Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

We were on Reflection last month and Istanbul was cancelled. Loved Rhodes but Chania was a complete waste. Please do NOT buy the hop on hop off bus tickets.... believe me NO ONE hops off. There is nothing to see. Just use it as a relaxing ship day.

I disagree. Chania has a beautiful Italian Harbor. Also a really nice Old City shopping area near the harbor. Don't do hop on hop off. Take the shuttle from the dock to Chania and walk from the bus stop to the harbor and Old City.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I disagree. Chania has a beautiful Italian Harbor. Also a really nice Old City shopping area near the harbor. Don't do hop on hop off. Take the shuttle from the dock to Chania and walk from the bus stop to the harbor and Old City.

That's what we did in August on Constellation and we had a lovely time there.

Phil

It's been almost 4 years so maybe it isn't there anymore but I seem to remember a really neat (Roman? Or older?) archaeological excavation right out in the open in Chania that we walked to from the harbor area--it was fenced but with fencing you can see through. It had very good signage (with English translations) and we spent about 45 minutes or so being fascinated by it.

It's been almost 4 years so maybe it isn't there anymore but I seem to remember a really neat (Roman? Or older?) archaeological excavation right out in the open in Chania that we walked to from the harbor area--it was fenced but with fencing you can see through. It had very good signage (with English translations) and we spent about 45 minutes or so being fascinated by it.

In Chania???

I think you must be thinking of some other place...

Chania is a city on the Greek Island of Crete. Nearby are the ruins of the Minoan civilization & from what I recall predates the golden period of Greece. The ruins include a palace and museum . The people were short and I recall seeing a little bathtub in the museum.

Edited by dabear

I think Celebrity are being tardy for a reason. Leave change as late as possible and they won't have to deal with disappointed guests for as many days, not to mention there are still a good number of cabins yet to be sold on an advertised itinerary that is unlikely to happen. I'm sure they haven't been caught on the hop with the situation in Israel. Perhaps the complaints about losing overnights in Istanbul has put them on their guard!

Phil

It's very poor considering it's just about certain to be off limits, to sell cabins for that cruise, with the same itinerary at this point is out of order in my view.
I hope you are both wrong about Celebrity's motivations . My hope is that they are continuously monitoring the situation, and hoping for calm, to avoid disappointing passengers such as the OP . If you are right , Shame on them ! :mad:

Chania is a city on the Greek Island of Crete. Nearby are the ruins of the Minoan civilization & from what I recall predates the golden period of Greece. The ruins include a palace and museum . The people were short and I recall seeing a little bathtub in the museum.

I am puzzled. Are you thinking of the palace of Knossos? That is near Heraklion (another port on Crete), but not near Souda port or Chania....

There is an excellent archaeological museum in Heraklion and a very small one in Chania.

In Chania???

I think you must be thinking of some other place...

It was indeed Chania. I just went back and looked at my cruise review I posted from my November 2011 cruise. Here's my paragraph on Chania:

Then, we had Crete. This was a port that I felt was kind of "bleh" before the cruise, not seeing any shore excursions of interest and not finding anything in Rick Steves' book that sounded interesting. We took the 1.5 Euro bus from the port into Chania, walked around the harbor (lovely place) and visited the archaeological museum--well worth the fee. Then we spent a bit of time perusing the shops in the marketplace (didn't buy anything, as usual) and walked back to the bus. On the way we found an open-air archaeological site that was interesting to read about--thank goodness most signs there and in the museum were in English as well as Greek! All in all it was a very nice relaxing day and now I want to move to Crete!

It was indeed Chania. I just went back and looked at my cruise review I posted from my November 2011 cruise. Here's my paragraph on Chania:

Then, we had Crete. This was a port that I felt was kind of "bleh" before the cruise, not seeing any shore excursions of interest and not finding anything in Rick Steves' book that sounded interesting. We took the 1.5 Euro bus from the port into Chania, walked around the harbor (lovely place) and visited the archaeological museum--well worth the fee. Then we spent a bit of time perusing the shops in the marketplace (didn't buy anything, as usual) and walked back to the bus. On the way we found an open-air archaeological site that was interesting to read about--thank goodness most signs there and in the museum were in English as well as Greek! All in all it was a very nice relaxing day and now I want to move to Crete!

Interesting. I certainly didn't run across it -- I guess you are talking about the ruins of Kydonia?

I am puzzled. Are you thinking of the palace of Knossos? That is near Heraklion (another port on Crete), but not near Souda port or Chania....

There is an excellent archaeological museum in Heraklion and a very small one in Chania.

You are right. I guess my memory from over 40 years ago was off a port.

We are in the lounge at Heathrow waiting to fly to Rome, the UK Gov advice is clear and states tension remains high and you should consider the risk of further incidents.

Had the original itinerary gone ahead we would not have gone to Jerusalem at this time.

Have Celebrity made the right decision? No one knows.

Everyone would know if it was wrong!

Totally off subject, but Greetings from Haworth, New Jersey!! Go Brontes!!

Just came back from a full day in Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, Israel museum, Western

wall. lots of Israeli security and our driver/guide was packing a hand gun in full view.

Got the tour van at the hotel upon arriving in Israel. Now dinner in Jaffa and a test of nightlife in Tel Aviv. Tomorrow the northern part of Israel, might stay in Tsfad.

