Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

Politics aside, ever since US told our ambassador in another location that he'd be safe, we follow trvl advisories from other nations/sources as well as those who have just returned or live there.

Cruise line has responsibility to ALL their passengers and crew....no one wants to be a sitting duck in an unsafe port or be left behind if the ship has to leave early

I sincerely expect cancelled X excursions will come back to credit cards as unused OBC and they should cover pvt excursions too b/c of short notice.

We are planning on doing a similar cruise next year and have been most interested to see what Celebrity does when the situation escalates. My wife is already nervous about even booking a cruise that goes to Israel. I assured her that X wouldn't go if there were issues there. I think that X's action with this cruise will make her more comfortable about possibly going next year; since she now knows that X won't stop in a port with the type violence that is going on there now.

I would be crushed to go on a Holy Land cruise that doesn't go to the Holy Land; but I also know that with the potential violence in the area, stopping in Israel or Istanbul is not guaranteed. If we miss it, we will try again when things have calmed down some.

A lot (most?) of us choose a cruise based on its itinerary and are disappointed when changes are made to port stops. You should check the threads resulting from Celebrity's decision to drop ports to accommodate overnight stops in others if you doubt how important port selection is to passengers. IMO, suggesting that the OP or others switch to land vacations displays a lack of understanding of why we cruise.

No - what it displays is a lack of an understanding of the reality of cruising by some and how itineraries can and do change as a common occurrence. A cruise for the sole purpose of visiting a specific destination is a risky proposition.

It also shows how important insurance is, especially when an itinerary involves a call in areas known to be in a state of upheaval, and how some people choose not to bother with that protection.

If the ship itself wasn't an important part of the cruise experience, they would nt bother with the food, entertainment and activities. They'd give you a cabin and buffet and fill it with many more cabins.] instead of wasting space with theatre pool and night clubs. The ship is a floating resort, resorts are destinations in and of themselves. But cruising offers the ability to see different locations each morning, whatever they may be.

Edited by cle-guy

It also shows how important insurance is, especially when an itinerary involves a call in areas known to be in a state of upheaval, and how some people choose not to bother with that protection.

There is no official warning or other trigger for insurance....dangerous isn't an insurance trigger, nor is reported terrorism.

Would cancel at anytime insurance cover this as well as all the non-refundable costs (airfare+)?

Edited by ghstudio

No - what it displays is a lack of an understanding of the reality of cruising by some and how itineraries can and do change as a common occurrence. A cruise for the sole purpose of visiting a specific destination is a risky proposition.

If the ship itself wasn't an important part of the cruise experience, they would nt bother with the food, entertainment and activities. They'd give you a cabin and buffet and fill it with many more cabins.] instead of wasting space with theatre pool and night clubs. The ship is a floating resort, resorts are destinations in and of themselves. But cruising offers the ability to see different locations each morning, whatever they may be.

Well said!

If you book something and for whatever reason they can't deliver then you should be entitled to cancel. You pay for Israel and you get Greece is not the same holiday you paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is called insurance:D

Just wondering if the Israeli Port fees will be refunded?

I suppose it depends on the cost of those ports to Celebrity, compared to the 'New' ports to be visited.

I hope OP ( or other cruisers on Shiloutte) come back to update us.

The situation in Isreal has escalated over the last few days which is not the fault of Celebrity, the title of the thread is ridiculous. Sorry but I honestly don't understand the logic of some people who think any cruise company with any level of responsibility for its customers would have done anything different. You can't just find wonderful ports of call at the last minute. I'm hoping to book the same cruise next year but I'm well aware it could end up being changed.

Politics aside, ever since US told our ambassador in another location that he'd be safe, we follow trvl advisories from other nations/sources as well as those who have just returned or live there.

Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sorry to all those onboard for this cruise, I know that it must be very disappointing. I know people who booked this cruise just for the ports that were cancelled, when they told me that they booked this cruise back in April I told them to be prepared for those stops to be cancelled. Other cruise lines cancelled these stops months ago. Celebrity had a hard time selling this cruise into June, at one time there were more than 300 cabins available and I told my friends that they would only cancel at the last minute because they wanted to sell more cabins before they made any adjustments to the ports of call. Celebrity, as a business, had to make this call. They do not make it based on what they believe can happen, but on the premise that if something does happen it will be devastating to the families with loved ones on the ship and yes, how it will hurt the cruise lines bottom line if something would happen. When you are booking a cruise always remember that the cruise line is not your friend they are a business that has to consider many things, passenger safety is one of those things along with the intangible things for them such as lawsuits and loss of reputation if something were to happen.

I also believe that if you wanted to visit the Holy Land you should take a few days before a cruise and do it on your own, that way you have the final say to go or not to go at a time of unrest. I know that it is not always financially possible to do both, but if the Holy Land is your only or main reason for going on this cruise then you should either do it that way or just take a week on a land or independent tour.

