I need a butler...and 2 bedrooms

We typically sail with NCL in their 2 bedroom suites but looking for a change of scenery. I haven't sailed RCI in 20 years and I was 10 at the time so don't remember much.

We are trying to figure out how to achieve our needs: 2 bedrooms and a butler. We have 2 special needs children and often aren't able to leave the room or need to dine in the room etc.

I called RCI and was told no butlers on any ship. However I see this whole genie thing everywhere. Called back and was told no butlers and that the genies were on certain ships and certain dates and could be acquired from the concierge onboard if available.

I seem to be getting all different sorts of answers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I looked at the suite website but it had so many class levels etc that I can't follow it for whatever reason.

I appreciate the help!

We typically sail with NCL in their 2 bedroom suites but looking for a change of scenery. I haven't sailed RCI in 20 years and I was 10 at the time so don't remember much.

We are trying to figure out how to achieve our needs: 2 bedrooms and a butler. We have 2 special needs children and often aren't able to leave the room or need to dine in the room etc.

I called RCI and was told no butlers on any ship. However I see this whole genie thing everywhere. Called back and was told no butlers and that the genies were on certain ships and certain dates and could be acquired from the concierge onboard if available.

I seem to be getting all different sorts of answers. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I looked at the suite website but it had so many class levels etc that I can't follow it for whatever reason.

I appreciate the help!

I assume room service isn't good enough for you? (Genuine question, not intended to be offensive).

Edited by novicetraveller

Here are the new perks that will be rolled out only to Oasis and Quantum class. You will get access to the genie by booking certain 2 bedroom suites but they are not a butler. They will have several cabins to service and will not be available to do what you need. I would suggest paying for and bringing your own nanny or caretaker if you require that level of help.

image_zpsw5ajyetf.png

RCI doesn't have butlers....I'm not exactly sure how the "genie" thing is supposed to work...but I'd think it's more of a glorified concierge....I don't think it's been "rolled out" yet!

While RCI does have some 2 bedroom suites, you won't get the butler service you want. Room service (in suites) can get full dining room menu service.

I don't know what sort of disabilities your kids have...if it's autism, there is a great group called "Autism at sea"...they work wonders for folks sailing with this!

You might also want to check on the "Cruising with Disability" forums...those folks have come up with some REALLY creative ways to travel....work a "look-see"! Good luck!

Edited by cb at sea

there are NO butlers at all not even with the new enhanced suite program being rolled out( and only on Quantum and Oasis Class).

all suites can use the MDR menu for room service when the MDR is open/serving.

we had a Butler on Celebrity in our suite..and they are not 'real' butlers at all and he will service many other cabins besides yours. at best they are a contact to minimize wait times or to skip a few steps like having to stand in line at guest services. think a Concierge that instead of having to handle all the Diamond Plus guests and all the suite guests, he will only have to help the suite guests.

furthermore they do not handle specialized needs/requests. they can only do stuff like help you make reservations. if you need full time care for your kids you need to bring your own helper.

oh yeah and the 2 BR suites have a minimum occupancy. usually at least 5 or 6.

Edited by spookwife

I too also have a special needs daughter and normally sail NCL in a two bedroom with the butler.

From what I have read and called up and asked, their new suite program will be rolled out in May of 2016 and only on the Oasis and Quantum class ships.

With their new roll out their "genie" seems to do basically the same duties as the NCL butler so depending on your needs it could work for you. Last year we were able to book the 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite on the Allure with only 3 people so you need to call and ask if they can waive the minimums for the rooms.

As I said, we did the Allure last year and honestly it was way to much for our DD (she has high functioning autism and severe anxiety). The ship was way too crowded and unfortunately our week we ran into extremely rude passengers that diminished our experience greatly. I do not think I would sail that class again regardless of their new suite program.

