What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone

Shoalwater

To me, they never have very good signage in the elevator lobbies to even know what floor (deck) you are on. Like, the signs are small, and I might not have my glasses on.

Huh? A brass sign about 10' x 12' with the name and number of the current deck in larger font isn't good signage? At least that was about the size of the signs on the Star that I got off of 2 days ago.

And, at least on the elevator areas in the cabin areas a large model of the ship oriented in the same direction as the ship seems to be a pretty good indication as to which side of the ship you're on, at least to me so I really don't need a floor color to tell me which side of the ship I'm on. For that matter, seeing whether the room numbers are going up or down pretty much tells me which way I'm heading. Plus, that works even if a person is color-blind in which case the color of the carpet is useless.

So, to me, color-coded carpet while it's interesting, is not a biggie. To others, I guess it is.

Tom

Huh? A brass sign about 10' x 12' with the name and number of the current deck in larger font isn't good signage? At least that was about the size of the signs on the Star that I got off of 2 days ago.

And, at least on the elevator areas in the cabin areas a large model of the ship oriented in the same direction as the ship seems to be a pretty good indication as to which side of the ship you're on, at least to me so I really don't need a floor color to tell me which side of the ship I'm on. For that matter, seeing whether the room numbers are going up or down pretty much tells me which way I'm heading. Plus, that works even if a person is color-blind in which case the color of the carpet is useless.

So, to me, color-coded carpet while it's interesting, is not a biggie. To others, I guess it is.

Tom

I hope you ment to say 10" X 12" because 10' X 12' would be a biggie :D

Theo

While I agree every amenity you can get makes for a much more comfortable cruise, I also have to say, not just Princess, but all cruise line want to save money. Is there not one of you that have made a change to your spending habits to save some money at some point. I am not trying to be pro corporate here, but just realistic.

I imagine Princess and other cruise lines could keep all the amenities they have had in the past, but then the cost of the cruise would rise and people would then complain that the cost of cruising is getting to high.

Flame away if you like, but this is just my OWN opinion. I do not expect anyone to agree or disagree, but just accept it as a different view.

I realize that everyone cruising has different expectations as they come from different economical backgrounds. For those who can afford to, they can step up their experiences by paying more. Those that have saved for two years just to go on one cruise can enjoy what ever benefits they can get for the cost of their cruise.

I for one go on a cruise to get away from my job and everyday hassles of life. Just to be on a ship going to a different (warm in my case) locations, having some one cook, clean and generally look after me to ensure I am having a pleasant time is what it is all about. So for me if I do not receive any one of the little amenities, I'm good with that because I am on a cruise and away from my typical home life.

Don't sweat the small stuff, as they say. Your on vacation, ENJOY it!!!

Happy sailing:)

Absolutely true in everywhere but USA.

For anyone who hasn't tried it the Spanish equivalent of Champagne, Cava, can be truly excellent and a good one can often be better than a cheap French Champagne.

The ship kindly gave us a bottle of their $60 ( on board price, $20 really) Nicolas Feuillate Champagne ( French, real) last cruise and it was very drinkable, but I have had Spanish Cava which I thought was more to my taste.

A good cava will have plenty of persistent small bubbles, a slight yeastiness, good acidity, just like a decent champagne.

I will keep your comments in mind. The things we learn on this website! :)

I'm satisfied with how things are now. I just enjoy the relaxation of a cruise and visiting other places in the world. Any amenities I get as Platinum or when in a suite are great, but not necessarily needed to have a great vacation.

I've liked Sunday religious services when they're available but they were all passenger-led. I don't think Princess needs to hire clergy because which group(s) do you choose?? Many religions are represented on a ship and it's not possible to provide clergy from all of them.

Cannot help but wonder how many CC members have color coded carpets in their homes so they know which side of the house they are walking upon. And how many have a strip of carpet with the day of the week (which a robot maid replaces every day).