I have read throughout this thread that people onboard don't need a lecture, that is true, but they also have to admit that this change should not have been a surprise because of what has been happening there over the last month. I just hope that all those onboard have a great time and create some great memories.

Edited by Maverick Cruiser

Really?? Tell me what you would do for two days and a night on your fourth stop in Athens? Once you have been to the Acropolis, there really isn't much else of interest. Shopping for junk in the Plaka?

No evidence that the OP has been to Athens three times before; I suspect you're highly a-typical.

Stuart

ImageUploadedByForums1445095263.213588.jpg.a6577e768b3825c491660c09c91ec3dd.jpg. From gov.uk. What difference does it make if you're on a land tour. You are still in danger. Think Tunis. Some tourists went back even though there were warnings. Look what happened. Celebrity is sending a message they don't think Israel is safe for tourists now.

Really?? Tell me what you would do for two days and a night on your fourth stop in Athens? Once you have been to the Acropolis, there really isn't much else of interest. Shopping for junk in the Plaka?

If the State Department have issued a warning against traveling to Israel, I would take Celebrity's position more seriously!

I have had ports of call changed on almost every cruise I've ever taken. It's never been a big deal. But this IS a big deal, this is a very unique itinerary and the only thing different about it is the Israel ports. That's what makes it so disappointing. And to add insult to injury, they waited until the very last minute to make the announcement. Obviously they have been planning this for a while, since they have had time to add these additional ports, and it would really have been nice if they would've alerted us before we left home!

If you have had ports changed on almost every cruise you have taken, you of all people should know that it would be foolish to book a cruise to any particular port that you MUST see. :confused:

I would book this cruise for one reason: to see Israel. Yet, like the OP, I am a veteran cruiser, and therefore know that it states clearly in the edocs that Celebrity or the Captain has the right to change or cancel a port if necessary. This is nothing new. You signed the papers agreeing to these terms and conditions.

I have to agree with those that say Israel is better left for a land trip although still wonderful by ship . Besides the danger issue , without Egyptian stops, you have two sea days getting to/from there unless you stop in Cyprus (which for whatever reason they don't).

The situation in Israel is so dire that Israelis have been advised to carry firearms when they venture out.
So ? Many people do the same in the USA .

BTW , who is advising Israeli's to do so ?

Edited by richstowe

re: the US State Department Travel Warnings:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html

We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years.

The US State Department has had an active travel warning posted for Israel, the West Bank and Gaza since February 2015:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/israel-travel-warning.html

The security environment remains complex in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza, and U.S. citizens need to be aware of the continuing risks of travel to these areas, particularly to areas described in this Travel Warning where there are heightened tensions and security risks. The security situation can change day to day, depending on the political situation, recent events, and geographic area.

All bold is mine...

re: the US State Department Travel Warnings:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html

The US State Department has had an active travel warning posted for Israel, the West Bank and Gaza since February 2015:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/israel-travel-warning.html

All bold is mine...

Proof that the US State Department had issued travel warnings.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

I am sorry to all those onboard for this cruise, I know that it must be very disappointing. I know people who booked this cruise just for the ports that were cancelled, when they told me that they booked this cruise back in April I told them to be prepared for those stops to be cancelled. Other cruise lines cancelled these stops months ago. Celebrity had a hard time selling this cruise into June, at one time there were more than 300 cabins available and I told my friends that they would only cancel at the last minute because they wanted to sell more cabins before they made any adjustments to the ports of call. Celebrity, as a business, had to make this call. They do not make it based on what they believe can happen, but on the premise that if something does happen it will be devastating to the families with loved ones on the ship and yes, how it will hurt the cruise lines bottom line if something would happen. When you are booking a cruise always remember that the cruise line is not your friend they are a business that has to consider many things, passenger safety is one of those things along with the intangible things for them such as lawsuits and loss of reputation if something were to happen.

I also believe that if you wanted to visit the Holy Land you should take a few days before a cruise and do it on your own, that way you have the final say to go or not to go at a time of unrest. I know that it is not always financially possible to do both, but if the Holy Land is your only or main reason for going on this cruise then you should either do it that way or just take a week on a land or independent tour.

I have read throughout this thread that people onboard don't need a lecture, that is true, but they also have to admit that this change should not have been a surprise because of what has been happening there over the last month. I just hope that all those onboard have a great time and create some great memories.

Could not have put it better myself, anyone could have seen this coming. Celebrity goes, a few passengers end up killed, and all hell breaks loose. Celebrity are covering themselves from every angle here and I think most on here are experienced and worldly wise enough to know that's what big companies do every day of the week.

