Ship Security ....

dasania41

if they can do THAT, I would think it would be much easier to take out a mega ship in one shot, with over 6K people on board.

Seriously? In my opinion, it would be much more difficult "to take out a mega ship" than to do all kinds of other horrible stuff. If cruising on a "mega ship" puts anyone in a relatively greater risk environment than otherwise in their life, then that person is truly blessed.

I HAVE thought, geeeezzzz, if they can do THAT, I would think it would be much easier to take out a mega ship in one shot

Actually there would be limited ways to take out a cruise ship with one shot.

As for the personal firearms argument, can we please not go there? I'd rather this thread not get dragged off topic.

There is a working golden retriever on the pier in Fort Lauderdale who loves his or (maybe) her work. I watched the dog and his handler from our cabin's balcony. I assume that the dog was trained for explosives since I don't think Florida is exporting drugs to the Caribbean.

Each pallet was thoroughly inspected! The dog was disappointed when no new pallets arrived, sat down and looked at his human officer, probably to ask, hey when is the next one coming? It was fun to watch.

I think it a bit of a stretch to say no worries what so ever as no where is guaranteed safe in the world even before the terrorist threats of today. However, I think we are as safe on a cruise ship as an airplane, a train, a shopping mall, a sports stadium, a college campus ........ I will not stop cruising because of terrorists but I will say I think about level of risk.

Cruise lines are well aware of risks and do as much as reasonable to keep us safe.

Edited by sail7seas

I would NEVER even consider not cruising. (I have 2 booked right now) BUT....since the 9/11 towers being taken down, I HAVE thought, geeeezzzz, if they can do THAT, I would think it would be much easier to take out a mega ship in one shot, with over 6K people on board.

Well, you have to remember something. In 9/11, the bombs were airplanes. nowadays, that's not so easy in the U.S. To take out a cruise ship would require a ton of logistical work and support that will most likely set off numerous alarms long before the plan is ever even close to being execute ready.

Things like trains, hotels, malls, etc, are soft targets because they are so transient and have little to no security. Cruise ships aren't. Just the booking process alone is a detractor. Even a USS COLE style attack most likely won't sink a cruise ship.

Edited by Aquahound

Seriously? In my opinion, it would be much more difficult "to take out a mega ship" than to do all kinds of other horrible stuff. If cruising on a "mega ship" puts anyone in a relatively greater risk environment than otherwise in their life, then that person is truly blessed.

Really?

Have you ever seen Port Everglades on a weekend when it looks like a cruise ship parking lot? Same for other major ports? It would be unrealistic to think that isn't something the authorities worry about. I don't question what they do to provide security but it is not possible to say it is 'risk free'. IMO

What each of us feels about it is individual and there is no right or wrong that someone can judge someone else's feelings. There are definitely some people who stopped flying after 9-11 and there will be some people who will stop cruising in this new world climate. That is their choice and shouldn't be belittled for it.

I intend to use caution and good judgment and continue doing the things I most enjoy.

I didn't notice anyone saying that cruising is "risk free" - not sure where that came from! Not even walking out to my own mailbox or local market is 'risk free' - you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere. As others have said, we won't stay prisoners in our homes or home towns, but we are now a little more aware of our surroundings and anything/anyone that seems just a little 'off'. If I saw something that concerned me, I would report it to the nearest security presence or, if it felt serious enough or there was no one close by, I'd call 911 or the local equivalent.

Ships and ports do have many levels of security that they do not make public. That became very evident just last week when 2 ships were evacuated in Melbourne, Australia because explosive-sniffing dogs found something they weren't happy with. Luckily, it was a false alarm, but there are precautions taking place.

Edited by Kartgv

No concerns whatsoever

Not concerned at all.

Here are two examples. I do not criticize in any shape or form but to say Not Concerned At All easily is interpreted to mean they don't see high risk. That is absolutely fine.

We do not all feel that way.

And either do the cruise lines. They worry plenty. One bad event (heaven forbid) and those pretty ships will be empty. I trust they are all very responsible companies and doing everything reasonable to keep us safe. There is no 'perfect'.

Late this afternoon, U.S. State Department issued an Alert for all travel, world wide, to extend through the Holidays. Clearly that includes planes, cars, trains, buses, and cruise ships.

Edited by sail7seas

Here are two examples. I do not criticize in any shape or form but to say Not Concerned At All easily is interpreted to mean they don't see high risk. That is absolutely fine.

We do not all feel that way.

And either do the cruise lines. They worry plenty. One bad event (heaven forbid) and those pretty ships will be empty. I trust they are all very responsible companies and doing everything reasonable to keep us safe. There is no 'perfect'.

Late this afternoon, U.S. State Department an Alert for all travel, world wide, to extend through the Holidays. Clearly that includes planes, cars, trains, buses, and cruise ships.

