Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

As for those of us who still like to dress-up now and then....you can still have your dressy night. Nothing wrong with being the best dressed on the ship :).

Hank

I dunno, Hank. The old rule of thumb was that it is better to be underdressed than overdressed for a social function. Speaking for myself, I don't care to be in a tux when all round me are in jeans. And BTW why all the hoopla about jeans? Can't one be chick in slacks?:confused:

I dunno, Hank. The old rule of thumb was that it is better to be underdressed than overdressed for a social function. Speaking for myself, I don't care to be in a tux when all round me are in jeans. And BTW why all the hoopla about jeans? Can't one be chick in slacks?:confused:

Very interesting that you should say that.

I am a senior and always believed it was better to be underdressed as well.

Those were the days of the Little Black Dress.

When we went to a supper club, we felt better dressed than those who dressed "fancy". Fancy was a bad word!!!

Funny how the times have changed!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

You don't have the right to tell anyone where to go on vacation or what to wear.
Actually they do have the right. Its called "Freedom of Speech". You certainly have the corresponding right to ignore what they say, or comment on it in any manner you choose.

We usually do jeans and casual slacks. We skip formal in the MDR though.

This winter we go to Asia and will try for a last minute cruise. No casual slacks. Just a pair of jeans for the flight, a few pairs of shorts, and some shirts. Not going to carry clothing around for eight weeks just so that we can wear it for a few hours on a cruise.

Done enough of the suits and Mr/Mrs. Dress up during our working lives to please our firms and our customers. Now we are into pleasing ourselves. We have never cared what others wear. We don't judge by clothes nor do other peoples attire have an impact on how we enjoy our evenings in the MDR or optional dining venues. Celebrity is doing the right thing for their business. I applaud them.

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

No bashing, these are my opinions.

I guess Celebrity is now cheaper line :p They can not survive on snobs only ,they need new young blood with lots of kids. I fill sorry for all off you who really pay attention what people wear and you cruise experiences base on this.

PS I always dress up so save you time to offer me a "cheaper" cruise line.

I find it perplexing that some people are still surprised (and in some cases turned off) by people wearing jeans. Fine dining is a hobby of mine; been to nearly 50 different Michelin starred restaurants in the US (venues in Chicago, NYC and San Francisco). In the vast majority of them it is quite common to see both men and women dressed in designer jeans. In large cities in the US this style of dress is considered quite trendy and people can look very stylish attired in this manner. I am dining at a Michelin starred venue this weekend and will be sporting jeans and a sport coat.

^ Could not agree more! I have dined in about 10 Michelin starred restaurants and have worn denim every single time. Thank you for your post, hopefully it helps clarify that the right denim can be appropriate attire in high end settings.

I do understand why some are upset by X allowing denim in the MDR during what were previously formal nights. Some passengers were looking forward to wearing their Tux in a formal setting and likely relied on this as they evaluated vacation options. The attire rules have changed, and it is reasonable to feel uncomfortable wearing formal attire in a chic setting. I know that I would be uncomfortable wearing chic denim in an environment where the majority are wearing formal attire.

The rules have changed. If you booked a cruise under the assumption of formal nights, I do understand your frustration. I however cannot condone the posts that criticize those in support of the change, nor can I understand how someone could be so narrow minded that they suggest the denim wearing crowd to find another cruise line. The executives who keep the cruise line profitable have made a decision, and it seems to me that those that are upset will be the ones who will need to look elsewhere when planning their next vacation.

This is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a MDR then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so I can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

Seeing as jeans are acceptable clothing in the MDR on almost every cruise line and in every land-based restaurant I have every visited then I would suggest that this is your problem to deal with. Perhaps you should cruise on a line which doesn't allow jeans.

Good luck finding one though. They are few and far between.

The irony is that some jeans cost more then my Tux! Go figure. Now I have to go out and buy all kinds of "chic" clothes so that I can be with the masses on Chic nights :). Chic casual clothes costs more the my Tux! Argh! And those folks call a tux wearer a snob? So I guess the question will be if one is allowed to wear a pair of very high priced (chic) jeans? Barney's (in NYC) sells Balmain Jeans for $1555! Now these jeans have very creative rips. So the new dress code says I can wear my $30 Lee Jeans, but my wife can't wear her $1555 Balmain's (in her dreams)?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am sat here wondering how many people's soups I have curdled when wearing my... (Shudder..).. DENIM in the MDR! Oh the horror! [emoji33]🙄

It's not so much the soups, but the sauces and gravies get that weird skin thing on them. I also find that people in jeans make ice cream melt faster.

