Vaccinations

joeyjpaul

Hello,

We are going to be on the Carnival Pride in Feb/Mar out of Baltimore going to Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport with kids 10,8,8 and 5.

Do we need any travel vaccinations? The kids doctor recommended Hepatitis A and B vaccines along with one for travelers diarrhea. We will only be in the Bahamas for 10 hours, and we don't plan to eat at any local establishments. (Hiring a private snorkeling boat in Nassau and doing to dolphin excursion in Freeport).

Any suggestions? What have other people done. We are from Canada, so travel Vaccines is one of the few things that our medicare doesn't cover.

Joey

I've cruised the Caribbean at least 50 times, and have taken land trips to the Bahamas at least three times, and never needed shots of any kind. If you were doing something in more exotic places, like Brazil or Vietnam or India, then I'd say go for it, but the Caribbean has become more like the US and Canada.

But, if you or your kids have existing health issues, then talk to your personal physicians.

This question has been asked many times and you will get lots of opinions.

But in the end, you should not be asking here because very few of us are medical professionals and we do not know your health or the health of your family.

Rather I would think through what the doctor has recommended. In the end if you respect the doctor that would be the person to listen to.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Hello,

We are going to be on the Carnival Pride in Feb/Mar out of Baltimore going to Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport with kids 10,8,8 and 5.

Do we need any travel vaccinations? The kids doctor recommended Hepatitis A and B vaccines along with one for travelers diarrhea. We will only be in the Bahamas for 10 hours, and we don't plan to eat at any local establishments. (Hiring a private snorkeling boat in Nassau and doing to dolphin excursion in Freeport).

Any suggestions? What have other people done. We are from Canada, so travel Vaccines is one of the few things that our medicare doesn't cover.

Joey

You answered your own question when you told us what your physician recommends.

I would check with the physician as to why they think those are required. They are certainly not something that US physicians recommend as a matter of course, but your physician knows your health status and that may explain why the recommendation.

I just want to add that food in restaurants is just as safe in Nassau as anywhere U.S.A. Use common sense. Don't eat from street carts etc but by all means take the kids for a nice lunch ashore, if you wish.

No vaccinations are required by any of those countries or the cruise line.

As far as eating ashore....these are tourist destinations...they will not take the chance of making the folks who bring in the money sick! You are fine eating or drinking in the Bahamas.

Edited by cb at sea

Joey,

Hep b is a recommended childhood vaccination in Canada, not just a traveler immunization, so it should be covered.

Each province in Canada administers the Health Plan with large cash infusion from the feds and therefor each province determines what is covered and what is not. I believe in BC Hep B is offered free to infants and to those who don't take advantage of that it is offered again in in the 6th grade; after that in most instances we pay. However, it could be different in the OPs province.