We decided to give Royal another go, since everyone says how great it is and chalking our last trip up to bad circumstances. We are sailing on the Anthem this February. We have booked two connecting balcony rooms instead of a suite because I do not find any of their suite benefits worth the extra cost for us (before the roll out of the new benefits). Hopefully this will be a much better trip but we do have the 2 bedroom booked on NCL for this summer!

Put a call into the special needs desk and tell them what you need to make the sailing a success for your family and see what they can do. Good luck!!

I do not think any of the mainstream lines compare to NCLs Hven experience. We sail Haven on NCL but regular balcony cabins on kther lines since they do not have dedicated full areas, inhouse Haven concierge and butler service.

Good luck whatever you decide. Happy planning!

I appreciate the help!

Below is from the RCI August 11, 2015 Press Release describing the new Royal Suites Class Program beginning May 1, 2016 on Oasis and Quantum Class Ships http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2078801

*Superior Service: a 'first' for Royal Caribbean, Star Class guests will receive the new and complimentary Royal Genie service. The Royal Genie trained and certified by the British Butler Institute, will serve as a personal assistant to help guests with nearly everything and anything, 24 hours a day. Royal Genies take care of restaurant and show reservations, in-room dining requests, and any other needs – from laundry, pressing and shoe shining, to luggage handling and unpacking. In addition, the Royal Genie will pamper guests with handcrafted cocktails made in-suite as well as assist in creating and reserving customized shore excursions.

Edited by cruisenfever

Does anyone have a list of what the Genie will or will not do? Since the program is not rolled out how does anyone know what functions the Genie will perform. If there is a list out there I'd love to see. I'm guessing the Genie will be the equivalent of a butler. Again no one knows. More to OPs point the 2 bedroom Aquatheatre, Royal Loft and Four Bedroom Presidential Suites are the only multi-bedroom rooms that come with the Genie/possibly butler service.

Here are the new perks that will be rolled out only to Oasis and Quantum class. You will get access to the genie by booking certain 2 bedroom suites but they are not a butler. They will have several cabins to service and will not be available to do what you need. I would suggest paying for and bringing your own nanny or caretaker if you require that level of help.

image_zpsw5ajyetf.png

Thank you for the schematic! I can understand this!

I assume room service isn't good enough for you? (Genuine question, not intended to be offensive).

No offense taken! We would prefer to eat more than pb&j and grilled cheese. That is usually all I have seen on room service menus. I admit to not having delved into RCIs room service menu.

We definitely need the 2 bedroom for space and storage.

OP- keep in mind-the new suite services have not been rolled out so no one here has experienced the 'Royal Genie' which to me sounds like another word for cruise ship butler ;) I'm thinking he/she may very well be close to what NCL has but only time will tell on that.

Keep in mind this will only be available on certain Royal ships.

cruisenfever has given a great start with information and Ourusualbeach has shown you that you want to choose those certain ships and you would want a cabin category in the star class.

I too also have a special needs daughter and normally sail NCL in a two bedroom with the butler.

From what I have read and called up and asked, their new suite program will be rolled out in May of 2016 and only on the Oasis and Quantum class ships.

With their new roll out their "genie" seems to do basically the same duties as the NCL butler so depending on your needs it could work for you. Last year we were able to book the 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite on the Allure with only 3 people so you need to call and ask if they can waive the minimums for the rooms.

As I said, we did the Allure last year and honestly it was way to much for our DD (she has high functioning autism and severe anxiety). The ship was way too crowded and unfortunately our week we ran into extremely rude passengers that diminished our experience greatly. I do not think I would sail that class again regardless of their new suite program.

We decided to give Royal another go, since everyone says how great it is and chalking our last trip up to bad circumstances. We are sailing on the Anthem this February. We have booked two connecting balcony rooms instead of a suite because I do not find any of their suite benefits worth the extra cost for us (before the roll out of the new benefits). Hopefully this will be a much better trip but we do have the 2 bedroom booked on NCL for this summer!