Hank

We were just on a very pleasant CB New England and Canada cruise, 10 days, and after a week there were still passengers wandering around unable to find the correct side of the ship for their cabins.

When you are older and a little confused ( and I am getting there) a large ship can be overwhelming and color coded carpet is a great help.

When in the familiar surroundings of your own home its not a problem like it can be on a strange big ship.

Cannot help but wonder how many CC members have color coded carpets in their homes so they know which side of the house they are walking upon. And how many have a strip of carpet with the day of the week (which a robot maid replaces every day).

Hank

The two sides of my house are not identical, and the hallways aren't 900 feet long. I don't have a problem needing color-coded carpet in my house. :) A strip of carpet with the day of the week would be helpful. :) I heard some ship (not Princess) used to change the carpet on the elevator floors each day of the week with a sign on it to indicate the day of the week, as a nice little service for passengers. That would be good for me too! But I wouldn't push Princess to do that too.

Hank

I just replaced all my windows with port holes:D

Our studio flat is not much bigger than a cruise ship cabin - our (Art Deco) building is modelled on a cruise liner (the lift even does the one bing going up and two bings going down:eek:). Our view across London is as good as you get from any cruise ship - we do not need coloured carpets with fish on them.

Our cocktail cabinet probably rivals many a cruise ship bar as well...:D

The two sides of my house are not identical, and the hallways aren't 900 feet long. I don't have a problem needing color-coded carpet in my house. :) A strip of carpet with the day of the week would be helpful. :) I heard some ship (not Princess) used to change the carpet on the elevator floors each day of the week with a sign on it to indicate the day of the week, as a nice little service for passengers. That would be good for me too! But I wouldn't push Princess to do that too.

Yes they still do that on HAL...let you know the day just in case you forget...with datelines etc it can get confusing:)

I just replaced all my windows with port holes:D

ROFLMAO! And by the way, when DW and I sail on the Prinsendam we often book a Porthole cabin (they still have them on that old ship). There is something neat about having 2 real portholes in our cabin. And DW reminded me that at the Rio Hotel in Las Vegas they have rooms with a porthole window between the bathroom and bedroom. Never understood that design, but it is really in the rooms and weird.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

On an NCL ship (forgot which one) there were little gold fish bordering the carpet in the corridors facing forward so you knew if you were walking forward or aft.

Its been quite a while since I cruised on NCL but don't all the fish swim forward except one in the pattern?

I was told that all the fish represented cruise lines, and the one fish swimming the other way represented NCL who were the cruiseline which dared to do something different and go against the flow.

That was when NCL abandoned compulsory formal wear and introduced anytime dining.

I've sailed the Norway. What a beautiful liner. Classic.

Ah! We had a sailing booked on the Norway and were just weeks away from sailing when they had the explosion. We were so disappointed that we never got to see and experience that beautiful ship! :(

That's Royal Caribbean!

I heard some ship (not Princess) used to change the carpet on the elevator floors each day of the week with a sign on it to indicate the day of the week, as a nice little service for passengers. That would be good for me too! But I wouldn't push Princess to do that too.

I think they used to do this on Princess ships. Not on the Star this past week, though. But I do think they used to. Not really sure it was necessary, though. I do however miss the different colored carpet in the hallways. Also not necessary. Just thought it was kind of cool :rolleyes:

Its been quite a while since I cruised on NCL but don't all the fish swim forward except one in the pattern?

I was told that all the fish represented cruise lines, and the one fish swimming the other way represented NCL who were the cruiseline which dared to do something different and go against the flow.

That was when NCL abandoned compulsory formal wear and introduced anytime dining.

This also inspired the name of one of their signature cocktails - the Rebellious Fish.

What's wrong with looking at the signs to know where you are? I think it was one of the P&O Australian shops that had an interactive console near the main lifts to give you directions. No need to rush, you are on holidays.

"30 min. shows, woefully too short"

Make that, "mercifully" short.

On the Crown, the CD said they wanted to make the shows longer. They said they got complaints that shorter shows weren't worth it.

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!