What do I need to get back on ship?

Chewybub

When we get off at ports, what is needed to get back on the ship? In the past we have used our birth certificate and room key. I have also heard that we will need our passport.

Thanks!

The cabin key which checks you off/on the ship. We usually have our DL and a copy of our passport not the real thing.

When we get off at ports, what is needed to get back on the ship? In the past we have used our birth certificate and room key. I have also heard that we will need our passport.

Thanks!

Unless specifically required by a particular port, you should never take a passport off the ship. Highly sought after by pickpockets and scammers, a lost or stolen passport is very difficult to replace, particularly if your home country's consulate is not closeby. Don't listen to those who say a passport card makes passport replacement easy. You still have to get to the consulate, which might necessitate an in-country or international flight - something that will not occur without a passport in hand.

In addition, there is a reason (actually several) why most premium and luxury cruise lines require passengers to surrender passports at embarkation. Not only does it ease customs inspection (without bothering passengers) but it also makes retrieval (and transfer to port agent) much easier if someone misses the ship.

If it makes you feel any better, you can take a copy of your passport main page with you or (for US residents) get the CBP "mobile passport" app for your phone (still not good for flight but has the key info items).

Thanks!

You will need your S & S card + a photo ID. When going through security to re-board the ship, they have almost always looked at both our S&S card & DL.

I've also read on here of cases where someone did not have their photo ID & someone had to go on the ship to get it for them.

I was just on 10/31 Valor cruise with 4 ports and they only required ship card in all 4 ports. HOWEVER, I always carry my driver's license with me. I have been asked for picture ID intermittently on prior cruises. I never take my passport ashore.

If you have a passport, you do NOT need your BC. However, your DL is the same size as your ship's key....easier to carry than your passport. Not all ports ask for photo ID, but you should always have ID on you...so take your DL when you go ashore.

Of course, you'll need your ship's key to get OFF the ship, too!

Why does such an easy question turn into convoluted answers that are totally untrue.

When getting off the ship in ports you run your S&S card through the scanner that lets the ship know you are in port for the day. When you return to the ship you again scan your card which pulls up your photo ID (that was taken at embarkation) to ensure you are who you are. No other ID is required.

That being said...some excursion operators require photo ID (such as a driver's license) once you are at the port. You may also need photo ID at some stores if you are using a credit card.

Ports do not require passports since the ship's manifest lists all of the passengers and their appropriate IDs if required by the port you are visiting. And the ships do not require you to turn over your passport to them (at least in the western hemisphere).

What is the deal with passports, we always use them, not a paper copy, that is what they are for, it is like leaving them on the airplane as everyone is afraid of the boogie monster. :rolleyes: NEVER had an issue with them or the boogie monster, you bought them USE THEM!..................:eek:

Why does such an easy question turn into convoluted answers that are totally untrue.

When getting off the ship in ports you run your S&S card through the scanner that lets the ship know you are in port for the day. When you return to the ship you again scan your card which pulls up your photo ID (that was taken at embarkation) to ensure you are who you are. No other ID is required.

That being said...some excursion operators require photo ID (such as a driver's license) once you are at the port. You may also need photo ID at some stores if you are using a credit card.

Ports do not require passports since the ship's manifest lists all of the passengers and their appropriate IDs if required by the port you are visiting. And the ships do not require you to turn over your passport to them (at least in the western hemisphere).

We have been asked for photo ID at some ports, not to get back on the ship but to get back into the port area. It is wise to take along a photo ID along with your S and S card. The cruiseline actually reminds people to take photo ID with you.

We don't take our passports off the ship, we just put it in the safe in our cabin as it is not needed.

Edited by LTS1960

This is not true. Most ports will not ask for photo ID, however, some do. Like others have said, bring a drivers license or another photo id. We have been asked a couple of times.

).

Because the OP's question has 2 different answers and the OP is not clear as to which question they are asking.

When returning from a port of call there are 2 ID Check points.

1 to re-enter the secure port area which is controlled by the host country. Their requirements vary.

ID Checkpoint number 2 is Entry to board the ship. usually only you ship board pass is required here.

Just in the Caribbean and security guards at definitely wanted to see our photo id. My aunt used her bus pass & I used my social security card. They don't seem to care what type of ID is used as long as name and photo match ship card.

I have personally witnessed guards refuse entry to port area without photo ID and they had to send travelling companion on to ship to get ID.

Unless specifically required by a particular port, you should never take a passport off the ship. Highly sought after by pickpockets and scammers, a lost or stolen passport is very difficult to replace, particularly if your home country's consulate is not closeby. Don't listen to those who say a passport card makes passport replacement easy. You still have to get to the consulate, which might necessitate an in-country or international flight - something that will not occur without a passport in hand.

In addition, there is a reason (actually several) why most premium and luxury cruise lines require passengers to surrender passports at embarkation. Not only does it ease customs inspection (without bothering passengers) but it also makes retrieval (and transfer to port agent) much easier if someone misses the ship.

If it makes you feel any better, you can take a copy of your passport main page with you or (for US residents) get the CBP "mobile passport" app for your phone (still not good for flight but has the key info items).

I always carry my passport when traveling outside of US and it's territories. I have never agreed with those who are afraid to carry their passport. Although it is not required by Carnival to re-board.

What is the deal with passports, we always use them, not a paper copy, that is what they are for, it is like leaving them on the airplane as everyone is afraid of the boogie monster. :rolleyes: NEVER had an issue with them or the boogie monster, you bought them USE THEM!..................:eek:

Yep, agreed

Edited by lizardhowson

Like someone else stated they are highly sought after and one can become the target of a pickpocket.

I had one stolen by showing it when it was not necessary. On every cruise we have been on a passenger will bring this question up at the port talks and every single time the ships answer was the sign and sail card and government picture id but suggested to leave your passports in the safe in the cabin.

There is a procedure the ship follows if you do not board which is to go to your cabin and remove credit cards, passports etc. then surrender them to the ships agent for that port. So its not necessary to carry them on you.

Take care,

Vinnie

You shouldn't be so sure of yourself and dismiss other "convoluted answers"

In many ports such as San Juan, you can't get near the ship without your ship card and photo ID.

I sat at same table as someone from New Zealand. He was required to turn over passport for Caribbean cruise

Edited by SeaUs

We take our S&S card's and Drivers License's. You should definitely bring a picture I.D. of some sort even though they may not ask for it at some ports.

One time..in Mexico where security is very tight..I forgot to take my D.L. with me. I was not allowed back into the port entrance until they somehow verified who I was. :eek: I'm still not sure how they got verification because my husband stayed with me the whole time. I know they radioed the ship and made me wait until they got it figured out. I was totally embarrassed :o and scared! It was not a good feeling!

We leave our passports on the ship. We keep them locked in the cabin safe. Sometimes we will bring a copy though, depending on where we are ported. I know the ship will tell you to bring your S&S card and a picture ID. If I was travelling with my Birth Certificate I would also keep the original locked in the cabin safe.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful cruise!

OP asked "what is required to get back on the ship". I agree, Sail and Sign card (a must) and photo ID at many ports.

But If for some reason you miss the ship and are stuck in a port (foreign country), a passport "might" be a good thing to have with you, don't you think?

I always take mine with me as a precaution.

Edited by HawkIVette