Dinner with Captain?

Garavar

How does one get invited to dinner with Captain? Is it only for OS and RS? Or do GS get invited too?

And aside from eating with the captain is the food different? Or anything else different?

With regard to the food, we've seen it both ways, different and the same as the MDR food that night, but most often different. Unlimited good wine too.

Let's not forget that desert. :D

I assume you mean the almond basket with ice cream and berries and sometimes chocolate? I heard somewhere that was the receipe of a Captain's wife, but I cannot remember which.

My husband asked Captain Olav on the Explorer, how you get to dine with him and the next time we were on with him, he invited us. Two other times we were just picked randomly, I guess. Not always with the Captain. Once with the Staff Captain and once with the Chief Engineer. I really don't know how they pick them. We were D & D+, the times we were asked.

Gwen :)

On Celebrity several yrs. ago. We were both long time X cruisers.Elite, almost E+. Upon asking how they choose, was told Elite hostess and Food and Beverage manager got together to pick and choose. I remember talking with F@B guy a few times prior. You meet for a private cocktail party, then enter MDR when everyone else was seated on the upper staircase with all watching us.I do remember a wonderful velvety Cab at dinner and better grade Champagne at prior cocktail even. Nice event, no Captain. Was co hosted by hostess and F@B man.

We've somehow been invited 4 times. It is indeed a mystery as to how the invites happen - we have met other passengers at every level - from first time cruisers to constant cruisers, inside cabins to suites.

I know twice on Royal we were invited by the maitre'd - the first time we were at a large table and we were the only ones there. He came by to speak to us to tell us that our tablemates had moved to early dining. We must have behaved normally (ha - fooled him) because we were invited a few nights later. The 2nd time it was the same maitre'd - he remembered us and I guess was looking for spots to fill. The 3rd time on Royal I think it was the concierge who invited us. Not sure why. The other time was on Celebrity and I think that one was a complete fluke. I happened to be in the cabin on a sea day and the phone rang. It was the social hostess inviting us that night. I have a feeling they had a cancellation and were looking for repeat passengers who knew the drill. I had to give her an answer right away so they could complete the table.

I can't remember which staff member told me but each captain has his preferences on who is selected. They can be very particular - from only wanting first time cruisers to only wanting suites or only wanting couples of a certain age. Some are very shy and don't like doing it so they assign different officers to do it for them. From my experience, it does seem that they gravitate toward people who they feel can behave appropriately in a formal setting, who can carry on a conversation with strangers and be comfortable doing so. The loud partiers and t shirt and shorts crowd are not getting that invite. (Ha - good thing they don't see us at the pool bar during the day! ;)) Our experience is that it has always been a different menu.

If you are interested, a polite and gentle question to the maitre'd, concierge, possibly the loyalty ambassador are probably the best ways to approach it. We've always enjoyed it but don't "pursue" it - but Mr Wolf always feels if we are asked, we should go. Easy for him to say - I seem to often find myself next to the captain or officer. It's flattering but it's a nerve wracking spot to be in!

Enjoyed reading all the posts because I am taking our daughter on her first cruise in March (she is turning 50) and I so want to give her all the experiences that we have been fortunate to have. If you really know how to get a seat with the captain at his table please let me know so I can try to get this special time for her.

Thanks

I think the clue is in the question first asked by the OP. Invited. You are invited. It is not a thing you can request usually (I presume).

We were on our first trip as Elite on Celebrity, getting the reciprocal status for Diamond we had achieved on Royal. We were invited to dine with the Captain, and the other passengers were a very frequent cruising couple and a couple that were in a top level suite. The Captain's Club Hostess was also with us at the table, as I think the fourth couple may have cancelled, plus the Officer that was in charge of Hotel services (?not sure of her title). I think they like to have a mix of people.

On our recent trip on Voyager we spoke to some first time cruisers that were in a suite, and they were invited to the Captain's table, and they said, "sorry, we already booked for Izumi's, no thanks!"

As for the food, we had choices of the formal night menu - lobster etc, and the white wine was the smoothest I had ever tasted :)

We really valued the experience, but if I never get invited again I would just feel like others are getting a turn.

