Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

I disagree with all of you.

Warnings are important. If needed warnings are omitted then the

responsibility should fall back for damages of consequences.

1) Celebrity should provide port insurance. If the port is skipped, the

insurance is paid in the amount of coverage purchased.

2) Celebrity MUST warn that certain ports have a history of issues and

consideration must be given that these ports may be skipped should

issues of substance resurface. In other words, cruises to possible hot

spots have a likelihood you are not going to stop there!

Just my opinion from 60 years of cruising and multi-airline million miler.

I disagree with all of you.

Warnings are important. If needed warnings are omitted then the

responsibility should fall back for damages of consequences.

2) Celebrity MUST warn that certain ports have a history of issues and

consideration must be given that these ports may be skipped should

issues of substance resurface. In other words, cruises to possible hot

spots have a likelihood you are not going to stop there!

Isn't that possibility already implicit in the contract? Actually, not implicit, but clearly stated.

If you're planning to travel to one of the world's hotspots, isn't there a little bit of onus on the traveller to be prepared for a potential cancellation?

Do you wonder if it was our OP?

Ha! My first thought, too! Or the other one who did his own thing.

But, seriously, there is a time and place for complaining and causing a scene in the theater is not the way to do it. It's not like the captain is going to suddenly say "You're right! We're on our way now!" Decisions like this are made at headquarters. Even if you feel the need to rant at the captain as a representative of the company, don't make everyone else uncomfortable with a public outburst.

But, seriously, there is a time and place for complaining and causing a scene in the theater is not the way to do it. It's not like the captain is going to suddenly say "You're right! We're on our way now!" Decisions like this are made at headquarters. Even if you feel the need to rant at the captain as a representative of the company, don't make everyone else uncomfortable with a public outburst.

100% agree!

Haven't read the thread and on the cruise. I've never seen a bigger group of winers. on any cruise. A small, but very focal group one man stood up and yelled at the Captain during the Captain's Toast. Last night. I understand that he has now left the ship. Don't know if he left on his owner he was invited to lave. In Crete today, one of he added ports. Also added are Santorini and Rhodes.

Thanks for the update, Charles. Hope that the rest of your cruise is good. :)

Sounds like it might be a case of: unhappy passengers + unlimited drink package = awkward public situations. :rolleyes:

Yep! I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You also need to be mindful of the possible consequences. Swapping a few ports is one thing. Missing a lot of your cruise because you've been put off the ship is another.

Phil

Haven't read the thread and on the cruise. I've never seen a bigger group of winers. on any cruise. A small, but very focal group one man stood up and yelled at the Captain during the Captain's Toast. Last night. I understand that he has now left the ship. Don't know if he left on his owner he was invited to lave. In Crete today, one of he added ports. Also added are Santorini and Rhodes.

Do you mean whining, or is it a voyage of wine-o passengers?

I don't envy you. Hopefully the wining will subside or you can avoid them that do. There is absolutely no excuse for yelling at the Captain during his Toast.

Phil

Not in the case of force majeure.

Are you sure that's the case? Invoking force majeure for a schedule change requires a bit more of a reason. Force Majeure is the "act of God" circumstance. It's not generally applicable to schedule changes, maintenance issues, and so on. If you are being quoted a force majeure exception, get a WRITTEN response from the travel provider. If Celebrity tries to use force majeure on a regular basis, that's a very bad sign because it means that they tend to operate recklessly. (For the record, I don't think that X invokes force majeure nearly as often as it would appear from CruiseCritic.)

Are you sure that's the case? Invoking force majeure for a schedule change requires a bit more of a reason. Force Majeure is the "act of God" circumstance. It's not generally applicable to schedule changes, maintenance issues, and so on. If you are being quoted a force majeure exception, get a WRITTEN response from the travel provider. If Celebrity tries to use force majeure on a regular basis, that's a very bad sign because it means that they tend to operate recklessly. (For the record, I don't think that X invokes force majeure nearly as often as it would appear from CruiseCritic.)

The whole point is that Celebrity does not invoke it often if ever.

We're not talking about maintenance or changing a schedule for convenience, it's a safety issue beyond their control. Of course something like that would have to be tested in court but I wouldn't want to pursue what could very possibly be a losing case.

Most people understand when ports are changed because of safety concerns.

Do you wonder why Celebrity waits until the last minute to do things like cancel a port, despite the fact that they knew that there were problems in the region at least a week before? It's all because of the money. If they had cancelled the Israeli ports a week or more before the cruise was scheduled to depart, you can bet a very large number of passengers would have cancelled, especially those who had insurance that covered such things. But no, Celebrity decided to cancel the day before, so that made it impossible for people to cancel----most passengers were already making their way to Rome.

How sad ....hope you find some happy folks on board. Those are great ports...albeit not Israel. For some it is a once in a lifetime trip ... but losing Israel is no excuse to be rude to the Master of the Ship.

We have deferred travel to Israel but someday hope to make the trip. Our brother in law has family in Jerusalem and they have urged him not to visit this yr.

Hope you enjoy your cruise...

P. S We still recall the synagogue at Rhodes in the old part...lots of history in Rhodes for all to absorb......great coffee, shopping....architecture.

Edited by hcat

Do you wonder why Celebrity waits until the last minute to do things like cancel a port, despite the fact that they knew that there were problems in the region at least a week before? It's all because of the money. If they had cancelled the Israeli ports a week or more before the cruise was scheduled to depart, you can bet a very large number of passengers would have cancelled, especially those who had insurance that covered such things. But no, Celebrity decided to cancel the day before, so that made it impossible for people to cancel----most passengers were already making their way to Rome.

I was on the same Holy Land itinerary on the Silhouette in October 2014 and we did make the Israeli ports, but from June onward (before final payment) the situation was uncertain, and I think then, as now, almost everyone knew that there was a possibility that the Israel ports would be cancelled. Many people made the decision to cancel at final payment, but most did not. The people who did not cancel understood for the most part that Celebrity would proceed "with an abundance of caution" (as was evidenced on the Roll Call and the main Celebrity thread).

I am not as cynical as to think that Celebrity knew that they would cancel the Israeli ports, but chose not to cancel them a week or so before the cruise just to continue to book last minute cabins. I think that Celebrity knows that anyone who was still on the cruise really wanted to go to Israel, and held off cancelling as long as there was any chance that the ports could still be accessed without taking unacceptable risks. I am sure that Celebrity has access to much more current and detailed information than the rest of us as regards the advisability of sailing into any port, and I trust that Celebrity will always make the final decision with the safety of the passengers and crew at the forefront.

I understand the concerns of passengers who were not happy about the ports that were substituted, particularly if they had been to all of those ports before and I have empathy for their position. I'm not sure that Celebrity would have had a lot of options at the point that they finally have to make the decision to pull the Israeli ports.

It would be interesting to know what elements comprise the $500,000 costs to re-route the ship, as mentioned at the Captain's toast on the current sailing.

Edited by elena7seas