Are spring break time cruises too crazy with kids?

Awaken

We had a terrific time this past summer on the Freedom of the Seas, and would love to take the kids for their first cruise experience.

Looks like something over spring break would work best....but I"ve read a lot of horror stories in the news about traveling around spring break time, people falling off balconies, etc so just wanted to get opinions before I book it. Both on the ship at in port (I'm thinking of doing the 4-day, Nassau, Coco Cay, and Key West trip). Basically are we going to be surrounded by binge drinking insane college students or is it still a good mix of different ages? I really enjoyed on our other cruises, how it's appealing to all ages, from the littlest through grandparents. I assume spring break time would also be a great time for families to get away so it would be well populated by multi-age groups.

And I assume the ship is big enough to provide a buffer between different groups of people. It was no problem at all on the other cruises I've been on, with all the different adult/kid areas, bars, restaurants, etc. But I've never done one during spring break time so don't know if it's a different mix.

Don't get me wrong, we do like to drink and have a good time, but I just don't want it to be over the top to the point that it isn't fun!

few years back I booked a 5 day Liberty of the Seas cruise from Miami for dd during her college 'spring break' ..... she wanted to PARTY - I went along to ensure she got back!

Of all the cruises I've taken on RCCL this was the dullest, least party crowd, we've ever experienced. The kids that drank heavily passed out in the early afternoon and were never seen again. The "disco" dd so loved on previous cruises on FREEDOM was a lackluster tomb by 11pm

I'm not saying all spring break cruises will be like this ... but also true is not all spring break cruises are ANIMAL HOUSE.

Edited by Capt_BJ

In my experience the cheaper, shorter cruises are the party sailings. I have also been on seven-day cruises on large ships over spring break that were overrun with out of control and unsupervised children. I only sailed at that time to take my grandson, but fortunately I can choose to avoid spring break sailings altogether. :D

Google the ship's name and the date and see if some travel agent is offering a deal for college students for that week. That would tell you that the ship would be full of partying college students.

Otherwise, it might be so bad that it would impact your week especially.

I cruised during spring break once and the ship had 1,000 children on it - not college age students, but kids. Families brought the kids on board. Other than some occasional elevator antics or late night running in the halls, it was much like any other cruise.

There are are different levels of spring break cruises. There is the College level and the school age level. Each can be good or bad, BLIND LUCK IS THE ISSUE between good or bad.

We were on a cruise on the Freedom during the spring, there were over a 1000 young school age children on board, YIKES, we said, one of the best cruises we have ever been on, the Children in that group were parented well. On another cruise it was, well quite different. I should say we never had a bad cruise because the behavior of children and for that sake adults as well.

The last 3 times we've cruised have been over spring break. My sister is a teacher and that's the best time for her to go. Twice it was 4-day cruises and once it was 7 days. Our children were school aged. We've never had a problem with drunk college kids. Maybe we were just lucky.

OP: We did the same itinerary during spring break a few years ago and it WAS NOT a booze cruise experience. Quite the opposite. Lots of families with kids but not a lot of boozy college aged kids.

One thing to consider is if your kids' spring break coincides with college spring breaks or not. Our local ES/HS spring break is always over Easter. Depending on the time of year it falls it could be smack dab in the middle of college season or way past it. There is a website that lists college spring break numbers per week but I'm not sure what it is. I'd check and see where yours falls.

Earlier spring break cruises (March) will probably have more college students while April has younger kids. We have done a couple spring break cruises (7 & 8 nights) and the number of kids ranged around 900-1100 on Voyager and Freedom class ships.

That is a lot of kids, but I had kids, so I think I could tune them out better. It is not the type of cruise I would like to do if I were travelling without kids.

We've never noticed much of a difference during the 2-3 "spring break" months....the ships have PLENTY of kids most of the time...the clubs/camps keep them quite busy. There will always be kids around the pools on sea days, no matter what time of year!

If you're thinking "frat party"...not a normal occurrence. Mainly families with kids.

I went last year with my daughter and grandson's during March. I would not ever go again during college spring break. We did a four day and the grandsons couldn't get near the swimming pool because of all the college kids. Staff actually had to make the college kids get out of the kiddie pool so the 10 small children on board could get in. They got out but with really bad attitudes. Bathrooms around pool were manned 24/7 by RCI staff because they were being trashed.

I always make the best of any cruise, but that is an experience I would rather not repeat. I agree with others, shorter cruises in March will be less family friendly than longer ones.

Never again, did it a few times due to business meeting a free flights to Florida but over 1000 kids is out of control and the shorter the cruise the less respectful the cruisers. Can say I never had a bad cruise but spring break were the least enjoyable

We had a terrific time this past summer on the Freedom of the Seas, and would love to take the kids for their first cruise experience.

Looks like something over spring break would work best....but I"ve read a lot of horror stories in the news about traveling around spring break time, people falling off balconies, etc so just wanted to get opinions before I book it. Both on the ship at in port (I'm thinking of doing the 4-day, Nassau, Coco Cay, and Key West trip). Basically are we going to be surrounded by binge drinking insane college students or is it still a good mix of different ages? I really enjoyed on our other cruises, how it's appealing to all ages, from the littlest through grandparents. I assume spring break time would also be a great time for families to get away so it would be well populated by multi-age groups.

And I assume the ship is big enough to provide a buffer between different groups of people. It was no problem at all on the other cruises I've been on, with all the different adult/kid areas, bars, restaurants, etc. But I've never done one during spring break time so don't know if it's a different mix.

Don't get me wrong, we do like to drink and have a good time, but I just don't want it to be over the top to the point that it isn't fun!

We were on the Vision in March out of Tampa for a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean - NEVER AGAIN. Half the passengers were drunk, out of control college students. They were ridiculous and made a horrible mess at the end of every day on the pool deck and the deck above the pool. The cabin attendants told me they HATE spring breaks. They pack as many people into cabins as allowed and the mess I saw through an open door made me sick to my stomach. I wondered if they live like that when they're at home - probably not.

You are planning to take kids on a cruise, but you are worried about 'too many kids'....seems a little odd to me.

I surely don't understand what a 'buffer between different groups of people' means by you. You admit that you have had no problem at all on other cruises with all the different adult/kids areas.....well Spring Break cruise for a 7 day excursion will be like a 7 day summer cruise.

Other peoples fun, won't impact your fun.....is what I would imagine...unless of course you 'crash into' those 'buffers between different groups of people' that you assume are on ships.

Take the cruise you want, that fits into your schedule....the rest will take care of itself.

Google the ship's name and the date and see if some travel agent is offering a deal for college students for that week. That would tell you that the ship would be full of partying college students.

I doubt the young whipper snappers are going to be using travel agents.

I doubt the young whipper snappers are going to be using travel agents.

A smart TA would go to the Student Union center and promote what they have....college kids will love a great deal especially with some nice OBC to go towards their bar bill....they are not fools.

I have sailed over Spring Break and did not mind it. Most of the kids are respectful and not a problem. I have had more problems with adults on cruises! Obviously the pool areas are crazy but we were usually done by 1pm when they were just getting up.

I agree. Our past 3 cruises have been spring break cruises and not once have we ever had a bad experience.