REVIEW: Westerdam-November 28th-December 5th

dande01

Here is my review of the Westerdam for our cruise from November 28th thru December 5th.

I have been sailing on HAL since 1995 and have over 100-days 3-star Mariner.

It was 6 years ago that I went on a cruise my last cruise and that was on Holland America ship. I have noticed many changes but when you haven't been on a cruise for 6 years and we decided to go back to HAL, I was a bit surprised of the changes onboard.

We choose the Westerdam because in 1995 that is when we took our 1st HAL cruise it was a 7-day on the older Westerdam and we loved it ever since and we have returned back time and time again on the Westerdam and many other of the "dam" ships.

Since we were one of the 1st guest on the newer Westerdam in 2004, the ship has some wear and tear. I remember when everything was new onboard the ship. Now in 2015, our cabin had much wear and tear. We had the Veranda cabin. Our sofa was dirty and worn out. the table infront of the sofa was damaged and scratch up a lot and worn out. The carpet was horrible, dirty and worn. Hopefully HAL will soon revamp the cabins.

The service was great and I had a very relaxing time. Overall the ship was clean and enjoyable.

However, some of the changes I noticed that changed in the past 6-years was a bit disappointing for me. Not everyone is going to agree with my review but here it goes:

Dinning room: We requested a table for 2 which we got. Our dinner was at 8pm (reserved time). We went to the dinning room at 7:50pm and we walk right in to our table. Years past, the dinning room doors were closed and they open up at 8:00pm and the "yum-yum" man would walk around and chimp and a small instrument...not this time...the doors were open, we walked in and sat at our table.

We also notice the selection of food in the dinning room was limited and the portions were extremely smaller from the appetizers to the main course. The taste and presentation was good, but the portions were so small at times I had to check the food I was eating. For example, there was a scallop appetizer I ordered...but when the plate arrived it was 3 very small scallops...I needed a magnifier to see what I was served and eating. Although the portions have been reduced, you can ask for 2nds and/or 3rds or try other dishes and the waiter will bring it out.

The dessert extravagance...they took that away...I use to enjoy when they set up the tables at the lido pool and made a great presentation. Although it was a lot of desserts and perhaps a lot of waste, it was sad to see no more dessert extravagance.

Pinnacle Grill was great, its worth the extra $29 per person. I remember it was $25pp but its still worth the $4 increase. However being a 3-star mariner we get 25% off so the increase was not an issue. Excellent service and food.

Now...the Pinnacle when they turn it into LeCirque night...that was a joke. They charge $69pp and the menu was awful. I was actually looking forward to trying the LeCirque menu and I would have paid the $69pp...but the menu was not appealing at all...the Pinnacle Grill had better choices and cheaper price.

The Catalano at the Lido. I remember when this was free. The food was great. Now they charge $10pp. Although $10 isn't that bad...what they do is serve you the same selection, on fancy plates that you can get for free at the Italian section of the Lido. Why would I want to pay for a "special" Italian dinner when I can eat it for free??? It didn't make sense to pay the $10pp.

The SPA: I normally do several spa treatments throughout the cruise...well not this time. The prices have gone up so much, that I only did one treatment and that was expensive...I decided to treat myself but only that one time...again, the prices they charged did not justify the treatment.

Also a side note: They use to do a free tour of the kitchen and the navigational deck. Well that changed...they now charge $150pp for a tour of the navigational deck along with the engine room. The kitchen tour is still free.

No welcome aboard captain event...although we are mariners we had our usual mariners lunch and the captain made a speech and welcomed us back onboard and being loyal HAL guests.

I also notice they took away the guy that walks around the ship doing the video tapping of the cruise. But I figure it wasn't a great money maker and most likely not many people purchased the cruise video.

Tea time: Years ago, HAL made a very good presentation of Dutch Tea...the Adiago Strings would play live and they did a wonderful presentation....years ago it was in the queens lounge, they moved it into the dinning room. This time...it was in the dinning room. The doors were open...you walked in..picked your desserts from a table....then a waiter stands infront of you with a box of tea to select from, you choose your tea, sit at a table..and another waiter comes by with hot water. No presentation....recorded music pumped into the dinning room....and that was tea.

