Ship Time vs Country time

Anniam6

I am trying to figure out what time I will be in Roatan. The NCL website says the Star will be in Roatan November 3, 2015 from 11 - 7. Do they take into account daylight savings time ? I'm trying to set up a dive time with a dive shop and they need to know when we will be in port Roatan time. I'm doing 2 of my 4 Open Water dives if we have enough time.

Thanks. I hope I am not too confusing :)

Ships time is ALL THAT MATTERS. Don't worry about local time AT ALL. Use a WATCH...set it to the time the ship's clocks show.DO not worry about the local time. If you're booking a private tour, they will know how this works. You will go by SHIP'S TIME!!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

The thing to be careful about is getting back to the ship on time. In some cases ship's time and local time are not the same. Anyone using their cellphone may have the incorrect time.

Ships time is ALL THAT MATTERS. Don't worry about local time AT ALL. Use a WATCH...set it to the time the ship's clocks show.DO not worry about the local time. If you're booking a private tour, they will know how this works. You will go by SHIP'S TIME!!!!!

WOW! The OP is NOT asking about what time to be back on board. The OP is essentially asking if the ship matches the local time. And I fully expect NCL to match the local time.

Anniam6, in the vast majority of times, the ship matches the local time. But, to be sure, ask over on the NCL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

to get more specific info on NCL's policy on local time.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Most of the time NCL uses local time...BUT...I have been on a couple of NCL cruises where in certain ports they did not.

NCL will inform you when you need to change your watch, with an announcement in the ship's daily paper, the Freestyle Daily, and your stateroom steward will also leave a reminder card on your bed when they do the evening turn down service.

I am trying to figure out what time I will be in Roatan. The NCL website says the Star will be in Roatan November 3, 2015 from 11 - 7. Do they take into account daylight savings time ? I'm trying to set up a dive time with a dive shop and they need to know when we will be in port Roatan time. I'm doing 2 of my 4 Open Water dives if we have enough time.

Thanks. I hope I am not too confusing :)

As a general rule NCL switches ship time to correspond to local time, so your 11:00 a.m. arrival should be Roatan time (if NCL follows its usual practice).

Edited by zqvol

. . .

Anniam6, in the vast majority of times, the ship matches the local time. But, to be sure, ask over on the NCL board, here: . . .

This is not true. Most lines do not change ship time to match local time, NCL is one of the few exceptions to this rule.

It has been my experience that any excursion operator worth dealing with KNOWS the arrival/departure time for the cruise ships visiting their port.

Having said this, most cruise lines, most of the time, have ship's time match local time. However, the lack of world standardization for daylight savings time creates a problem with this "general rule" every spring/fall.

The cruise lines like to keep the ship's time/local time thing kinda vague to make it difficult for people to book excursions independently. Again, the dive company should be the people that tell you when the ship arrives and tells you when/where you should be.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

WOW! The OP is NOT asking about what time to be back on board. The OP is essentially asking if the ship matches the local time. And I fully expect NCL to match the local time.

Anniam6, in the vast majority of times, the ship matches the local time. But, to be sure, ask over on the NCL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

to get more specific info on NCL's policy on local time.

Thank you. I'll pop over and ask! :)

This is not true. Most lines do not change ship time to match local time, NCL is one of the few exceptions to this rule.

Have been on 8 cruises on HAL. They switch to match local time. Have been on 5 cruises on Princess, they switch to match local time. Have been on 4 cruises on RCI. They switch to match local time. Only one I have heard doesn't consistently switch is Carnival.

If you tell the dive company the name of your ship and the time they say they're in port, and you're booking an all-day trip, then your dive company will be able to find out the details. Let them know your concern that the ship may be running an eccentric time zone.

Well, I've cruised with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Holland America - to many countries - and I've yet to experience a cruise where the ship's time did not change to the local country's time.

Besides NCL, when we were on HAL, on RCI, on Oceania, those all changed ship time to match local time.

Let me see - from personal experience, all of these lines (listed alphabetically) change the time:

AMA

Celebrity

Crystal

Holland America

Oceania

Princess

Regent

Royal Caribbean

Seabourn

Silversea

Windstar

Guess that "most lines" must include a hell of a lot of other ships.

And FWIW, one time had a double time change in the North Pacific - two hours in one day, once at 2am and once at 2pm.