Put a call into the special needs desk and tell them what you need to make the sailing a success for your family and see what they can do. Good luck!!

I appreciate your thoughts. And yes, my son and daughter are non verbal asd. Crowds aren't a huge issue with us, as long as they have time and place to decompress (why we need 2 bedrooms. Need a dark quiet place to chill out for a few hours and a bed to jump on...and my son will not sleep when other people are in the room)

And I don't mean true English butlers...don't need a private servant. Happy to pay for the perk of someone who can get us things we need and cut red tape.

That is why we usually sail NcL

OP- keep in mind-the new suite services have not been rolled out so no one here has experienced the 'Royal Genie' which to me sounds like another word for cruise ship butler ;) I'm thinking he/she may very well be close to what NCL has but only time will tell on that.

Keep in mind this will only be available on certain Royal ships.

cruisenfever has given a great start with information and Ourusualbeach has shown you that you want to choose those certain ships and you would want a cabin category in the star class.

Greatly appreciate that Debde and to everyone for their thoughts and input! Looking around at different lines is always difficult to figure out the little nuances and changes.

I greatly appreciate the time everyone took to help me out!

No offense taken! We would prefer to eat more than pb&j and grilled cheese. That is usually all I have seen on room service menus. I admit to not having delved into RCIs room service menu.

I have to plead ignorance to what pb&j is, but that isn't important. The room service menu is comprehensive from what I understand. I hope you get the answers you are after.

I have to plead ignorance to what pb&j is, but that isn't important. The room service menu is comprehensive from what I understand. I hope you get the answers you are after.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The regular RS menu is fine for breakfast, lunch and snacks but no real dinner items.

It depends on what type of services you need the butler to do for you that the cabin steward or suite concierge can't accommodate for you.

You can eat off the MDR menu if you're in a suite, so if you can't leave the room, you can still eat "real food" in your room.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The regular RS menu is fine for breakfast, lunch and snacks but no real dinner items.

That's what I figured. Good for a snack etc but not 3 meals a day (not that we will need 3 meals a day in the room, but will probably have at least 1 of each).

Have you consider Celebrity?? Some S-1 suites connect to S-2 and both come with a butler. The only problem is that sky suites don't get access to the concierge lounge. Most Celebrity's butlers are wonderful, and IMHO the food is better than RCCL.

BTW, even though RCCL doesn't offer butler services, we never felt the need of one. The concierge will take good care of you and you can order from the MDR menu for every meal, including dinner.

Hope everything works out for you and your family. :)

all classes of full suite on Royal can order from the MDR menu when it is open/serving.

again, these cabins have minimum occupancy level and they really do not care that you want the extra storage. SOMETIMES if they are not booked by final payment they will allow anyone to book them at that point, but otherwise if you do not meet minimum occupancy levels then you are SOL. and you also need to make sure the configuration of the bedrooms works for you.. sometimes one bedroom is bunk beds.

I appreciate your thoughts. And yes, my son and daughter are non verbal asd. Crowds aren't a huge issue with us, as long as they have time and place to decompress (why we need 2 bedrooms. Need a dark quiet place to chill out for a few hours and a bed to jump on...and my son will not sleep when other people are in the room)

And I don't mean true English butlers...don't need a private servant. Happy to pay for the perk of someone who can get us things we need and cut red tape.

That is why we usually sail NcL

define 'things'. what exactly do you expect/require? and as far as red tape not even suites are entitled to cut corners/avoid the chain.

like I said,. one bedroom may be bunk beds; and sorry but no one should be jumping on them at all. you are not at home and some one else will have to sleep on the bed after you.. and no one wants to sleep on a bed that had been beaten into submission.

sorry but no one should be jumping on them at all. you are not at home and some one else will have to sleep on the bed after you.. and no one wants to sleep on a bed that had been beaten into submission.

THANK YOU! Not to mention the people in the cabin underneath you who have to deal with the sounds of beds being jumped on.