Entertainment: This was a major disappointment for me.

1. No more HAL Cats-now they are called "The Band" (how original). The music selection they played was very limited and many of the songs they played...I never heard of and I'm pretty good at songs and titles and who sings the songs...but this new "band" had the worst music selection. Not only did they have the worse music selection, they hardly played...I remember in the Ocean Bar the music and the music selection was great and they would play for longer hours...by 10:30pm...no music, no dancing...the ocean bar was "dead"...nobody around.

The HAL cats use to play by the pool...NOPE!!! Just one lady (I forget her name) playing a kettle drum (one drum) to pre-programmed music all by herself. I remember the HAL cats would play at Half Moon Cay...nope...just the same lady with the kettle drum playing to pre-programmed music. It was sad to see that.

The HAL cats also had a singer...she or he would sing...not anymore...gone!!!

Years ago, they had a band call the Neptunes...not any more...the "band" as they call has replaced the Neptunes and the Hal Cats and this new "band" plays less with no singer with limited hours and a terrible selection of music that is played.

The shows, the Holland America Singers & Dancers: I remember the stage performances were great...they did a solute to stage and screen and/or Broadway...the music selection and the arrangements were great...now the shows are horrible...music selection is bad, the performers look tired and burnt out...the arrangement didn't make sense to me on both shows.

They had a very good piano player...he did one show called the legends of rock & roll...it was more like a tribute to Elton John and Billy Joel. That show didn't make sense at all and it was all over the place and again the music selection was horrible.

The magician which is not usually the best act...he was very good. and

The last show on the last night was very good which was the "dancing with the stars"...it was very good and I'm not a fan of dancing with the stars.

I didn't see the comedian but others onboard didn't rave about him...but he was one of the judges on the Dancing with the Stars and he was very funny as one of the judges.

BB King Blues Jazz Band: Nothing impressive...it wasn't thrilled...again. Limited song selections and Limited time playing...after 10;30pm...all music ended and stopped. The HAL Cats and the Neptunes were much better in my opinion. I really didn't enjoy this new BB King thing.

Lido Restaurants: The Burger Grill was great...I love what they did with it and how they upgraded the burgers and the hot dog selection and the different styles of burger and hot dogs...great job!!!

The Lido food...was acceptable...but I notice the desserts seem to be not as sweet and it seem to be pre-made and frozen tasting...much if the desserts had a stale taste to them or no taste at all. Bread Pudding was put out...but that also was very loose...not firm...the bread pudding was very, very moist and not as sweet and very limited amount of bread pudding was put out and offered.

Shore Excursions: I normally book 1 or 2 shore excursions. Prior to the cruise I go online to the HAL website and I check out the excursions. I didn't find anything I liked. Although we have been to Puerto Rico and St.Thomas many, many times, the excursions seem to be a bit pricey and nothing appealing. We waited to get on the ship and perhaps they had more to offer...again, over-priced and nothing appealing. We've seen those excursions before and not worth the price.

For us it was better to get off the ship hire a cab and go were we wanted to go and arrange our own excursion.

If this was my first cruise and didn't know any better, I would have loved the cruise. Although I was a bit taken back by all the changes I can understand that things do change from 1995 to today and the cruise lines have to adjust. The cost and the price we pay are still the same prices and in some cases cheaper so I can understand that while the cruise line is keeping prices reasonable and somewhat affordable, they have to take away some of the things to keep the prices the same. The cost of fuel, food and labor has gone up since 1995 and 6 years ago so I understand the lesser offerings and some of the changes. Overall we still had a good cruise and I will be booking another for next year on another "dam" ships.

Edited by dande01

Thanks for the review.

Many of us don't miss the HAL cats as they were often very loud and overbearing. But that really depended on the cruise.

It sounds like you still had a good time which is a good thing. No question there have been a lot of changes since you cruised last and now.

