Very disappointed!!

Lyndihop

We had thought about trying Oceania for a Tahiti trip in 2017. But seeing the new $$$ made me think they are very opportunistic. They are around $2000+ higher than the same for 2016. Seems they are taking full advantage of Princess bowing out of FP. Just generally irritated I will choose land instead.

We had thought about trying Oceania for a Tahiti trip in 2017. But seeing the new $$$ made me think they are very opportunistic. They are around $2000+ higher than the same for 2016. Seems they are taking full advantage of Princess bowing out of FP. Just generally irritated I will choose land instead.

I just took a quick look at several cruises with somewhat similar Tahiti itineraries and lengths -comparing 2016 and 2017 pricing. Really not much difference unless NZ or AUSTRALIA (airfares) enter the equation. Exactly what two cruises (including cabin category) are you comparing?

Is it the same number of days from one year to the next? They may have also added OLife (includes gratuities and tours and internet) which also may make a difference. I wouldn't want to take O sponsored tours in French Polynesia. The PG and does a nice cruise.

are you comparing the same cruise same number of day & same month ??

I do not see much of a difference in prices for PPT -PPT cruises

Jan 2016 & Jan 2017 $300 difference for starting rate with an extra port day

Edited by LHT28

Aside from all these (what seem to me to be helpful) comments, maybe a land trip is the way to go! If you want to see the land portions in more detail, that's certainly the case.

We love to cruise. But we don't look at a day in a major city as permitting us to see the city in depth but rather as a way to let us know if we want to come back for an in-depth visit -- which would not be on a cruise.

Some small places are good on a cruise because maybe there isn't that much to see beyond the one day. (Like Puerto Chacabuco in Chile, population 100 when we were there in 2001.)

A cruise to Tahiti will take you to several islands, true, but if you are unhappy with the prices then you SHOULD consider a land cruise.

Also, others have mentioned PG ... many Oceania loyalists seem to prefer PG for a Tahiti cruise.

Good luck on what you decide to do.

Mura

I will echo those who suggested the Paul Gauguin. I've done the PG twice - two of the best cruises I have ever been on. It's a singular experience...complete immersion in French Polynesia on a level that no other cruise line can provide. They ONLY cruise FP (with occasional forays to Australia for dry-dock), and they do it better than anyone.

I have found O's prices to be reasonable for the itineraries I've viewed...but I didn't even look at them for French Polynesia, as I can't imagine cruising that region on any ship other than the PG.

Regarding doing it by land - if you love cruising, I would advise against this. It's SUPER expensive, the food is marginal, and traveling among islands is challenging and time consuming. On the PG you get to visit multiple islands, traveling between them while you're sleeping, visiting islands that you probably wouldn't even be able to get to on a land tour, living on a luxury ship and dining on some of the finest food at sea, all without having to waste your time on ferries or inter-island flights.

Just MHO! :D

Another vote for PG. Just want to comment on the very negative subject of this thread. While I understand the OP's concerns, it is really necessary to "color" this thread with negativity? Prices will go up every year (if not every quarter). Prices in the South Pacific are incredibly high so it is not surprising that cruise fares are increasing.

We have been to Tahiti four times (once on the PG and three times on land vacations). If you think that Oceania is expensive, wait until you pay over $50 for 2 burgers and 2 soft drinks on land (and that was several years ago). Tahiti has to be one of the most expensive vacation destinations on earth (and it is worth every penny!). Really advise you to do more research!

Another vote for PG. Just want to comment on the very negative subject of this thread. While I understand the OP's concerns, it is really necessary to "color" this thread with negativity? Prices will go up every year (if not every quarter). Prices in the South Pacific are incredibly high so it is not surprising that cruise fares are increasing.

We have been to Tahiti four times (once on the PG and three times on land vacations). If you think that Oceania is expensive, wait until you pay over $50 for 2 burgers and 2 soft drinks on land (and that was several years ago). Tahiti has to be one of the most expensive vacation destinations on earth (and it is worth every penny!). Really advise you to do more research!

I agree with everything you said here.

Especially the prices! I did some deep research before both of my cruises, and it became very clear that the PG, while certainly not an inexpensive cruise, is far and away the most cost-effective way to experience FP. Just factoring in the travel costs between islands (unless you're fine to spend your entire vacation on one island, which seems a waste) makes a huge difference. But then add in the outrageous restaurant prices, for mostly marginal food...the high cost of resorts and hotel rooms...well, basically, everything!

