Has the towel policy changed again?

orville99

There are a few threads going on another forum that RCL has reverted back to its old check-in/check-out policy for pool towels. On our last EN cruise in July, they were doing this for shore excursions in Nassau, but not on the pool deck. The threads mention Radiance, Brilliance, and Oasis.

There are a few threads going on another forum that RCL has reverted back to its old check-in/check-out policy for pool towels. On our last EN cruise in July, they were doing this for shore excursions in Nassau, but not on the pool deck. The threads mention Radiance, Brilliance, and Oasis.

Towels had to be checked out for any purpose on Oasis two weeks ago.

Was on Liberty 3rd week of August. Sea Passes needed to check out towels for the pool deck. Attendants said it was due to chair hogs, towels being left all over and people stealing them (that last one, I don't get =they aren't a great quality.)

Royal was forced to return to the old towel policy because too many people were taking multiple towels on sea days and then taking them ashore the next day, then leaving them on the beach. You may need a birth certificate or passport to board a ship, but absolutely no class or ethics are required.

Royal was forced to return to the old towel policy because too many people were taking multiple towels on sea days and then taking them ashore the next day, then leaving them on the beach. You may need a birth certificate or passport to board a ship, but absolutely no class or ethics are required.

That probably sums it up. And chair hogs too - taking stacks of towels and covering loads of chairs with them.

We had to check them in and out on Indy a few weeks ago. Except for the night in San Juan. There was torrential rain and they were handing out towels as we boarded.

There were still chair hogs, but not too bad. I saw a woman freaking out at the towel guy because someone took her stuff off of her chair while she went to the gym and took a shower :rolleyes:.

I, too, think this is to discourage the crazy chair hogging. I've seen more than once, one person picking up 7-8 towels and placing them on loungers at 7 am in the Solarium and by the pool. I think it's cheaper for them to have employees check towels in and out than to buy new ones and police the many "saved" chairs. It drives me crazy to come out to the pool area at 9 am only to find no loungers in the shade. DH had melanoma 10years ago and I burn easily so we choose to sit in the shade. I've seen people with chairs reserved in both sun and shade and they move back and forth between the two. Wrong!!! I can hear the tantrums now, but tough, no one is entitled to have a seat "saved" for them all day, or until they choose to come out after they wake up at 11.

I'm glad they're going back to checking in and out for the chair hoggers, but for those of us that follow the rules, it's a bit more inconvenient.

Check-in/out does not prevent chair hoggers to block loungers: they have adapted to a new strategy -now use the free books from the ship libraries to block loungers and actually do not care when the pool police confiscates the books.......

Edited by christi1805

I, too, think this is to discourage the crazy chair hogging. I've seen more than once, one person picking up 7-8 towels and placing them on loungers at 7 am in the Solarium and by the pool. I think it's cheaper for them to have employees check towels in and out than to buy new ones and police the many "saved" chairs. It drives me crazy to come out to the pool area at 9 am only to find no loungers in the shade. DH had melanoma 10years ago and I burn easily so we choose to sit in the shade. I've seen people with chairs reserved in both sun and shade and they move back and forth between the two. Wrong!!! I can hear the tantrums now, but tough, no one is entitled to have a seat "saved" for them all day, or until they choose to come out after they wake up at 11.

I'm glad they're going back to checking in and out for the chair hoggers, but for those of us that follow the rules, it's a bit more inconvenient.

I totally understand espically in relation to the melanoma. I lost my dad to skin cancer and I too have had a few moles removed. Thankfully the ones they removed from me were free and clear.

I like the shade umbrella's at the beach pool on the Osais class ships. We will arrive there first thing in the morning and stay all day. Other than a quick bite to eat or a splash in the pool our loungers do not go unattended. It is the best spot for us as I sit in the shade and my DW sits in the sun. We exchange spots through the day, depending on the shade.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I was on the Navigator last week and we had to check them out when we took them off ship but at the pool deck they just let us have them. They asked us to not remove them from the pool area though.

I was also on this cruise. We had a large balcony with two loungers... I just went to the pool & grabbed us two towels for them. Then my hubby (not knowing I had gotten any) got a few more. So we took two ashore & returned them used to the pool deck & got two more for the next excursion. No one ever said anything.

Edited by SRV FAN

I totally understand espically in relation to the melanoma. I lost my dad to skin cancer and I too have had a few moles removed. Thankfully the ones they removed from me were free and clear.

I like the shade umbrella's at the beach pool on the Osais class ships. We will arrive there first thing in the morning and stay all day. Other than a quick bite to eat or a splash in the pool our loungers do not go unattended. It is the best spot for us as I sit in the shade and my DW sits in the sun. We exchange spots through the day, depending on the shade.

Someone on a thread earlier this summer would qualify you as a chair hog. How dare you spend the entire day enjoying the pool. :rolleyes:

We also love the beach pool,front row, feet in the water. Usually leave around 1:00 though. Enough sun for one day.

BTW, Freedom is checking out towels as well

1443114065291.jpg.14f1548be12e818dba02c57f5e9cfdd0.jpg