I am sure some things were surprising/disappointing but it sounds like you adapted.

Sorry to hear about the condition of your stateroom though. Our staterooms have been fine so far on the Westerdam and I hope that is the case in April;)

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and welcome home.

Thanks for posting your review. We were on the Westerdam this past September and did not have worn and dirty carpet and furniture in our cabin. I don't understand why they couldn't clean the dirty carpet and sofa; cleaning supplies should be available to resolve the issue. I've read that the next dry dock for the Westerdam will be sometime in 2017; date to be announced.

Edited by qsuzi

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Yes -- there have been quite a few changes in recent years.

As for the HAL Cats -- we don't miss their screaming and playing loud music. We have walked by the BB King's -- way too loud for us.

The last dessert extravaganza we had on a cruise was on the Westerdam, 2013 repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle -- held in the afternoon in the Atrium.

It does sound like you had a good time since you will be booking another cruise on a "dam" ship.

Thanks for posting your review. We were on the Westerdam this past September and did not have worn and dirty carpet and furniture in our cabin. I don't understand why they couldn't clean the dirty carpet and sofa; cleaning supplies should be available to resolve the issue. I've read that the next dry dock for the Westerdam will be sometime in 2017; date to be announced.

I did notice while walking around the ship, some of the empty cabins on the lower decks that were vacant, they had a crew laying down new carpet, the sofa and the bed was removed and they seem to be revamping.

Remember I was on the Westerdam when the ship was new in 2004. I've been on the ship after that many times...but since I have not been on any cruise in the past 6-years, my vision of the Westerdam is a bit different.

The ship itself is in great clean shape...just in my cabin you can see some wear and tear but it didn't ruin my trip and the cabin steward cleaned the cabin. Its just over time with guest coming and going each week there will be some worn out spots.

The cruise itself was great. I accumulated quickly to the changes and accepted the changes.

The prices of the cruise and what the cruise offers is still a very good deal and as a company, the cruise company has to stay within a budget to keep the guesting coming onboard so I understand its also a business and for me my focus is to relax and unwind and chill out which I did and I'm looking forward to booking my next HAL cruise...now the question is which one???

I did notice while walking around the ship, some of the empty cabins on the lower decks that were vacant, they had a crew laying down new carpet, the sofa and the bed was removed and they seem to be revamping.

Remember I was on the Westerdam when the ship was new in 2004. I've been on the ship after that many times...but since I have not been on any cruise in the past 6-years, my vision of the Westerdam is a bit different.

The ship itself is in great clean shape...just in my cabin you can see some wear and tear but it didn't ruin my trip and the cabin steward cleaned the cabin. Its just over time with guest coming and going each week there will be some worn out spots.

The cruise itself was great. I accumulated quickly to the changes and accepted the changes.

The prices of the cruise and what the cruise offers is still a very good deal and as a company, the cruise company has to stay within a budget to keep the guesting coming onboard so I understand its also a business and for me my focus is to relax and unwind and chill out which I did and I'm looking forward to booking my next HAL cruise...now the question is which one???

It's so refreshing to read positive comments even though you experienced changes and cutbacks which happen on all cruise lines over time. Kudo's to the cabin steward and good to hear they are replacing carpet as cabins become available. How about Alaska for your next HAL cruise. :)

Edited by qsuzi

Glad you had a good cruise.

But frankly, if I entered a hotel room and found that:

- the sofa 'was dirty and worn out'

-the sofa table 'damaged and scratched up a lot'

-the carpet 'horrible, dirty, and worn'

I would be asking for or demanding another room. Clearly not the cabin in the brochure.

Here is the issue. People accept this nonsense as par for the course. They should not. Or are they conditioned to accept it? It would be of no consolation to me that some other cabin was being refurbished. The only cabin I care about is the one that I am in.

You have to be an incredible HAL cheerleader to think something like this is acceptable in the hospitality industry, shrug it off, and say oh well. I can see this happening in a Motel 6, but not in a Marriott. This is not a cutback. It is a basic failure to maintain a cabin to standard...or to any standard it would seem.

