Cruise line debate?

Tora_Oni

So I've been doing a lot of research I think I've decided best to try for experience. I'm 27 and planning on going with my boyfriend during off season or shoulder season/ fall or Early Spring. I'm thinking about different options like Carribean East vs West and bahamas. I also like advice on what port I see South carolina has one and, 3 in florida and on in Galvaston and I hear Mobile AL will get Carnival some time again. So being from KY not sure if ports matter? I don't think I want to go on very big ships even with my slight issue with car sickness and motion sickness, I've grown out of car sickness or I just moved to area where it wasn't so hilly/ I also drive which cuts it down. I find air circulation cures it for most part. We not picky eaters, fine with trying new things.

No really partier, I like some relaxing stuff and maybe not sportsy but I do enjoy white water rafting.

Carnival vs RCCL vs NCL

Any one of them will be exciting, and the smallest ship will seem huge. Pick the one that best fits your budget. Don't be prodded into booking a balcony because ' you will just love it.' Inside cabins are fine. You are only there to shower and sleep. Choose the one that fits your schedule and is the easiest drive. Remember, you should plan to arrive in your departure city the day/night before. EM

Do an off season Inside cabin on one of those lines NEWER ships. All of them have some old clunkers that they commonly use in your smaller ports. Check em out on REVIEWS top of this page. Look for both CC reviews and reader reviews.

Edited by zoncom

On your 1st cruise...ship matters less than port....do your research and go to the places that most interest you.

Ship cabins are small....even if you aren't in there except to "sleep and shower", when you ARE there, you don't want to be on top of each other, so look at the deck plans for each ship you're considering....deck plans show the sq. footage (which includes bathroom space...be aware!!) and choose accordingly.

On your 1st cruise...ship matters less than port....do your research and go to the places that most interest you.

Respectfully disagree. Even without cruising first, I expect some people will know what level of on-board amenities they would like to have, and it may be more important to them than which Carribean ports they hit. I'm a few hours from SC but I knew dang well I didn't want my first cruise to be on the Carnival Sunshine because I know my travel tastes, cruise or no.

Edited by perditax

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Cruising! :D

Whichever you pick, make sure it is for at least 7 days so you have time for a real cruise experience. :)

And there is another reason to pick a 7 day or longer. Short cruises, 3,4 and even 5 or 6 day sailings, have a different atmosphere and a different group of passengers.

These cruises almost always have younger crowd, with more kids too, especially during fall or spring breaks and the holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The price will be much higher during school breaks and holidays so you had the right idea to look for lower cost weeks.

OP, you will not get a definitive answer from people here. I'm sure everyone feels strongly for one or two of their favorites and each line has their fans and detractors. I like Carnival and Royal. You might like NCL. It depends more on YOU and your likes and dislikes, than the cruiseline (among the main 3 or 4 lines, NCL, RCCL, CCL anyway.)

The truth is that everyone assigns different weights to their likes and dislikes, plus each sailing has many variables like: the crew, the itenarary, the ship, cabin location and type, cruise length, weather...you get the idea. I've said before, and I think many agree, that the experience might vary as much between different ships of the same line as between similar cruises on different lines.

Each line has a forum here on Cruise Critic with topics related to the specific line. Read up on the lines that interest you. Look at the loyalty programs. Is free booze or free laundry more important. Got kids? Each line and each ship has different water play areas and slides. Best kids program? Like to eat a variety of foods and venues? Specialty restaurants at extra cost are common, but there are free venues as well.

As another post said, try a couple of different cruises, different cruise lines and different ships till you find a combination you like.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

Most important is that you have a serious talk...with yourself. Be sure of what's important to you...what you want from your vacation, what you don't want, what items have the highest priority and what's take it or leave it.

How important are the ports? What are you going to the port for - shopping, history, sightseeing, drinking?? Is there someplace you really want to see?

Tons of questions to ask yourself, but it is worth it to have a fairly clear picture of what you need. If you need research help, find a GOOD cruise travel agent. DO NOT just patronize an "order taker". Find out how many cruises they've been on...which lines....what they have discovered. If the first words out of their mouth is "I can get you a deal" -- that's an order taker, not an agent.

Good luck. Post when you have more detailed questions and I know you'll get an answer.

I have been on 5 cruises now and each one has been a different cruise line because they all bring something good to the table. I very much think that a cruise is always going to be as good as you make it.

For me I prioritise what ports do I want to stop at? Which is the best itinerary for my budget?

Then if there are multiple options of equal value, I look at the ship itself. Which one has the best value and entertainment for me. You can look at what's important to you like shows, venues, food.

And remember that you have a lot of time in the rest of your life to go to other cruise lines and other ports so don't worry if you find a tough choice... there will be another cruise for you to try out another line :)

As I cruise in Europe I have not been with the three lines you ask about yet but each has their own board where you can ask questions. I will be cruising with RCCL next year and looking forward to it, there are a lot of very similar itineraries in the Med from a lot of lines so this time I picked the general itinerary I wanted and then I picked a ship and line I hadn't tried before, because my husband wanted to try the rock climbing and flow rider, and my mum was excited by the idea of ice skating shows, so we went with RRCL.

I get extremely motion sick in cars, buses, coaches and planes, but I have zero sea-sickness ever on cruise ships - even on really rough crossing in the Bay of Biscay (Europe)! So it's one of those things where you won't really know until you're on board, but I'd take some tablets with you and not worry about it overly.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

No really partier, I like some relaxing stuff and maybe not sportsy but I do enjoy white water rafting.

Carnival vs RCCL vs NCL

I'm going to repeat what the majority here have said. I also recommend RCI first, then Carnival, then any other line, then NCL.

Sea sickness - wearing acupuncture wrist bands, sold in the UK by Boots chemist shops for example, seem to work fine for many people. Each band has a small button embedded which you locate about 3 fingers-width down from the bottom of the hand on the inside of each wrist (but check instructions!). They also worked fine for me flying in Chinooks in Afghanistan!