Good portion size

yorkyred

Ok we are shortly to sail on the Eclipse. In preparation I've been watching YouTube vids and next to the other cruise lines the food portions in the MDR look tiny. Now I'm a big eater and I think I could finish those main courses in three mouthfuls. Are they honestly that small in the flesh because I can see me heading off to the buffet afterwards to fill up.

Ok we are shortly to sail on the Eclipse. In preparation I've been watching YouTube vids and next to the other cruise lines the food portions in the MDR look tiny. Now I'm a big eater and I think I could finish those main courses in three mouthfuls. Are they honestly that small in the flesh because I can see me heading off to the buffet afterwards to fill up.

I wouldn't call them small however given you can add sides from the menu and have appetiser, salad/soup, main, dessert and cheese and biscuits I'm not sure anyone leaves hungry. Plus if you want a bigger main then just ask for double when you order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Portions are normal size for a good restaurant. They are larger than most places I've been in Europe, and smaller than chain restaurants in the US. Don't forget, you can get an appetizer, a soup, a salad, your main, and a dessert. And... order more than one of each if you really want to.

setting aside the fact that the portions are in line with what we are SUPPOSED to be eating as opposed to the super size everything mantra being advertised everywhere ; in the MDR you can order as many of every course as you like

plus if you do order every course, you will find that you won't be hungry afterward at all.

all they do is request that you orders multiples at the same time( if you want 2 main courses please order both of them together, don't order one then ask for a second 15 minutes later when everyone else is about to order dessert

I have often ordered a double appetizer with a salad and dessert. DH has had the cheese dessert plate as the appetizer.

You can do anything as far as rearranging the courses or substituting or doubling. I doubt you will need to make another stop. Some people skip dessert and have that later in the evening in the buffet.

setting aside the fact that the portions are in line with what we are SUPPOSED to be eating as opposed to the super size everything mantra being advertised everywhere ; in the MDR you can order as many of every course as you like

plus if you do order every course, you will find that you won't be hungry afterward at all.

all they do is request that you orders multiples at the same time( if you want 2 main courses please order both of them together, don't order one then ask for a second 15 minutes later when everyone else is about to order dessert

I'm not a supersize guy in the American supersize way but do like a decent sized main course, just thought they looked tiny next to the likes of meals shown from other lines and those we have cruised before. Obviously multiple courses do mean you don't need any one course that's too big. Have to say though we do eat in a lot of very good restaurants in the city of Glasgow and they look way smaller than we would be used to.

'Dither' an old English word for being unable to make up your mind...

I once dithered between two mains, finally chose once, the waiter brought both!

Next night I dithered between two deserts....you know what happened.

Seriously, you will find the waiters will really look after you.

I don't know what room you are in but if you have a butler they will also look after you. We tend to dine early and then ask for a prawn platter to be delivered in the evening to enjoy on the balcony with a late brandy...if you do not have a butler ask your room attendant to clear your minibar and then make a pre dinner visit to the buffet...

Cruising, what a wonderful vacation.

We love the food on Celebrity, I am sure you will too.

setting aside the fact that the portions are in line with what we are SUPPOSED to be eating

Thanks, but many people feel they should determine their own requirements. I'm one of them. The man is a big eater, so let him eat. I am, too. I automatically order a double of lamb chops on whatever ship I'm on. And I always finish whatever is left on my wife's plate. Food is never wasted in our house. That's my only requirement: in a buffet, don't take more than can be eaten. Seconds are always available. Incidentally, I'm 6'5 and 235# and I have hardly a spare ounce on me, as much as I eat.

Thanks, but many people feel they should determine their own requirements. I'm one of them. The man is a big eater, so let him eat. I am, too. I automatically order a double of lamb chops on whatever ship I'm on. And I always finish whatever is left on my wife's plate. Food is never wasted in our house. That's my only requirement: in a buffet, don't take more than can be eaten. Seconds are always available. Incidentally, I'm 6'5 and 235# and I have hardly a spare ounce on me, as much as I eat.

I'm the same in that I'm a big eater but not overweight. As a family growing up in Yorkshire my mum always plated up big portions and my brothers and I were always told to clean our plates. We never had much money so my mum never believed in waste. I guess it's stuck with my brothers and I my whole life and I still love my grub as we say in Yorkshire.

