Cruising with teens!

tak6318

We have our first cruise booked and have one room reserved for my family of 4 that includes two teens! I am trying to keep room costs down so we are able to do more excursions. I would love feedback on this! Thanks!!

Folks do 1 cabin for 4 all the time. And others are right...your comfort level will depend on the ship and the size of the cabin....some are just shy of 200 Sq. ft. (and remember, the sq. footage includes the tiny bathroom space), while others are MUCH smaller.....not even close to "hotel room" size!

The teens will only be in the cabin to sleep...guaranteed! Too much for them to do outside of the cabin!

Look at the deck plans, and find out the sq. footage of your cabin type!

It is definitely do-able to have the 4 of you in one cabin. As others have mentioned let us know the ship and type of cabin you have booked and we will be able to give you some additional help.

A few things that go across all. Get an over the door shoe hanger (you can get cheap in walmart/target etc. Use that to hold all the little stuff you will have with you, sunscreens, sunglasses, chargers, etc.

Bring a small powerstrip. Most cruise lines will allow small ones to be brought onboard, some prohibit large ones. With kids you will have phones (in airplane mode to use as cameras), ipads, etc to keep charged up. Most cabins only have one or two outlets.

The gym has showers that can be used by anyone. If bathroom space and shower time is tight take advantage of that.

My kids are past the teen years but we always sat down with them before we cruised and made sure they understood the rules of the ship (both the cruise line and ours) as well as the consequences if the rules were not followed. On the family board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 you can find a number of version of contracts used by families. Good place to see what are the issues you may need to worry about. Remember you will get lots of opinions, think about your kids, family, and see what will and won't work for you, each family is different.

We found cruising to be a great way to travel for our family. It gave us family time (dinners, ports, some shows) as well as time to do what each of us wanted so it is a win win for us. Hope you enjoy as much as we do.

We have our first cruise booked and have one room reserved for my family of 4 that includes two teens! I am trying to keep room costs down so we are able to do more excursions. I would love feedback on this! Thanks!!

+1 to akcruz's comments

Our first cruise was with our teens as well. We were on a budget so my TA friend booked us an inside cabin near the gym. My DS and I used the gym showers while DW & DD used the cabins. We spent very little time in the cabins as there was too much to do and explore onboard for a first-timer.

I have 5 children, married to teenage. We stay 4 in a room every time we cruise. We don't have a problem with it but we are used to being close. (My three girls shared a room at home and the two boys had a room that barely fit the bed and dresser. So closeness is not an issue for us. ) We are never in the room that much anyway. We take naps and change but usually we are out and about. Enjoy your cruise!

I cruised as a single mom with my two teens for years, the three of us in the lowest category inside cabin. They aren't teens anymore, we all survived and made some wonderful memories together.

Find the closest restrooms and spa showers as soon as you board and you will be fine.

Jojo

If the kids are over 15 or so, don't over plan for them. They will find their own way and have a much better time if they are allowed to do what they want on the ship. Plan on dinners and being off the ship together but the rest of the time everyone will have a much better time if they are allowed to do their own thing.

Cruising Carnival Conquest in Nov w 2 teens, 17 yr old boy,and 14 yr old girl. What is the first thing we do when we board with them? Do we register them at the camps? Or do they just show up? Anything we need to do right away so they dont miss anything I guess is what I am asking. TIA