It's not so much the soups, but the sauces and gravies get that weird skin thing on them. I also find that people in jeans make ice cream melt faster.

i have found things very similar. Not a scientific study but on inside cabin people's wearing jeans makes ice cream melt 1.86368536 faster than those in aqua. figures for luminae ate not available for " data protection" reasons.

Us suite persons would not eat ice cream !!

I have said this in other posts and I will say it here. I would much rather see a man in dark blue or black, pressed, well fitting jeans with a sweater or collared shirt than a man wearing wrinkled cargo pants and a faded t-shirt. I would much rather see a woman wearing well fitting jeans with a nice top than trying to meet the formal dress code by wearing a 10-year old bridesmaid's dress which is out of style and no longer fits her. Many people today, especially under 40, do not own and have no use for formal attire. Follow the dress code, leave the distressed jeans for other environments, and wear designer jeans with an appropriate top. Celebrity has not banned formal attire, so you are free to wear it if that is your preference, just as those who prefer jeans are free to wear them.

Lastly, Celebrity probably made this change based on passenger feedback. If you are unhappy with the change, communicate your displeasure to Celebrity.

I have said this in other posts and I will say it here. I would much rather see a man in dark blue or black, pressed, well fitting jeans with a sweater or collared shirt than a man wearing wrinkled cargo pants and a faded t-shirt. I would much rather see a woman wearing well fitting jeans with a nice top than trying to meet the formal dress code by wearing a 10-year old bridesmaid's dress which is out of style and no longer fits her.

Word.

I'm driven by price and when comparing prices between Princess, NCL and Celebrity, Celebrity was the cheaper cruise line after I factored in the the three perks that I would receive with the booking for the same category room on the other two lines. That was even before the price dropped $200 during a spring sale. I don't bring jeans but the point is I think many on this board put Celebrity on a higher pedestal than it deserves to be on.

When we sailed Solstice, I lost count of the jin MDR we sat with a couple, the man was wearing Blue jeans and sports jacket, and on sitting down he removed his jacket. He was wearing a basic white t-shirt, this did not worry us or any person close to us as they were very good company for dinner.

The irony is that some jeans cost more then my Tux! Go figure. Now I have to go out and buy all kinds of "chic" clothes so that I can be with the masses on Chic nights :). Chic casual clothes costs more the my Tux! Argh! And those folks call a tux wearer a snob? So I guess the question will be if one is allowed to wear a pair of very high priced (chic) jeans? Barney's (in NYC) sells Balmain Jeans for $1555! Now these jeans have very creative rips. So the new dress code says I can wear my $30 Lee Jeans, but my wife can't wear her $1555 Balmain's (in her dreams)?

Hank

Just bought a pair of Kirklands today at Costco. $13.99

When we sailed Solstice, I lost count of the jin MDR we sat with a couple, the man was wearing Blue jeans and sports jacket, and on sitting down he removed his jacket. He was wearing a basic white t-shirt, this did not worry us or any person close to us as they were very good company for dinner.

We prefer good company -- regardless of attire

That's all that matters

In 2000 jeans were a no go. Lots of posts ending mostly with "choose another line."

Now it is fine. So be it. We've cruised the Caribbean for going on 16 years and aside from a pair of jean shorts have never worn denim jeans on any of the almost 20 cruises. Too heavy, too warm and TO ME (IMHO) jeans are nowhere as comfortable as either dress or casual slacks or even suit pants .

To each his or her own.

bosco

The dress code as it was became impractical as airline regulations and baggage fees increased. I go to dinner nightly, dressed in resort casual, I enjoy seeing those who are dress to the 9s, but I don't mind nice casual either to each his own. Enjoy your vacation.

this is my thought on jeans. If you want to wear jeans in a mdr then go on a cheaper cruise line. I work hard to save money to enjoy my cruise and buy nice clothes so i can dress nicely each night and have a fine dining experience. When you wear jeans, you are just ruining it.

save more money

If what someone else is wearing can ruin your night, this says more about you than the person wearing the offending garment.

By the way, if you post something you know will be controversial online, saying "no bashing" will not prevent other people from also stating their opinion.