They keep the portion size down to avoid waste as well. With so many choices and the ability to get "both" the eyes grow bigger then your stomach and the possibility of feeding the fish is great. Keeping those costs and waste in line!

We switched to BLU when it started up, and portions there are a good size for us. I usually get a salad while dh enjoys soup, and I order double veggies and skip the starch.

On our last v few visits to the MDR before we switched to BLU, the veggies were really small portions...like 2 tiny asparagus...looked really sparse on the plate.

By the time you get a second serving...too late.If you have a big appetite or it's your fav dish, suggest you order extra up front so the waiter can get the request in...I do that on lobster night, if I want an extra or surf and turf...!

I generally find the portions to be perfectly OK, but anyone with a hearty appetite might find them a little on the small side. On Eclipse recently one of the starters was described as "scallop ..................." (I don't remember the rest of the name). I live in a scallop fishing area, so I'm used to generous portions and folks at our table joked that I would be disappointed if I only received one scallop. Well, just one tiny scallop was exactly what I got!:eek: It did have a little sauce on it and I think there might have been a lettuce leaf as well, but it was one dish that definitely didn't wreck the diet!;)

Remember that in addition to that multi-course dinner you're also likely to be enjoying a much more substantial breakfast and lunch than you're accustomed to back home. Plus there's always afternoon tea, pizza, ice cream, cafe al baccio, etc, etc. Often have to restrain myself during the day to save room for dinner.

I generally find the portions to be perfectly OK, but anyone with a hearty appetite might find them a little on the small side. On Eclipse recently one of the starters was described as "scallop ..................." (I don't remember the rest of the name). I live in a scallop fishing area, so I'm used to generous portions and folks at our table joked that I would be disappointed if I only received one scallop. Well, just one tiny scallop was exactly what I got!:eek: It did have a little sauce on it and I think there might have been a lettuce leaf as well, but it was one dish that definitely didn't wreck the diet!;)

Oh yes I remember THE Scallop :-)

It really wasn't an appetiser / starter more of an Amuse Bouche

Some choices are larger than others - we find the Prime Rib option which appears a couple times during the 14 days to be quite a big plate of food, especially with the Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire puddings are usually only available on those cruises departing from the UK. Unsure if the OP will be on one of those or not, but he won't get a Yorky on a Caribbean itinerary ;).

Yorkshire puddings are usually only available on those cruises departing from the UK. Unsure if the OP will be on one of those or not, but he won't get a Yorky on a Caribbean itinerary ;).

It's the 13 night Carribbean going out of Miami on the 16th of November, I love Yorkshire pudding by the way, we used to have it as a dessert sometimes as a kid covered in Golden Syrup.

Don't worry you won't go hungry, if anything the opposite will happen.

There is so much food throughout the day that the smaller portions in MDR are fine.

My husband is a big eater as well, and has no issues.

Don't forget you can order as many courses and items as you would like off the menu. You can turn every night into at least a 5 course meal if you wish.

App, soup, salad, entree, dessert, cheese....

And order different things in one category.

The problem you will encounter, is when you get home and get on the scales, Ha ha!!!!

Some of those videos are from the buffet(the ones where the food looks rather haphazardly placed)Portions on the Eclipse shrank a bit from 2014 to 2015. Not by much, however. The staff is more than willing to provide extra. Just politely ask.

Don't worry you won't go hungry, if anything the opposite will happen.

There is so much food throughout the day that the smaller portions in MDR are fine.

My husband is a big eater as well, and has no issues.

Don't forget you can order as many courses and items as you would like off the menu. You can turn every night into at least a 5 course meal if you wish.

App, soup, salad, entree, dessert, cheese....

And order different things in one category.

The problem you will encounter, is when you get home and get on the scales, Ha ha!!!!

I find that you need to stand on the scale in the gym. Wait till the ship crests a wave & as it descends into a wave trough, get onto the scale, you'll find you've lost at least 5 pounds. If you do it while the ship is "cresting" the wave, you'll find you've gained about 15 lb.(which, unfortunately, is probably more accurate)

I have the opposite question - sorry to hijack! I tend not to eat much in one sitting and don't enjoy heavy meals followed by an overly sweet dessert. Will there be any issues if I only order an appetizer and salad or soup and salad? Also, if there are yummy sides on the main can I just order that without the meat or are the kitchen staff likely to get annoyed?