HAL should be ashamed that a guest would report something like this on a cruise forum-let alone assign in to customer.

Edited by iancal

Glad you had a good cruise.

But frankly, if I entered a hotel room and found that:

- the sofa 'was dirty and worn out'

-the sofa table 'damaged and scratched up a lot'

-the carpet 'horrible, dirty, and worn'

I would be asking for or demanding another room. Clearly not the cabin in the brochure.

Here is the issue. People accept this nonsense as par for the course. They should not. Or are they conditioned to accept it? It would be of no consolation to me that some other cabin was being refurbished. The only cabin I care about is the one that I am in.

You have to be an incredible HAL cheerleader to think something like this is acceptable in the hospitality industry, shrug it off, and say oh well. I can see this happening in a Motel 6, but not in a Marriott. This is not a cutback. It is a basic failure to maintain a cabin to standard...or to any standard it would seem.

HAL should be ashamed that a guest would report something like this on a cruise forum-let alone assign in to customer.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. What the OP describes is not acceptable for HAL. Hope this is remedied soon.

Thank you for your review. It is interesting to read it from the perspective of someone who has not cruised for quite some time. I have to agree with the previous poster that there is no excuse for the sad state of your cabin, however. I would not have wanted to stay in a cabin in that condition, and at the very least they should have cleaned the carpet and sofa.

Just think,,,some unlucky couple will be getting this cabin for their Christmas cruise. Hopefully they will keep their shoes on while in the cabin.

And they will probably be paying top dollar for it as well.

How would you like it?

Edited by iancal

Hello

Thank you for your review.

Will someone please tell me what is so SPECIAL about HAL anymore? Please tell me exactly sets it apart? What makes it distinctive? I sailed with HAL many times until I got fed up with their cutbacks. As far as I am concerned it is being run into the ground by bean cutters and executives who are not really proud of what they are doing, just getting every penny they can into their pockets. The day will come when FEW will ever want to set foot on their ships. This began, in my opinion when Stein Kruse became CEO. (Since gone) What a shame it has become.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

I was on this cruise, my first HAL. I wasn't impressed by the ship. Atrium was like a basement with no area for entertainment, sitting and chatting unlike others ships I've been on. The halls had terrible art--matte finished with fake frames of ugly flowers on deck 7. There were pretty orchids on all the tables in the Lido. The indoor pool was very nicely decorated.

My veranda cabin was in very good condition and very nicely appointed. The veranda is as large as an extended on Carnival with nice furniture and the door didn't slam! Never heard one slam during the cruise.

Food was very hit or miss. On the first day I asked for a Rueben and the man at the deli asked me if whole wheat bread was okay!! He had to step into his storage area to get some rye. I had to ask him to leave it on the grill longer which he did but it was still not done right when he took it off quite a bit later. The grill just wasn't hot. The meat and cheese were still cold.

Burgers at Dive In were delicious! Comparable to Guy's. Hot dog not so good. Chicken salad at deli was good, good selection of bread. Eggs benedict in many variations available daily. Those fake scrambled eggs were worse than Carnival has.

I had open seating couldn't get waited on in the MDR. I'd sit for 10 minutes before getting water, another 10 to get a menu, 15 to order and a while later food would eventually show up that was tepid. After the first night when I finally got a waiter I told him I had problems with food temps, the food was served at the right temp. The night they served prime rib I had a gorgeous plate of prime rib. But it was so tough I couldn't cut it!

Shows with singers/dancers in auditorium weren't worth sitting through. No set decoration, only lighting. Piano guy could play the piano but his voice was awful! Should have used taped singing. Magic show was one I've seen several times but good.

Got charged for the wine tasting which I didn't do. Easily fixed by guest services. GS gave me 4 wrong answers to 4 different questions during the cruise. I was told there was no library on ship. Deck legend has it on deck 3 but that's Digital workshop now, library on 10 next to Crow's Nest. And the wake up request didn't work.

