Pier runners

cruisenewbie79

If you set your WATCH...not use your cell phone for the time, you will NOT risk missing the ship! No worries! Phones show local time...not SHIP'S TIME!

We were late getting back once....stayed in Nassau until 2 pm....and it was formal night...so after dinner, went to Atlantis to gamble, in all our finery! Fun! We won some money, and went to the cashier to cash out...and they are SO SLOW!!! I mean, "one potato, two potato" slow. Anyway, time is getting away.....and we're panicking, but are not leaving without our money...we go outside and there's another couple waiting for a cab....so we joined forces...hailed a LIMO and high-tailed it back to the ship...they were just getting ready to pick up the gangway.... A night to remember!

No one was yelling or jeering or anything. (Of course, it was 2am!)

You really want to plan to be back to the ship at LEAST 15 mins. prior to "all aboard" time, which is 30 mins. prior to sailaway.

Edited by cb at sea

We were leaving Bermuda once - I was relaxing on the balcony with a glass of wine as the ship pulled out when I heard screams coming from other balconies. I then realized that the ship was in reverse! Two young girls were running toward the ship. I'd never known a ship to actually back up to collect stragglers, but I'm guessing that these were just teens and likely had frantic parents on board.

We always plan to be back on board about an hour before the deadline. My hubby hates waiting in long lines, and the line for security to re-board does start getting long close to the all aboard time.

The only time we weren't back in time was when we were on a tour booked through Princess. Because of weather conditions, the vehicle got back after the time, but the guide was in touch with the ship. As our group was walking up the gangway, the crew was preparing to raise it up immediately.

Those who deliberately disregard the all aboard time are actually being a bit selfish. The time is listed in your ship's newsletter (I always take it with us in port), you can check your watch against the ship's clock (my hubby's watch has an alarm function, but I also bring a watch too just in case his watch stops working). If you're planning to sightsee away from the port, and not taking an established tour operator's tour, pad in extra time for your return. If you get back to the port with an half hour to spare, don't go off to shop (which seems to be many passengers' downfall -- if you feel the need to shop, get back even earlier).

If you put in your terms in youtube, you will see videos of people running for cruise ships. It's one of our favorite past times on a cruise at departure time from port, especially in Cozumel.

Thanks Askjojo. I just spent an hour watching YouTube videos. I didn't know that pier runners sometimes get booed. LMAO

If you set your WATCH...not use your cell phone for the time, you will NOT risk missing the ship! No worries! Phones show local time...not SHIP'S TIME!

Phones do not automatically show local time. It depends on both the phone's settings AND whether or not you have a cellular connection that will update the time. If you put the phone in airplane mode, it will NOT update as you change time zones. Also, if you have a CDMA phone and are in Europe, you won't get a signal and it won't update.

An old-fashioned, gasp, wristwatch is your best friend. Also, follow this procedure, just to be sure.

1) Check wristwatch vs ship's time before leaving the ship.

2) Check wristwatch vs local time as you arrive in the terminal building.

If #2 matches, then you can also use publicly displayed clocks to help you keep track of time.

Whenever you go somewhere from the ship....time how long it takes you for the outbound, be it taxi, bus, walking - whatever. Then double that for planning the return trip.

Final tip....take the number of the port agent with you ashore. If, God forbid, you have some kind of emergency, you will be able to communicate with the ship through them.

I keep reading lots of post about people seeing pier runners. That is now my biggest fear...

Welcome to CC and to cruising. I'm sorry that you are afraid about this - that this is your "biggest fear" is quite something to say, as there are other things one could be concerned about! In all our cruises we have never been late back to the ship because we are constantly aware of the time. In whatever we do in port, we give ourselves extra time to get back, be it in the rental car, on foot, what have you.

Please don't be worried about this. Don't give it a second thought. :) OK?

I'm another one that needs to be back aboard one hour prior to departure - that or take one of the ship-sponsored excursions. The ship will wait for their own excursions to return before casting off all lines.:)

If you are late and the ship is pulling out of the dock. You can try these few options

1. Take a tugboat or the pilot boat to join the ship.

2.Go back and enjoy the island/city that you were in.

3.Fly to the next port of call immediately

Option 2 and 3 only applies if you have enough sufficient money/credit card passport with you. Otherwise, find your nearest embassy. If you don't even have an embassy for your country, and neither money nor passport... I really have no idea what to do with you.

Pier Runners are a classic cruise hobby.Enjoy watching it but don't be one of them.

Phones do not automatically show local time. It depends on both the phone's settings AND whether or not you have a cellular connection that will update the time. If you put the phone in airplane mode, it will NOT update as you change time zones. Also, if you have a CDMA phone and are in Europe, you won't get a signal and it won't update.

An old-fashioned, gasp, wristwatch is your best friend. Also, follow this procedure, just to be sure.

1) Check wristwatch vs ship's time before leaving the ship.

2) Check wristwatch vs local time as you arrive in the terminal building.

If #2 matches, then you can also use publicly displayed clocks to help you keep track of time.

Whenever you go somewhere from the ship....time how long it takes you for the outbound, be it taxi, bus, walking - whatever. Then double that for planning the return trip.

Final tip....take the number of the port agent with you ashore. If, God forbid, you have some kind of emergency, you will be able to communicate with the ship through them.

Lots of good advice here. When we were in Germany recently I kept my phone in airplane mode the entire time while DW had her phone active. My phone always showed the time back home and hers always showed the local time. (We had purchased an international plan for her phone but not for mine.)

But I am old school and use the watch on my wrist to keep track of the time. I haven't been on a cruise yet where the time changed (well, not a civilian cruise anyway) but my watch will remain set to ship's time when that time comes.

but my watch will remain set to ship's time when that time comes.

