say, "Oh, hey, it's starting to rain, let's get all this under cover ASAP!" and have it done in 5 minutes. And even if there were sufficient space to store the bags under cover while inside the transport bins, they'd still be exposed to the elements while actually being transferred onto the ship.

After 30 or so cruises we have and at times had balconies overlooking loading area and watched loading.

They usually wait quite awhile to load luggage but if it is raining, a reasonable person would expect them to start loading luggage sooner rather than leave everyones stuff out in the rain for hours.

When building the pier one would think someone would allow for protection of customers belongings before loading would commence.

The stevedore company has a contract with the cruise line to provision the ship. That includes everything that goes in a cage and is loaded by forklift onto the vessel.

The men and women you see at curbside when embarking and inside the terminal when debarking are ILA longshoremen union people. Their union hires them for the day, off a labor board. The members are ranked by seniority, or A-B-C, with an "A man" having priority over B or C when wanting to work.

A union member calls his hall and says "put me on the board" and at a prescribed time all those that want to work a cruise ship are contacted with the job assignment. It's been that way for decades.

Longshoremen are representatives of the stevedore company, and that is who must purchase the liability insurance for handling cargo.

Working a cruise ship is a good gig. Most, if not all those men and women have double digit seniority and want those jobs over loading steel or bulk freight.

My dad was an ILA man for 45 years. He was accepted in the Clerks and Checkers union (those that manage cargo and manifests) after a decade as a longshoreman. Hard work in his day, as he dropped out of high school to help feed their family.

Good luck OP, we've been lucky, lucky, lucky after 32 cruises the only thing I've ever experienced was leaving a bag in Miami.

Edited by BallFour4

You sound like me, I love Carnival and would hate to complain but I would call and let them know your frustration and see if you could be reinbursed. While we were on our last cruise the night before departing a lady had her rather large suitcase on the elevator and she told me she was taking it to guest services to show them the damage that had been done to it. I will say my Delsey Luggage has been through alot in sailing and flying, but the first trip with it and it was delivered to my cabin with black marks all over it I was a bit upset, but if everything was wet that would have been another story. They should have washed it all for you, especially since you are platinum and get some free wash and fold anyways.

Sorry about your mess, but this wasn't Carnival's fault. Until the bags are actually loaded on the ship they are the responsibility of the port and the stevedores. I know that really stinks, but that is how it is, and Carnival was nice to do anything about it. This is an example of a good reason to use hard sided luggage.

Certainly Carnival bears some responsibility. They are, after all, the party that contracts with the stevedores to load the luggage. Surely it could insist on appropriate facilities and equipment for protecting luggage from the elements. Surely it could insure that luggage was kept in the terminal until just before loading to minimize exposure to weather.

I must have missed the section of the OP that indicates Carnival did anything but break a promise.