Global entry as ID card

Tropical77

Hi,

I will be taking a closed loop cruise next week and was wondering if the Global Entry card could be used as a valid ID with the birth certificate. I am not asking about using it for expedited lines, etc as I know that not all ports have access for that. I just want to know if it can be used instead of the driver's license. My cruise website mentions that Sentri and Nexus are allowed but does not mention the actual Global Entry ID.

Thank you!

Hi,

I will be taking a closed loop cruise next week and was wondering if the Global Entry card could be used as a valid ID with the birth certificate. I am not asking about using it for expedited lines, etc as I know that not all ports have access for that. I just want to know if it can be used instead of the driver's license. My cruise website mentions that Sentri and Nexus are allowed but does not mention the actual Global Entry ID.

Thank you!

What you need with a birth certificate (for US citizens aged 16 and over) is a "government-issued photo ID". Doesn't have to be a driver's license.

Edited by Shmoo here

What you need with a passport (for US citizens aged 16 and over) is a "government-issued photo ID". Doesn't have to be a driver's license.

You don't need anything with a passport.

Without a passport, you need a government issued ID, with a photo. If the Global Entry card has a photo it will be fine.

You don't need anything with a passport.

Without a passport, you need a government issued ID, with a photo. If the Global Entry card has a photo it will be fine.

Oops, what I meant to say was "what you need with a birth certificate". Sorry.

Fixed it.

Edited by Shmoo here

The Global Entry Card would meet the government picture ID standard....assuming that the rent-a-cops at the port have a clue. Personally, we prefer to have a drivers license (although DW and moi both have current Global Entry Cards).

Hank

Hi,

Thank you!

If you have a global entry card, then you already have a passport. Bring the passport.

I wouldn't rely on the global entry card.

Remember it is recommend to keep the card in the card holder it comes with and I just think it will be a nuisance.

I too would take your passport since to get the Global Entry card I am assuming you have a passport.

Keith

Hi,

Thank you!

A Global Entry Card is a preapproved trusted traveler program as you know. A passport can be purchased by people with criminal histories. Not the global entry. I only travel with my nexus and cross into the US from Canada continually by air and land. Have used it on my last cruise also. Since you have to have a passport bring it with you and it will quiet those that have no idea what a global entry card is. My nexus card is now according to DHS a global entry card as well. If you cruise to Mexico it is approved for there: Here is the list of countries and people who can get the Global Entry Card. Expedited travel to these countries with the Global Entry Card.

U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and citizens of a few other countries are eligible for Global Entry membership:

•Citizens of United Kingdom

•Citizens of Germany

•Citizens of the Netherlands

•Citizens of Panama

•Citizens of South Korea

•Mexican nationals

I would take my passport but I am in Puerto Rico at the moment and left my passport in the mainland. :(

Good reason not to use the passport:). If the card has a photo than it is a government issued photo ID and may be used in conjunction with a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise (heck, I've read that they take school ID's, so why not Global Entry?). We will likely leave our passports at home when we cruise and use our EDL's.

Good reason not to use the passport:). If the card has a photo than it is a government issued photo ID and may be used in conjunction with a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise (heck, I've read that they take school ID's, so why not Global Entry?). We will likely leave our passports at home when we cruise and use our EDL's.

What is the big deal about taking your passport. Why did you bother to get one if you do not plan to use it?

DON

What is the big deal about taking your passport. Why did you bother to get one if you do not plan to use it?

DON

The OP stated he is not home (where is passport is), but in Puerto Rico. That is why he is not taking the passport…

I use my GE card for my government-issued ID anytime I can. There is no PII on it, unlike a DL. Unfortunately, sometimes the people that our US Government hired off of pizza box ads (yes, true) to protect our security at airports and some ports have trouble with reading skills and cannot see that a GE card is on the list (that they have at their stations) is a valid ID… Never assume that the TSA smurf has an understanding of "valid government ID". Take BOTH GE and the DL; show the GE first - if they balk, bring out the DL.

DON

I got mine for international air travel and I have used it. I expect that I will be using it again for international air travel in 2017. I did not get it for closed loop cruises and it is safer from loss or theft if I leave it at home (an extension of the logic used by those who leave their passport in the cabin safe).