PG is Luxury? Hmm, While we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on it I really didn't view it as luxury. I was on it when Regent operated it, have to say it was some of the worst food I've ever had on a cruise.

You're really going to be knocked out by Riviera.

On the PG, you're not going to be knocked out by the long queues for tenders and the ports would not be overwhelmed by the influx of 1200 visitors. We've done more days on the PG than we're willing to admit and LOVE IT! Food, ambiance, the ship's ability to take passengers to remote beaches on atolls and motus. For us, the food is extraordinary.

PG cabins are a little small but so well planned out compared to the ridiculous ones on Marina and Riviera unless you're in a Penthouse or above.

We spent 28 days on Marina 2 years ago on a B2B from Valparaiso to PPT then PPT-PPT which included the Marquesas. Best part of our voyage was the the Valpo-PPT cruise....AWESOME! But, we would NEVER do the PPT-PPT cruise again on Marina....impacted ports, large alumni groups, just not for us.

That being said, we ARE going on Marina again in 2016 but are disembarking in PPT to do our own thing in FP.

Another vote for PG - have done 5 cruises, always doing B2B's to add new destinations to the 1 week Society Islands circuit. Always add a land extension - Moorea, Bora Bora Tahiti. It is an incredibly beautiful part of the world. The port landings simply don't work with large numbers of passenger invaders. For those planning to go who are divers, PG is fully equipped to dive from the ship - we've made full use of that. No, it is not cheap.

PG is Luxury? Hmm, While we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on it I really didn't view it as luxury. I was on it when Regent operated it, have to say it was some of the worst food I've ever had on a cruise.

You're really going to be knocked out by Riviera.

Well...clearly based on the other comments in here, I'm not the only one who considers PG to be a fabulous cruise experience. As for the term "luxury" -- luxury can come in many different flavors. I've been on Crystal, Regent, Windstar, and PG, so I've experienced several different flavors of luxury. I do consider PG to be luxury...in a totally Tahitian flavor. No you will not have a Mozart Tea (as on Crystal), but you get utterly immersed in the French Polynesian culture which has its own unique charms.

I was on the PG back when it was Regent, and again two years ago. I loved both cruises. There were a few differences, but nothing that caused me any concerns. I had no problems with the food on either cruise. It wasn't quite as fabulous as some of the meals I had on Crystal, or on Regent Voyager, but we had no complaints. And certainly the food on the PG was exponentially better than anything we could get on land in any of the islands! ;) The ship is not as flashy, ornate, or plush as some other high-end cruise lines, but its overall look is appropriate for the tropical locale. Really, the beauty to behold there is all of the natural variety. The islands themselves are breathtaking.

Some other commenters have also pointed out some of the great benefits of the PG. As a diver, I really appreciated having their own dive team right there on board. The land tours we did through the ship were just fantastic - because they specialize in FP, they have these excursions down to a science to maximize enjoyment. We also found some great private excursions.

Oh, and yes, I do expect I'll be knocked out by Riviera. Can't wait! :D

Well...clearly based on the other comments in here, I'm not the only one who considers PG to be a fabulous cruise experience. As for the term "luxury" -- luxury can come in many different flavors. I've been on Crystal, Regent, Windstar, and PG, so I've experienced several different flavors of luxury. I do consider PG to be luxury...in a totally Tahitian flavor. No you will not have a Mozart Tea (as on Crystal), but you get utterly immersed in the French Polynesian culture which has its own unique charms.

I was on the PG back when it was Regent, and again two years ago. I loved both cruises. There were a few differences, but nothing that caused me any concerns. I had no problems with the food on either cruise. It wasn't quite as fabulous as some of the meals I had on Crystal, or on Regent Voyager, but we had no complaints. And certainly the food on the PG was exponentially better than anything we could get on land in any of the islands! ;) The ship is not as flashy, ornate, or plush as some other high-end cruise lines, but its overall look is appropriate for the tropical locale. Really, the beauty to behold there is all of the natural variety. The islands themselves are breathtaking.

Some other commenters have also pointed out some of the great benefits of the PG. As a diver, I really appreciated having their own dive team right there on board. The land tours we did through the ship were just fantastic - because they specialize in FP, they have these excursions down to a science to maximize enjoyment. We also found some great private excursions.

