When to get off one ship & head on to the next?

Extra Kim

We are getting back to Miami on Majesty O.t.s 1st feb, we are then embarking Celebrity Equinox in Fort Lauderdale the same day. We are planing on taking a shuttle to the airport in Fort Lauderdale and from there get a cab to port Everglades. The shuttle leaves at these times 8 AM, 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM or 12 PM. The drive take around one hour to the airport and 10 - 15 min (?) from the airport to the cruise port. Add on some time to get a cab.

We are not planing on spending any time in Fort Lauderdale and would like to go from one ship to the other without waiting a lot in port Everglades.

When would you leave the Majesty and why?

Why not take the taxi direct from the port when you leave the ship? Is there a reason you are going back to the airport to get a taxi?

Be sure the taxi driver either quotes you a fare or puts on the meter.

The fare will likely be in the range of $90 before tip (roughly) depending upon traffic.

The ride should be about 50 minutes, again depending upon traffic.

Leave your ship according to disembarkation number you are given. Most ships make you leave no later than 9:30 or 10:00. Check in at Port Everglades usually starts in the area of 11:00.

Edit:

I just reread your post.

I get it now. You don't want a taxi from Miami to FLL. You want to take a shuttle which goes to the airport in FLL.

A taxi from FLL airport to Port Everglades is about 10 minutes.

Take the 9:00 or the next one.

Edited by sail7seas

I would plan to pack everything the night before, deal with your 'checked' baggage however they tell you (leave out shoes! if they are taking your bags from the hall during the night) -- take carry-ons when you go for breakfast. In other words, VACATE your room at this time, so the sewards can get on with making up for the next set of passengers.

So sign up for the shuttle whenever you think you will be done with breakfast -- but not the 8am one because there's no point in getting to FLL TOO early.

When we sailed on NCL from FLL, the night before we got a recorded call telling us not to show up at the port until relatively late because of staggered boarding. We already had our red-eye flight coming in at dawn! We wandered up and down the airport, stopping at least three times for "refreshments" and finally gave up and went to the port somewhat earlier than they had told us, but late enough to miss lunch (maybe that was the point of the phonecall?). There was a wait to board, but it was not long or awful, and we learned to ignore that sort of call!

However if you get to the new ship too early, you may not be allowed to go to your stateroom immediately. Some people report being able to leave carry-on luggage in rooms that are still being made up; some say not.

ETA, Sail types faster than me!

Edited by crystalspin

It makes no sense to go out to MIA to catch another shuttle. If you post the issue on the North America Home Ports/East Coast Departures you might find out about a shuttle service that will take you direct from port to port. Otherwise, it would make more sense to take a shuttle from the POM to FLL from where it is a very short taxi ride over to Port Everglades. Keep in mind that going from POM out to MIA is a 15-20 min ride and hardly worth the hassle.

As to when to do the transfer, we would probably not want to go much before 9:30. You can relax, enjoy the last morning on the cruise, and still have plenty of time to get to Port Everglades before they even start the boarding process. No reason to rush and find yourself cooling your heels in the Port.

Hank

Have a nice breakfast on Majesty, be one of the last off the ship. Catch the 10am shuttle, get to FLL and grab a taxi, $17.00 to the pier. arrive at the ship around 11:30 and be one of the first to board. Last month we boarded Allure at 10:45 and were able to drop our carryon off at the cabin, although if you ask they will tell you no, and the enjoy the ship..

Thanks for the replys.

We have never sailed out of/into POM (only Port Everglades, San Juan and Barcelona), how much time does it normaly take to disembark and go through the CBP in Miami?

It makes no sense to go out to MIA to catch another shuttle. If you post the issue on the North America Home Ports/East Coast Departures you might find out about a shuttle service that will take you direct from port to port. Otherwise, it would make more sense to take a shuttle from the POM to FLL from where it is a very short taxi ride over to Port Everglades. Keep in mind that going from POM out to MIA is a 15-20 min ride and hardly worth the hassle.

Hank

We are not going to MIA, we are going to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL). From what I have found out there's no direct shuttles between POM - Port Everglades that day.

GOOD question and no easy answer as to time to clear CBP.

It depends how many Officials are available, how many ships in port at the same time. Plan at least 35 minutes or so. If it takes less, great but it well could take longer.

Edited by sail7seas

We are getting back to Miami on Majesty O.t.s 1st feb, we are then embarking Celebrity Equinox in Fort Lauderdale the same day. We are planing on taking a shuttle to the airport in Fort Lauderdale and from there get a cab to port Everglades. The shuttle leaves at these times 8 AM, 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM or 12 PM. The drive take around one hour to the airport and 10 - 15 min (?) from the airport to the cruise port. Add on some time to get a cab.

We are not planing on spending any time in Fort Lauderdale and would like to go from one ship to the other without waiting a lot in port Everglades.

When would you leave the Majesty and why?

Plan on the 10:00 shuttle. You will be near the end of the people debarking that way. You will probably get to the port in FLL by 11:30 that way. That will minimize the amount of time that you have off of either ship, though you will still probably have to wait a while in FLL before you board but it should be minimal (no more than an hour).

Edited by zqvol

I am always of the thinking to expect Mr. Murphy (Murphy's Law) to show up when least welcome. Get to FLL as soon as you can. MUCH better you may need to wait than there is an accident on the road that delays your ride, a flat tire.... who knows what. Get to Port Everglades and read a book or newspaper if you need to wait.

JMO

A taxi from Miami to Ft. Laud. is WAY too expensive....check SAS Transportation for private shuttle fares...lots and lots less $$$$!

We all get to decide for ourselves what we wish to pay for one thing or another. Maybe the convenience is worth it to someone but not to you.

Such a statement just doesn't work for everyone.

I quoted an approximate price so OP can get an idea what it might cost.

It isn't for me to tell them if that is too costly for them or not.

If you are planning to go from the POM directly to FLL, then there are quite a few different shuttle options. As I said earlier, you can get good info on the East Coast Departures board here on CC, or simply Google Port of Miami to FLL shuttles and you will get a few hits.

As to how long to get off the ship, there are just too many variables to give you an accurate predictions. Everything depends on how long it takes the US CBP folks to clear the ship and then process the passengers in the terminal. This is not normally a problem since there are plenty of shuttles to FLL (including one run by most cruise lines at a premium price). But you have no worries since you can arrive at Port Everglades just about anytime up until 1 1/2 hours before your ship is scheduled to depart. And keep in mind that it is a relatively fast taxi ride from FLL to Port Everglades.

Hank

We all get to decide for ourselves what we wish to pay for one thing or another. Maybe the convenience is worth it to someone but not to you.

Such a statement just doesn't work for everyone.

I quoted an approximate price so OP can get an idea what it might cost.

It isn't for me to tell them if that is too costly for them or not.

Eh, CB always tells people what to do.;)

For all anyone knows, $90 could be pocket change to the OP.:D

Yes, it's a nice idea to give someone an approximate cost.:)

A taxi from Miami to Ft. Laud. is WAY too expensive....check SAS Transportation for private shuttle fares...lots and lots less $$$$!

Not to be rude, but did you even read my post?

We will take a shuttle, we already have decided on what shuttle company to use, that's how I know what times they leave POM.