Still enjoyed my trip. Spent a lot of time on the veranda relaxing and reading in quiet. I enjoyed the steel drum and she was a good teacher during her classes.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

One thing to keep in mind when comparing events from 20 years ago to today. Our own likes and dislikes have changed, we are filled with more life experience and it often takes more to impress today than when on earlier cruises and seeing things for the first time.

I reminder the first time I saw the ocean.....I was blown away! Today, not so much, but still the same ocean.

I have cruised both Princess and HAL in the last 12 months. Taking away the differences based on ship size, not a huge difference, but I prefer HAL because of their superior room service - especially breakfast, the free NYT and the fact they let you stay in your room until your debarkation time is called.

Not huge differences, and I choose mainly on itinerary - ties go to HAL.

I recently sailed HAL with my sister and BIL. It was their first cruise and they Loved It!!! They were blown away by things I have long taken for granted......like ocean views...

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Thanks very much for your review. Very readable!

Your review showcases a lot of the changes very well.

I was especially interested in your views on the food. Portions sizes, Afternoon Tea (live music used to be a treat), Lido desserts (frozen ones have been standard for a long time), Le Cirque, Pinnacle, The Dive-In (a big improvement). All good and informative comments.

OP...I'm dying to know what this means:

"Years past, the dinning room doors were closed and they open up at 8:00pm and the "yum-yum" man would walk around and chimp and a small instrument...not this time..

The "yum-yum man" I'm familiar with, but the rest of it I can't figure out.

OP...I'm dying to know what this means:

"Years past, the dinning room doors were closed and they open up at 8:00pm and the "yum-yum" man would walk around and chimp and a small instrument...not this time..

The "yum-yum man" I'm familiar with, but the rest of it I can't figure out.

The Yum Yum man used to walk through the hallway outside the MDR doors (around the Ocean Bar) with chimes to call people to dinner. They sometimes still do it, as on our repositioning cruise a few times.

Edited by Lizzie68

Thank you for your balanced review. I am looking forward to see how the larger Westerdam compares to my only other HAL cruise on the Ryndam. I just know the I was able to afford the lower balcony rates on the Westerdam than the ones that were on the Ryndam.

Edited by coaster

THIS IS THE CAPTAIN SPEAKING! SHUT UP!

Direct quote from the Captain of the Westerdam (11-28-15) during muster.

Will this level of professionalism and composure be similar during a real crisis?

Is this really an example of his opinion of his valued HAL passengers?

THIS IS THE CAPTAIN SPEAKING! SHUT UP!

Direct quote from the Captain of the Westerdam (11-28-15) during muster.

Will this level of professionalism and composure be similar during a real crisis?

Is this really an example of his opinion of his valued HAL passengers?

Well, how bad were the passengers? At muster drill you're supposed to stand still, be quiet and listen. Sounds like he (or, most likely, the lifeboat leaders) were getting quite exasperated.

Good review, but one part was not right:

"The Catalano at the Lido. I remember when this was free. The food was great. Now they charge $10pp. Although $10 isn't that bad...what they do is serve you the same selection, on fancy plates that you can get for free at the Italian section of the Lido."

First of all, it is called Canaletto, and second, it is not the same as the Italian section.

Why would they make a specialty restaurant and, as you say serve the same as a buffet. Makes no sense!

I was on the Westie in 2005, and last January 2015, and I did not see any run down areas, and decor is typical for any dam ship. The entertainment is also typical for that class ship.

I will be on the ol gal for a 21 day cruise very soon and quite looking forward to it.

I was on the Westerdam in October. It was my 10th cruise, but my first with HAL, so I didn't know what to expect. I was extremely pleased with the DINING room service and menu. I had absolutely no complaints about my stateroom, it was clean and well taken care of. Loved the Pinnacle, Dive-In, the MDR, the buffet and, of course, the bread pudding. I found the entertainment more than acceptable. The woman on the steel drum was great, the band in the blues club was terrific and we enjoyed some, not all, of the shows in the theatre. We enjoyed HAL so much that we have booked the Nieuw Amsterdam in March and can't wait. :)