So, what are the "little things" that people like about Princess

Linerguy

Now that the "What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone" thread has been beaten to death, how about something a little positive for a change?

For us, it's things like having your name on your cabin door, thank you notes from the staff of the specialty restaurants thanking you for coming, a warm greeting from all the staff....I could go on and on.

The first thing that sold us on Princess.. our very first adventure with them.. was the warm welcome we received as we walked into the Atrium. Then to our surprise, there was someone on the Dolphin deck as we exited the elevator to direct us to our room. Within minutes the Cabin Steward showed up to our Min-Suite with our complimentary glass of Champagne.

We were on the ship a total of four hours when my wife and I discussed that we felt more relaxed in that time than we ever did on our previous Carnival cruises.

Hi

Last cruise no card confirming speciality booking can not recall last time got a thank you card.

yours Shogun

On our last cruise, just a few weeks ago, we received both confirmation and thank you cards for each visit we had. Same thing on the cruise before that.

Hi

Last cruise no card confirming speciality booking can not recall last time got a thank you card.

yours Shogun

On our last cruise, just a few weeks ago, we received both confirmation and thank you cards for each visit we had. Same thing on the cruise before that.

We had four specialty bookings last month on the Royal Princess and received the confirmation card for each. I always take it with me just in case our reservation doesn't show up doesn't show up on the Head Waiter's reservation list. We've been sailing Princess since 2007 (and always going to both Crown Grill and Sabatinis at least once per cruise) and don't remember ever receiving a thank you card. If we had I would have just shook my head at the wasted extra paper and tossed it since we've always been thanked personally and profusely by our waiters and the head waiter.

Edited by capriccio

Hi

yours Shogun

Have also pretty much always received both. I guess this is another instance of inconsistency.

Understanding that Princess is not 100% perfect, but they are consistent in providing many things that have disappeared or never were on the competition:

• Cabins ready upon embarkation
  • Almost every dining option open for lunch on embarkation day
  • Attendance at muster drill quickly taken by scanning cruise cards
  • Live band on deck for sailaway, weather permitting
  • Same live band(s) not excessively scheduled on deck during sea days--advantage to MUTS programming, though admittedly needing some updates
  • Just enough daytime activities: few dead spots, but no need to be in three places at once either
  • Breakfast and Lunch in MDR is a real menu of courses of cooked food, not one or two items plus an "express self-serve bar"
  • Afternoon Tea daily with full service and you won't be told to "just go to the buffet" when they run out of sandwiches ten minutes in like on Celebrity
  • Always at least one quiet venue with "dinner music" before each seating (even if it is just two guys and a synth)
  • Or live music of a livelier ilk if that's what I want that night
  • Despite the criticisms of ATD, Princess does make an effort to provide everyone with the dinner preference they desire (ie the extra early fixed seating offered)
  • Dinner served in courses, not every starter brought at the same time (inexcusable even on the most budget cruise lines, let alone to be a firm policy on RCI)
  • The majority of nights having a late show in the theatre after second dinner seating
  • Game show/audience participation activities do not incur a fee
  • Plenty of servers during late night happy hours
  • The Horizon Court has enough variety for an actual meal anytime it is open, none of the 'no hot food after lunch rush' or 'no desserts two hours before it closes'.
  • And the best for last: the International Cafe 24/7

And I didn't even include any cabin-level specific or loyalty-level specific benefits...just sayin' :D

Edited by fishywood

Now that the "What are the "little things" the accountants think we'll never miss when they're gone" thread has been beaten to death, how about something a little positive for a change?

For us, it's things like having your name on your cabin door, thank you notes from the staff of the specialty restaurants thanking you for coming, a warm greeting from all the staff....I could go on and on.

This is one thing I really don't like at all about Princess. As a lady who travels solo frequently, the last thing I want is it to be advertised that there's a solo female in my cabin. It's nobody's business that I am alone in my cabin. Or what my Captain's Circle status may be. So, very first thing upon arrival, that slip of paper comes right out of its slot and into the trash. I've had stewards replace it a few times till I ask them not to, for above reasons.

As for thank you and confirmation cards for specialty dining, we've had them just about every time, including this last sailing on Regal...it's a nice touch.

The Happy Birthday/Anniversary, etc signs on doors is a nice touch, along with the card for a cake.

As a lady who travels solo frequently, the last thing I want is it to be advertised that there's a solo female in my cabin. It's nobody's business that I am alone in my cabin.

I can certainly understand your logic.

When I disembarked from the Royal Princess last year I left my phone on the table in the disembarkation lounge. I was going on a post cruise tour on the way to the airport. After getting on the bus I noticed my phone was missing. I had my wife call my phone thinking it was misplaced in my bag, it wasn't. Panic feeling developing! About 1 minute later someone got on the bus and called my wife's name. They had my lost phone and were looking for the owner. Her name popped up on the the screen of my phone when she called me. I was impressed that they made an effort to get my phone to back to me. They had already brought it out the the area they knew I would be in and fortuately the call to the phone made identification easier. That was good customer service and made my day.