I can see how you came to your conclusion but your interpretation isn't what I think at all. I do see a risk but I happen to believe that I can't control things and when it's my time to go, it's my time to go. I'm just lucky to still be alive today and I'm going to make the most of every day I get to wake up and experience life.

During my world cruise last year I was very impressed with the security around our ship in ports. We sometimes went through 3 or 4 checkpoints with 2 forms of IDs and bags were scand twice.

Don

That's all great but is not the most serious risk points.

Last night on 60 minutes the NewYork city police commissioner said that we are twice as likely to be hit by lightning as we are to be in a terrorist situation.I choose to believe him!

Only twice as likely! That's not comforting to me.

Well, you have to remember something. In 9/11, the bombs were airplanes. nowadays, that's not so easy in the U.S. To take out a cruise ship would require a ton of logistical work and support that will most likely set off numerous alarms long before the plan is ever even close to being execute ready.

Things like trains, hotels, malls, etc, are soft targets because they are so transient and have little to no security. Cruise ships aren't. Just the booking process alone is a detractor. Even a USS COLE style attack most likely won't sink a cruise ship.

:D

I get more nervous driving to work every day on San Antonio roads than I do on a cruise ship.

Planes still make me nervous just because it goes against nature to be able to fly in a 60 ton hollow metal tube at 500 mph :p

Lets see....I drive a tanker truck hauling up to 6500 gal of liquid that can be flammable, corrosive or poison....I pickup and take said liquid to and from chemical plants, water treatment plants or refineries. I drive up and down the interstates and highways everyday then park in truck stops at night....I am basically a potential target 24 hrs a day. Worrying about what might/could/possibly happen on a big white boat doesn't even enter my mind. :rolleyes:

:D

I get more nervous driving to work every day on San Antonio roads than I do on a cruise ship.

Planes still make me nervous just because it goes against nature to be able to fly in a 60 ton hollow metal tube at 500 mph :p

Funny you say that about a 60 ton hollow metal tube flying......

I look at 110,000 ton ship, loaded with 6,000 people, furnishings, decorations, engines, equipment that weights goodness knows how much and the thing Floats!!! :D How does that happen? :)

Funny you say that about a 60 ton hollow metal tube flying......

I look at 110,000 ton ship, loaded with 6,000 people, furnishings, decorations, engines, equipment that weights goodness knows how much and the thing Floats!!! :D How does that happen? :)

When you put it that way :eek:

I looked up the weight of a 737 for my example. Planes seem positively lightweight compared to a cruise ship - wonder what the wingspan would have to be for a cruise ship to fly :confused:

When you put it that way :eek:

I looked up the weight of a 737 for my example. Planes seem positively lightweight compared to a cruise ship - wonder what the wingspan would have to be for a cruise ship to fly :confused:

I'm trying to imagine the mess that a Behemoth of the Seas would make if it fell out of the sky from 35,000 feet - Eeew:eek:

Be thankful that, given a problem, cruise ships would only go glug, glug - an airplane goes splash, glug, glug.:rolleyes:

Security getting on ships is quite good.

What could be improved is security at certain ports of call and this includes some ports in the USA.

Keith

I see the "Heightened Security" for travelers on ABC news this morning. They showed a clip of the people that work at JFK, that are manning the scanners. Guess what? Not even watching the luggage going thru the x-ray machines. They are talking and laughing to each other.

Again, for all of the people that have bashed me because I was honest and said YES, I am concerned......a find it very difficult that you are not. I am not saying that it should keep one from traveling. As you can see in my signature, 9-11 has NOT kept me from cruising. We also fly at least once a year to AI'S.

Yes, the chances of a plane hitting a ship is remote. Yes, the chances of a suicide bomber getting on a ship is remote....but is it impossible? NO, it is not.

Would you have thought that it would be impossible in 2001 that three planes could take down 3 buildings, killing nearly 10K people simultaneously? :rolleyes: Mmmmmm.

I see the "Heightened Security" for travelers on ABC news this morning. They showed a clip of the people that work at JFK, that are manning the scanners. Guess what? Not even watching the luggage going thru the x-ray machines. They are talking and laughing to each other.

Again, for all of the people that have bashed me because I was honest and said YES, I am concerned......a find it very difficult that you are not. I am not saying that it should keep one from traveling. As you can see in my signature, 9-11 has NOT kept me from cruising. We also fly at least once a year to AI'S.

Yes, the chances of a plane hitting a ship is remote. Yes, the chances of a suicide bomber getting on a ship is remote....but is it impossible? NO, it is not.

Would you have thought that it would be impossible in 2001 that three planes could take down 3 buildings, killing nearly 10K people simultaneously? :rolleyes: Mmmmmm.

Not sure why you singled out my post but yes I think security on ships is quite good. As I said the weak point is many of the ports.

I didn't speak about airports nor was that part of the post unless I am missing something.

Keith