Oh, and yes, I do expect I'll be knocked out by Riviera. Can't wait! :D

Yes, I understand all you said, it's like preaching to the choir. I wasn't knocking it, I just didn't consider it luxury, and the other thing I differ on is the food, it truly was bad in 2008 when we were on it. I do think some people confuse the overall experience with the ship itself. It is hard to separate them. For what it's worth it was one of our favorite cruises.

But hey, I think the milkshakes on Oceania are really bad, as in undrinkable, and I love milkshakes. After trying them on my third Oceania ship I decided it wasn't just a one off. I don't try them anymore.(leaves me all those calories to eat elsewhere) Lot's of folks rave about them here, you'd think they are the highlight of an Oceania cruise. I'm used to having different opinions from the majority.

ORV - as we know, food is subjective. However, there were a couple of times when Regent managed the PG that the food and service went downhill. I do not recall the year, but, at one point the PG was sold to a different company than the current owners and some people had unhappy experiences on the ship. We were on the PG in 2004 -- it is the only ship that I recommend for travel to the South Pacific.

Note: I've not tried a milkshake on Oceania but I am one of few people that does not like the food in the Terrace Café (love the specialty restaurants and Waves).

Hmmm. In December, we'll be on our way on Nautica from Cape Town to Singapore. O is our favored "Cruise" cruise line. Most of our waterborne travel is expedition cruising - National Geographic - Lindblad. On O we much prefer the R ships over the O ships. We tested Riviera on a Caribbean cruise and didn't like it - too crowded! And, much too big for FP landings.

But hey, I think the milkshakes on Oceania are really bad, as in undrinkable, and I love milkshakes. After trying them on my third Oceania ship I decided it wasn't just a one off. I don't try them anymore.(leaves me all those calories to eat elsewhere) Lot's of folks rave about them here, you'd think they are the highlight of an Oceania cruise. I'm used to having different opinions from the majority.

I'm not a huge milkshake fan myself...seems like nothing more than a way to suck down icecream super-fast! I'd rather eat my icecream with a spoon and savor it...and avoid the icecream headache. :p

Besides, I would pick a delicious Fois Gras appetizer or a tender lobster with drawn butter over a milkshake in a heartbeat! LOL! :D

I do recall hearing some complaints about the PG's food at one point...and if I recall correctly, it was sometime around the time of the transition. Didn't Grand Circle Travel own the PG for a very short time after it left Regent's hands? We must have timed our cruise just right - on our first one it was still owned by Regent, and the food was fabulous. Our second one was only two years ago, and it was fabulous again, albeit slightly different. So I guess I struck it lucky!

Hmmm. In December, we'll be on our way on Nautica from Cape Town to Singapore. O is our favored "Cruise" cruise line. Most of our waterborne travel is expedition cruising - National Geographic - Lindblad. On O we much prefer the R ships over the O ships. We tested Riviera on a Caribbean cruise and didn't like it - too crowded! And, much too big for FP landings.

We loved our Cape Town to Singapore....it was fantastic!!! And yes, we agree we prefer R ships over O class.....way too many people for tendering into ports and way too crowded for FP landings. Will be interested to see how things go for us in New Caledonia and Samoa.

I'm not a huge milkshake fan myself...seems like nothing more than a way to suck down icecream super-fast! I'd rather eat my icecream with a spoon and savor it...and avoid the icecream headache. :p

Besides, I would pick a delicious Fois Gras appetizer or a tender lobster with drawn butter over a milkshake in a heartbeat! LOL! :D

I do recall hearing some complaints about the PG's food at one point...and if I recall correctly, it was sometime around the time of the transition. Didn't Grand Circle Travel own the PG for a very short time after it left Regent's hands? We must have timed our cruise just right - on our first one it was still owned by Regent, and the food was fabulous. Our second one was only two years ago, and it was fabulous again, albeit slightly different. So I guess I struck it lucky!

We were on PG in Aug of 2008, and it was right at the end of Regent's lease. I remember hearing the name Grand Circle but I was under the impression they were a Travel Agency that sent large groups there. The drinks were good.

I'm assuming the Grand Circle you mentioned is the outfit I know. They have their own river boats and OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) is a subsidiary for small groups. They also book passage on other lines.

We did a QE2 TA in 2004 through Grand Circle. We paid less for a Queen's Grill cabin + one week in London in a 4* hotel with private walking tours in town before the cruise + one way air fare to London for half what the fare alone would have been through Cunard. So a great deal! We were a pretty large group on that one.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had a group on PG on the cruise you mentioned.

Mura