Understanding that Princess is not 100% perfect, but they are consistent in providing many things that have disappeared or never were on the competition:

• Cabins ready upon embarkation
  • Almost every dining option open for lunch on embarkation day
  • Attendance at muster drill quickly taken by scanning cruise cards
  • Live band on deck for sailaway, weather permitting
  • Same live band(s) not excessively scheduled on deck during sea days--advantage to MUTS programming, though admittedly needing some updates
  • Just enough daytime activities: few dead spots, but no need to be in three places at once either
  • Breakfast and Lunch in MDR is a real menu of courses of cooked food, not one or two items plus an "express self-serve bar"
  • Afternoon Tea daily with full service and you won't be told to "just go to the buffet" when they run out of sandwiches ten minutes in like on Celebrity
  • Always at least one quiet venue with "dinner music" before each seating (even if it is just two guys and a synth)
  • Or live music of a livelier ilk if that's what I want that night
  • Despite the criticisms of ATD, Princess does make an effort to provide everyone with the dinner preference they desire (ie the extra early fixed seating offered)
  • Dinner served in courses, not every starter brought at the same time (inexcusable even on the most budget cruise lines, let alone to be a firm policy on RCI)
  • The majority of nights having a late show in the theatre after second dinner seating
  • Game show/audience participation activities do not incur a fee
  • Plenty of servers during late night happy hours
  • The Horizon Court has enough variety for an actual meal anytime it is open, none of the 'no hot food after lunch rush' or 'no desserts two hours before it closes'.
  • And the best for last: the International Cafe 24/7

And I didn't even include any cabin-level specific or loyalty-level specific benefits...just sayin' :D

Great list! Ditto on the International Cafe.

I love Princess :)

Beautiful ships, very tastefully decorated

Cabins ready on embarkation

Friendly, attentive crew

I feel so 'at home' the minute I'm onboard - and, very importantly to me as a solo female traveller, very safe and secure :)

Some examples of crew going above and beyond on my very recent Coral Princess cruise-

The utterly charming chap in the deck 5 bar who apologised profusely that the coffee machine was not working and then insisted on going to the IC several decks up to get me a cappuccino - despite my reassurance that I was more than happy to go there myself, no problem - and then refused to punch my coffee card because of the inconvenience! He must have run up and down the stairs as he was out of breath when he came back, but smiling ear to ear. What amazing service :D

I was sitting reading on the deserted promenade deck - my favourite spot on the ship - when a group of seamen appeared, clearly planning to do 'something nautical' with the lifeboat I was sitting under ( the ropes and tool bags were a bit of a clue ;) )

Clearly I needed to move to allow them to get on with their work - no worries whatsoever - so I got up and started to gather my belongings. One of the crewmen came straight over, and although English was not fluent for him he apologised for disturbing me, and with lots of smiles and nods he insisted on helping me move my things to another lounger, then ran back to even carry one of the little tables back to my new spot. So, so sweet of him :)

I don't need glitz and glamour - cruising for me is about going to new places, resting from a stressful job in peace and quiet, and treasuring the memories of the many acts of kindness I have received from the wonderful Princess crew :)

For me, It's Alfredo's Neapolitan style pizza it's sooooooooooooo good!!!! :D

(Pizza Royal Princess) tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes

par ma ham & shaved Parmesan cheese. The service here I have to say is excellent friendly and never fails to smile.

Tony

Cabins ready on arrival.

Variety of food options and venues.

MUTS -- I know some hate it, but we just got off the CB last week, and watched several first-run movies we hadn't seen at home. Something about watching a good movie and enjoying the beautiful ocean with a cold beverage -- priceless!

BTW, we also received a confirmation card for our CG reservation.

Love that the rooms are ready upon embarkation.

Really loved the Head Waiter singing "Time to Say Goodbye" on the last night of our CB cruise. He was wonderful!!!

I lost several items during our 2 week cruise - found them all at the service desk. Really appreciate the other passenger or crew member for turning my watch into the Lost and Found!

Loved the help I received at the Internet Cafe.

Food was better than average.

I had a comical Halloween door sign on my cabin. One morning it was missing, I told my room steward and one of the other stewards further down the hall - it was back the next day. It was found 5 decks below ours - I can just imagine all the room stewards searching for it - don't know that for sure though. I had read on here about missing door signs so I put my cabin number and initials on the back of it.

Super wait staff in the MDR who remembered everyone's preferences at dinner.

Great Pub Lunches on our last two Princess Cruises.

Since we were cruising down the East Coast we were able to watch the World Series and Sunday Football games at several venues including in our room.

Edited by Jessejo