Hi, op here. Read everyone's comments with interest. Especially enjoyed those that said tough, or words to that effect - hopefully they will have a vacation they have waited a year for ruined for them one day soon

I do not need a cruise line to look after my safety - i would never have been allowed to go to London for work while the ira were active if they were in charge

I would have happily signed a waiver exonerating them while I was in Israel

Just as big an issue of missing the whole point of this trip is the fact that it is due to rain in Greece for much of the week they are planning there while Israel basks in 30 degrees

I feel for the front desk staff tomorrow - it could be a long day for them

I will still have a good time on my med cruise that I have paid twice as much for as if it were advertised as a med cruise, but it's certainly taught me a lesson for future vacation plans

First of all, I am so very sorry that your itinerary has changed. It's most certainly a port specific cruise and such a change is beyond disappointing. However, your placing the blame on Celebrity for world events beyond their control.

Your statement that you would happily sign a waiver is absurd. Are you exonerating them if you are held hostage or killed? What about your fellow passengers and the crew? Are they not entitled to feel safe when traveling?

One of the benefits of cruising is that the ports can change if weather or political unrest would disrupt the trip.

Israel has been on my bucket list for a long time but I have yet to book anything due to the volatility in the area. I have a friend that is scheduled to fly there next week for a 2 week land vacation. I'll reach out to him and see if it's still a go.

Glad to hear you plan to enjoy yourself. Hopefully you'll get there someday.

My heart goes out to the OP and others on this ship.:(

Sure, safety first, but come on...these folks have spent a lot of time and money planning for a cruise that will now never be. They have a right to be somewhat upset. I'd be pissed, too. Who, wouldn't??

Let's cut them some slack and instead be a bit more supportive.

I agree with you completely. When I first started reading this post, I was thinking "Really?" :confused:

Then, right before I read your post, I was just questioning my husband about how upset we might be after booking the most expensive cruise we've booked and they canceled the only port we were really interested in going to? Well, we booked that Mardi Gras cruise where the Equinox will be docked in New Orleans for 3 days. We are saving up for it right now as it is really something we want to do and as mentioned, it is pricey ....especially for an inside cabin.

We've been in a mini-suite for a longer cruise for less than this is costing us. Now, let's just imagine that the New Orleans portion was cancelled and we were only given a day or two notice? We'd be really disappointed after looking so forward to it. We will definitely buy insurance so it won't devastate us but we'd be more than a bit crushed after looking forward to this for so long....so I do have compassion for the people that are missing out on their dream trip.

With this being said, I still think Celebrity has made the right decision. It may seem like very short notice, and it is, but they were probably scrambling like crazy to both find new ports of call as well as making that final decision as to whether or not they were going to make thousands of passengers irate over unknown circumstances. When the violence escalated, I am sure they felt as though they had no other choice.

PS - I am not sure I would entrust my safety with the word of a tour guide over the state dept's warning

I agree with you completely. When I first started reading this post, I was thinking "Really?" :confused:

Then, right before I read your post, I was just questioning my husband about how upset we might be after booking the most expensive cruise we've booked and they canceled the only port we were really interested in going to? Well, we booked that Mardi Gras cruise where the Equinox will be docked in New Orleans for 3 days. We are saving up for it right now as it is really something we want to do and as mentioned, it is pricey ....especially for an inside cabin.

We've been in a mini-suite for a longer cruise for less than this is costing us. Now, let's just imagine that the New Orleans portion was cancelled and we were only given a day or two notice? We'd be really disappointed after looking so forward to it. We will definitely buy insurance so it won't devastate us but we'd be more than a bit crushed after looking forward to this for so long....so I do have compassion for the people that are missing out on their dream trip.

With this being said, I still think Celebrity has made the right decision. It may seem like very short notice, and it is, but they were probably scrambling like crazy to both find new ports of call as well as making that final decision as to whether or not they were going to make thousands of passengers irate over unknown circumstances. When the violence escalated, I am sure they felt as though they had no other choice.

PS - I am not sure I would entrust my safety with the word of a tour guide over the state dept's warning

Of course all of this is correct, there are however certain cruises that are far more at risk of alterations than others and this was always one most likely to see port changes. This was from July last year.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5923

We were on a private tour in Istanbul. Had just left the ship area when trouble started there was tear gas being let off and crowds surrounding our van our driver acted quickly and turned off air con etc. There we shop windows being smashed. That was scary enough and they were protesting over a park being built on. I would rather miss a port and be safe. :)

I booked months ago because my trip spent three days in Israel

I have just been informed 12 hours before I leave that it is going to some boring stops in Greece instead

Nothing I can do of course, but I would never have booked this trip if I had known

why do you think celebrity has done this ?

Safety is the most important thing , they have the right to due this , check your contract.