We will rejoin the ship in Rhodes.

prices:

Rome to Tel Aviv $93+25 bag fee.

Tel Aviv Hilton $122 per room per night.

Guide and van $350 per day, we are 5.

All was decided over dinner at Rome when we got the news.

Take care, stay safe.

I hope you return safely, but I share your spirit. We did something similar last year when this ship missed Bali (and Komodo) and made it happen on our own.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity had given us a sizeable onboard credit once in Alaska when we missed a port due to THEIR mechanical failure. In turn, they had obtain a sizeable amount of money from the makers of the pod propulsion systems on the M-class ships that created the situation. In the case of mechanical failure, which is due to the cruiseline/ship, Celebrity has indeed stepped up to the plate.

We were also compensated when Celebrity canceled our cruise in favor of a charter almost a year prior to the cruise. In the case of Celebrity opting for a change to benefit their bottom line, they did again step up to the plate however, some saw the compensation nearly enough. To me, it was definitely fair but not overly generous.

This is a completely different situation -- and not the fault of Celebrity so would not expect them to dole huge sums of compensation. Although, free alcohol for those that drink does seem to calm the masses.

We've twice received OBC or FCC when ports were altered. Once last year for Bermuda when we went to Florida and the Bhamas instead and the other time when our Gens of Indonesia Cruise missed Indonesia. Everyone on board was given OBC for Bermuda and for the Indonesia cruise, FCC and OBC so they do do it when it is weather. The Indonesia issue was a disagreement with the local government that just seemed to impact our cruise.

Happy sailing.

Jenna

I agree and I'm wondering if anyone complaining watches Television, that will give you the answer. 1 dead, 10 injured in a bus station today.

While it is disappointing to miss a port ( Curaçao for us) the OP needs to realise that the world doesn't revolve around them.

There is so much unrest in Europe today, I seriously wonder if Celebrity will pull out of some ports for next years itineraries. This is not new, in 2012, Celebrity re- routed Constellation away from the Eastern Mediterranean to Amsterdam/ Southampton and finished the season with wine cruises to Iberia.

I only know this as a 2 day Amsterdam - Southampton became available, which we took- not too many short cruises out of Southampton are available!

There were quests on that cruise who should have been sailing Israel/ Egypt.

Edited by upwarduk

I agree and I'm wondering if anyone complaining watches Television, that will give you the answer. 1 dead, 10 injured in a bus station today.

While at the same time... "A bloody weekend of gun violence in New York City has left six people dead. In just 48 hours, 25 people across four boroughs were shot, CBS reports."

Which I guess is perfectly normal - or should cruise ships now stop calling at New York?

The different standards set by most on this forum baffles me. Any violence anywhere except the U.S. and we should ban the place.

No formal negative travel advice for Israel still from the U.S., UK or EU. Just suggestions to be cautious. The difference between the two is key... with a formal negative advice, in the EU, you get your money back... as happened with the Ukraine, Tunisia and Egypt.

Instead of complaining about not docking in Israel, you should thank Celebrity cruises for making a difficult and smart decision. Last year, our land tour company kept hedging about whether or not we should go to Israel. While officially the 2014 war was over, there was still bombs going off and people getting killed. I was uncomfortable in the Old City. Being close enough to hear the bombs going off and watching the military rushing in was enough to make me say that I would never go to Israel again. However, never say never. We booked the Silhouette Oct. 3 knowing that it went to Israel. We also knew that if things were unsafe that Celebrity would change the ports. We did land in Israel, used a private guide who avoided dangerous areas. We avoided the Old City except for a brief stop at the Western Wall. We were driven into the Old City and left quickly. Old City was empty except for lots of military. And that was 2 weeks ago. I was happy to get out of Israel. I know that deciding not to go to Israel was a tough decision for Celebrity. I respect them for trying to make their guests and crew safe. While I realize that going to Israel is a life dream for many, safety is more important. Instead of blasting Celebrity, you ought to praise them for doing the right thing. Enjoy your cruise.

While at the same time... "A bloody weekend of gun violence in New York City has left six people dead. In just 48 hours, 25 people across four boroughs were shot, CBS reports."

Which I guess is perfectly normal - or should cruise ships now stop calling at New York?

The different standards set by most on this forum baffles me. Any violence anywhere except the U.S. and we should ban the place.

No formal negative travel advice for Israel still from the U.S., UK or EU. Just suggestions to be cautious. The difference between the two is key... with a formal negative advice, in the EU, you get your money back... as happened with the Ukraine, Tunisia and Egypt.

Totally different situation and they are not different standards. Its just common sense. Celebrity isn't letting people off the ship to go to some home in the Bronx where a man and woman are having an argument. i don't believe I even have to explain this. Wow, glad I didn't get involved in this thread with an argument like that.

I feel for those who are missing going to Israel but those who are actually denying there is a problem and trying to rationalize it is just unreal.

Edited by dkjretired

I guess perception trumps reality . I understand why the stop in Israel was cancelled but

the posts saying "Be grateful - They are saving your life's ! " are too much .

Celebrity are in a no win situation here.

Some people don't think Israel should be dropped because there there is no US travel advisory explicitly saying don't go. If Celebrity did go ahead and heaven forbid there was some sort of incident people would screaming "didn't you see what the UK travel advisory was saying"

Edited by DYKWIA