I've noticed that every person who organizes the Meet and Greet gets invited to dine with the captain. A little motivation there, if you want to handle the roll call.

Maybe its only the ones from Westerville, not the southside of I-270! ;) I've been the organizer of several roll calls and never seen an invitation! But since I haven't taken a suit with me on a cruise since 2009, I'd probably have to turn it down unless the captain also wants to rent a tux for me.

I did talk to one crew member who told me, and I forget which ship he this was on that the only time the captain gives any input on his ship was if he saw a hometown on a manifest that was near his home. I have no doubt this is one of those things each ship does a little different, possibly depending on how involved the Captain wants to be.

I have dined with the captain 3 times in the past. I asked once after being selected and the answer was the staff looks for interesting people. Often the concierge has input via the lounge participants. So if you are acting like a crazy drunk in the lounge or anywhere on the ship.....probably not going to get selected.

However, I might add, once I was sitting at the table and the captain had a lifelong friends in attendance (mother, father, child) and a guy next to me asked the lady a major inappropriate question.....it was followed by deafening silence and the look on the Captains face was not a happy one.

Edited by rolloman

was once invited to dine with the Captain on a transatlantic. Her reply:

Why would I want to dine with the help?"

We too once had the chance to Dine with the Captain of the SS Norway, and had a reception in his private quarters. Yes, it was formal wear onlyl

I've noticed that every person who organizes the Meet and Greet gets invited to dine with the captain. A little motivation there, if you want to handle the roll call.

Not true on Royal Caribbean....I've never seen the organizer of the Meet & Mingle sitting with the Captain, unless it was a coincidence. We're very lucky if the Captain even knows about it or even comes to the M&M. Might have seen the Captain make an appearance once in all the time I have been going to a M&M. And I have been to a lot of them.

Not true on Royal Caribbean....I've never seen the organizer of the Meet & Mingle sitting with the Captain, unless it was a coincidence. We're very lucky if the Captain even knows about it or even comes to the M&M. Might have seen the Captain make an appearance once in all the time I have been going to a M&M. And I have been to a lot of them.

I have limited Meet and Mingle experience. One RCI and one Celebrity. The Captain came to the one on Celebrity Equinox. Capt. James not on Jewel OTS.

just curious

how would you like a job that on top of a TON of other responsibilities

required you to get dressed up for dinner every night, or say just 4 of 7 in any week, and play host to 8 or 10 people you've never met?

YOU might love it ... but it is NOT a requirement talked about on the CAPTAIN's test!

Captains who dine with the pass' (and not all do) will sometimes seek out people who look like they have similar interests or ones they might enjoy talking to ... versus the ones who just happened to pay for the most expensive cabin ...

I've dined with several both in the dining room and privately in their quarters, and gone with the them on their 'shore time' in a port, and have had them see me/us sitting in a lounge and just sit and join us of a while .... to talk shop .... and been on the bridge wing during docking

but I cheat

shameless.jpg

commonality of interest was easy to spot a mile away

and while in the Captain's seat, the least likely to get an invite from me, was to ask for one . . .

I have limited Meet and Mingle experience. One RCI and one Celebrity. The Captain came to the one on Celebrity Equinox. Capt. James not on Jewel OTS.

The only time I ever saw a Captain at a M&M was on the Celebrity Summit. One of the CC members asked the Captain if he would invite us to tour the bridge and he did. Was really nice. Can't really remember if we saw any on a Royal ship. If there was, it was Capt. Espen Been on the Grandeur. Not sure if he was there for the CC M&M or just happen to pass through the Viking Crown lounge when we were were having our get together.

Yeah, not sure how the treat it on RCI, but at NCL the Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer, and Hotel Director had a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, at all times when assigned to the ship, so even if ashore, no drinking. So, on top of your "day" job, you get to schmooze with folks you don't know, holding a glass of ginger ale or tonic water. They weren't my favorite times. More than happy to mingle and chat during working hours, but by law we're supposed to get so many hours of rest each day. :o