Jeans hemmed

mason525

It/s certainly not a standard ask item. I wouldn't even know who to ask or who to give them to or where to go to be fitted.

Buttons sewn sure, but tailoring....

The capability surely exists, as there will be someone in charge of maintaining and fitting uniforms and entertainer's costumes. Just a matter of how to get there.....

Good luck...!

Cle is the expert - I would think you could find someone on board and it would just as likely be a passenger willing to help as Celebrity certainly does not do it.

Can I ask why you would need to have jeans hemmed after you boarded? DW always brings a small roll of Gorilla Tape - available all over in USA - for emergency things like this. It sticks to everything!

Hi,

Jeans arrived in mail today & I leave for Rome tomorrow. Because dry cleaners usually do this, I hoped Celebrity's would. These jeans are more than 6" too long & fitted so tape won't work but thank you for the suggestion.

Meg

Hi,

Jeans arrived in mail today & I leave for Rome tomorrow. Because dry cleaners usually do this, I hoped Celebrity's would. These jeans are more than 6" too long & fitted so tape won't work but thank you for the suggestion.

Meg

Just thinking that the tailors on board who do the tailoring of the rental tuxes may be another possibility. Worth a try. They may well be the same ones who do the uniforms and costumes.

But I would suggest packing a roll of thread and some needles, in case it turns out to be a do-it-yourself job. Hemming fitted jeans by hand should not require much time or sewing skill.

Pending on where you are traveling from, there might be plenty of time on your flight to get it done even if you have to do it several times over. It sure will help with possible boredom... :p

Just thinking that the tailors on board who do the tailoring of the rental tuxes may be another possibility. Worth a try. They may well be the same ones who do the uniforms and costumes.

But I would suggest packing a roll of thread and some needles, in case it turns out to be a do-it-yourself job. Hemming fitted jeans by hand should not require much time or sewing skill.

OP stated that the jeans were 6" too long. That's half a foot. OP would have to cut the fabric because the bottom would be too bulky. It reminds me of when I was a kid my grandmother would leave a large hem for growing room. Now I need the growing room in the waist....:D

There is typically a Wardrobe Manager for the production staff who does repairs to the costumes, etc. Also, there is also a least one sewing machine in their change area backstage. Could be a new Celebrity Life activity. We often see on board, Cake Decorating, Sushi Making and so on. Maybe a demonstration with your jeans can be another At Sea Day event. :D

I would think if you have a butler there would be no problem getting them hemmed.

I once tore my bathing suit at the seam. I asked the butler if he knew anyone who could fix it for me. He said no problem. He came back 1 hour later with it all done and so neatly sewn. I asked the cost and he said nothing that there was no cost. Next, I asked if I could meet the person who sewed the bathing suit as I'd like to say thank you. I was speechless when he said that he did it himself.

There are some terrific butlers on Celebrity.:)

I'd ask your steward, bet he knows who can attend to it.

On one of cruises our niece ripped a seam on her knapsack. Our butler took it and it was very professionally repaired on a machine. With 1-2 thousand crew members on a ship there is always someone who does clothing repairs or alterations.

As stated above, ask your steward.

bosco

OP stated that the jeans were 6" too long. That's half a foot. OP would have to cut the fabric because the bottom would be too bulky. It reminds me of when I was a kid my grandmother would leave a large hem for growing room. Now I need the growing room in the waist....:D

That's hilarious... and so true as we cruisers age. :D

I purchased a pair of slacks in the boutique which came with un-hemmed bottoms so the wearer could hem to the leg length .I was advised to contact the cabin steward who would arrange the work with the on-board tailor.They have menu pricing for most alterations. I assume that it is part of the laundry service.

If I was cruising from Rome tomorrow (probably now today) I simply would not give two hoots about getting a pair of jeans altered on board or elsewhere....

Always other clothes in the wardrobe, shops in port....

Forget your jeans, relax, no one will notice if your jeans are old or new, just enjoy your cruise and visiting some exciting, beautiful and amazing places.

Have a great vacation.

I agree with the person who said a six inch shortening would alter the look of the jeans, especially if they are tapered as in typical skinny jeans. Jeans can be a challenge to hem without a sewing machine because much denim is heavy and thick. When the fabric is doubled over to avoid a raw edge, the needle must pass though even thicker material. I don't like hemming jeans, but have often done it for my sons. I usually use a thicker needle and a thicker guage of thread than is usual on finer fabrics. The thicker thread hold better.

If you can find an expert seamtress or tailor on the ship, they might have just the right materials and equipment to do the job. The jeans may not look exactly like you want though if they are skinny jeans. If the have a boot cut leg, you might be really pleased with the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...