I have never been on a cruise where the ship remains on the embarkation port time. My ships always went with local time and the 'time to be back' on the ship was given in local time.

Ships had a card on the bed indicating whether we had to move your clock back or forward. They also published the time in their onboard flyer and they had a big sign with the 'time to be back' at the exit of the ship. It was pretty difficult to miss three times. ;) And it was not a good idea at all to keep our watch on East Coast time.

We met an older lady who had missed the ship in Nassau. She and her husband had been on a tour. She wanted to shop, he didn't. So he got back on the ship, she shopped. She thought she had to be back by 5. She got to he pier at 5 but the ship had left, she could see it out there.

So, she was taken to a hotel she had to pay for, along with dinner & breakfast. The next morning she was flown, by sea plane, to the next port, Half Moon Cay!

Her husband panicked when he couldn't find her until he was told what happened.

Anyway, missing the ship cost them $1800!

We always try to be back an hour before we have to be.

We always plan to be back on board about an hour before the deadline. My hubby hates waiting in long lines' date=' and the line for security to re-board does start getting long close to the all aboard time.

The only time we weren't back in time was when we were on a tour booked through Princess. Because of weather conditions, the vehicle got back after the time, but the guide was in touch with the ship. As our group was walking up the gangway, the crew was preparing to raise it up immediately.

Those who deliberately disregard the all aboard time are actually being a bit selfish. The time is listed in your ship's newsletter (I always take it with us in port), you can check your watch against the ship's clock (my hubby's watch has an alarm function, but I also bring a watch too just in case his watch stops working). If you're planning to sightsee away from the port, and not taking an established tour operator's tour, pad in extra time for your return. If you get back to the port with an half hour to spare, don't go off to shop (which seems to be many passengers' downfall -- if you feel the need to shop, get back even earlier).[/quote']

We make it a point to be back on board 45 minutes to an hour before the deadline. You're absolutely right about the lines getting longer as it gets closer to the deadline. And besides, getting back early gives us time to grab a drink and find a good spot on the Lido deck to watch for the pier runners. ;):D

We make it a point to be back on board 45 minutes to an hour before the deadline. You're absolutely right about the lines getting longer as it gets closer to the deadline. And besides, getting back early gives us time to grab a drink and find a good spot on the Lido deck to watch for the pier runners. ;):D

it won't be long that instead of happy hour the ships will have PR Hour.

It is very entertaining in Cozumel. Watching all the knuckleheads sprinting back to the ship. The drunks falling down make for many laughs. :p

Gosh, I find no joy in watching "pier runners" trying to get back to the ship on time. It's hard to laugh at an unfortunate situation of another.

The vast majority are not drunk ... just lost track of time which was their own fault but still not funny.

LuLu

Gosh, I find no joy in watching "pier runners" trying to get back to the ship on time. It's hard to laugh at an unfortunate situation of another.

The vast majority are not drunk ... just lost track of time which was their own fault but still not funny.

LuLu

Sorry, I disagree with you. The vast majority ARE drunk. Maybe in most ports there might be other issues - but in Cozumel.... ya okay sure. It is for sure one of the things to do in that port. You can almost set your watch to it. They need to "own" to the situation. You drink, you fall down, what's the problem .... well that what the t-shirt says.

Look, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to take responsibility for your actions and make note of the time. Time 101. Time for dummies. These pier runners, they aren't doing that because they were involved in a car accident or their loved ones were in the hospital. The ship would have known and issues worked out. For the vast majority, they are doing it because they got S*** faced drunk and lost track of the time. If it happens every.... single... time.... in the same port figure it out!

No one wants some one in a bad situation to be left behind. But - when you see someone staggering down the dock, barely able to stand up... or strolling along at leisure holding their shopping bags, while everyone else of the 3000 people on board made it on time, sorry, game on.

I did my shopping on time and got on board. How ignorant do you have to be to not know how to read a watch. Your lack of caring in no way supersedes the fact that you have made yourself more important than they crew and passengers.

You don't get to have it both ways. Either be a responsible adult and do what needs to be done or suffer the consequences of being a self centered individual with people making fun of you.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Sorry, I disagree with you. The vast majority ARE drunk. Maybe in most ports there might be other issues - but in Cozumel.... ya okay sure. It is for sure one of the things to do in that port. You can almost set your watch to it. They need to "own" to the situation. You drink, you fall down, what's the problem .... well that what the t-shirt says.

Look, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to take responsibility for your actions and make note of the time. Time 101. Time for dummies. These pier runners, they aren't doing that because they were involved in a car accident or their loved ones were in the hospital. The ship would have known and issues worked out. For the vast majority, they are doing it because they got S*** faced drunk and lost track of the time. If it happens every.... single... time.... in the same port figure it out!

No one wants some one in a bad situation to be left behind. But - when you see someone staggering down the dock, barely able to stand up... or strolling along at leisure holding their shopping bags, while everyone else of the 3000 people on board made it on time, sorry, game on.

I did my shopping on time and got on board. How ignorant do you have to be to not know how to read a watch. Your lack of caring in no way supersedes the fact that you have made yourself more important than they crew and passengers.

You don't get to have it both ways. Either be a responsible adult and do what needs to be done or suffer the consequences of being a self centered individual with people making fun of you.

Yep!

Thanks Askjojo. I just spent an hour watching YouTube videos. I didn't know that pier runners sometimes get booed. LMAO

If they are just dragging their legs not hurrying we keep our mouths shut but if they are truly hurrying to get back on the ship we are one of the few that clap our hands and cheer them on to welcome them back.

If they are just dragging their legs not hurrying we keep our mouths shut but if they are truly hurrying to get back on the ship we are one of the few that clap our hands and cheer them on to welcome them back.

actually I believe the proper etiquette is to boo the slackers and cheer the runners.