MDR Breakfast .. Stinks .. Why All The Love On Here ?

F27TW

Sometimes we will eat breakfast in the MDR on the last day if we want to avoid the crowds in the WJ, otherwise we avoid the MDR for breakfast as I don't think we've ever had a good breakfast in the MDR and have never understood the love for it.:D

I really like WJ for the egg station, have had some really good omelets & fried eggs. I also like the the speediness of breakfast. The coffee is not that great but only slightly better in the MDR.:D

We enjoyed the Park Café for egg mcmuffin like sandwiches on Serenade but the ones on Enchantment were blah.

Sherri:)

I prefer the MDR for breakfast over the crowded WJ. But I don´t order anything from the menu :D. I´m fine with the Bircher Musli on the small buffet they have in the MDR. And usually they do have much more cut fruit and berries there compared to the WJ. I usually get my strawberries and more there.

steamboats

I've always gotten hot omelets just the way I like them (eggbeaters, all the condiments, swiss cheese) in WJ. By day 3, the guy taking the order knows what I want!:)

Exactly! The last 3 cruises we have actually tipped the omelet guy/girl because the service was fantastic and they really do get to know what you want!

To each his own - we no longer go to the MDR for breakfast. I love me a WJ breakfast. :D

For breakfast? Can't you just walk in a request a table just for the number in your party?

on Liberty a few weeks ago, anyone who did that were bluntly told at least a 20 minute wait, or you could be seated immediately with others. for breakfast and lunch. only larger parties( at least 6) could be seated quickly by themselves.

when you consider it will take an hour minimum, and you get a small scoop of scrambled eggs and a smaller dollop of hash browns, and no one coming back with the pastry tray, we learned long ago to not bother.

now, we do Chops since we are in a suite. while the serving sizes there can be equally skimpy, we simply augment with self serve pastries and fruit.

People have mentioned Park, Solarium, and Wipe-Out Cafe for breakfast? I'm curious about all of them. Are any of these venues non-inclusive (i.e. you pay extra fees for meals)? Do they have extensive breakfast menus?

Park Cafe/Solarium is included. they have great sandwiches that they will toast/heat when you order. they also have pre packaged items and over by where the afternoon pick your own salad ingredients are they serve bagels and an assortment of toppings( lox, cream cheese, etc) some are egg whites, some are full egg. fruit cups, yoghurt, sometimes they even have oatmeal.

it was actually our favorite pace to hit if we were headed off the ship on a port day

Oasis and Allure ONLY also has breakfast in Johnny Rockets. I cannot comment on this at all as we have never sailed them.

Spookwife, is Chops complimentary with a Suite/Gold Card?

yes. the Liberty compass always listed a $10 charge for everyone else but we never saw anyone try and get in without a Gold card.

on Navigator, they DID turn away Diamond Plus more than once but that compass never listed the option of breakfast in chops for a fee at all.

Of all the lines I've been on RCI is consistently the weakest in breakfast. It just isn't even close. Even NCL's MDR easily surpasses RCI for breakfast.

As for the MDR- absolutely NCL for all meals is way better and no wait for a party of 2 ever!! Loved the Uptown grill option too!! Part buffet, part cooked to order. It was really good.

Royals WJ- far better then NCLs

I gave Royals breakfast a try twice, disliked it both times and this specialty breakfast for suites a try and always go back to my old favorite-the Jammer!!

If you provide or make me a good breakfast i am a very happy camper. We did not try the MDR on our first RC cruise [anthem] .We quickly learned to be the very first at the windjammer [its the cleanest it will be until the next day]. I put 5 pounds on and still going through bacon/sausage withdrawal :D. imho it beats a cunard breakfast. Shamelessly my wife took photos of my plate.............OH YEAH LIKE IT WAS MY FAULT THAT STUFF PILED ITSELF ON MY PLATE:D. i wanted to take bacon back to my room so i could later put it on my DOUBLE cheese burger:)

I cannot see, going back to Royal Caribbean, if the food is that bad, so why go back. You pay for service, and that is what I expect. Oh, well I will have my first experience, and if it is bad. Will not be back. Good sit down service or I am not coming back on Royal Caribbean.

I cannot see, going back to Royal Caribbean, if the food is that bad, so why go back. You pay for service, and that is what I expect. Oh, well I will have my first experience, and if it is bad. Will not be back. Good sit down service or I am not coming back on Royal Caribbean.

i agree. this was our first cruise with RC and they DID NOT win us over from cunard [10 or so cruise]. we do not regret going on the cruise

Guess I must be eating breakfast on some other ships. We've always enjoyed breakfast in the MDR. I suppose I'm just not as discriminating as the other posters...Or I'm just not awake enough.

Like you we must not be as 'discriminating as the other posters' when it comes to eating breakfast. I enjoy a few mornings without the rush in the WJ or the hassle of finding a table and I like being served. If I want more, I order more....or I order it all at once and not worry if I don't finish it.

When I was on Allure, did the Johnny Rockets breakfast, it was nice -- cute atmosphere for my 'diner food'. I would not rave about it.

I generally head up to the DL for my morning Latte and at any other time during the day when I want a coffee fix.

There are lots of choices for everyone and not every option is for all.

But I have never walked out of breakfast without being full.

Agree with Paulette and Janet. I enjoy breakfast in the MDR. Perhaps because I like the service and don't like to rush! I'm on vacation - time to relax! I usually order a cooked breakfast and then hit the buffet - great selection of fruit, breads, cereals, etc. I enjoy that as I wait for the cooked portion of my breakfast. Have found fruit to be better - more berries than in Windjammer.

Enjoy the food in other places such as Wipe Out, Park Cafe, etc. but often crowded and noisy, same with the Windjammer.

I don't understand people that think any buffet is good.

Stand in line.

Serve yourself.

Find a dirty table to sit at.

Get your own coffee.

Lots of noise.

Sorry, but I like to be served.

Then I guess it is fortunate that it doesn't really matter whether you understand me or not.

on sea days we like the mdr. No reason for us to rush. We have never had cold food. We have had a table for the 2 of us or sat at a large table. Sure, we have had some quiet meals, either due to the language barrier or other people having nothing in common with us. We have also had some times where we have had a very good time,lots of chatter and laughing.

We have also gone to the windjammer. Searching for a table, getting your own food and coffee. I don't mind that either. The egg station is great.

We kinda toss a coin in the morning, MDR or buffet. Normally we end up full and happy

I don't understand people that think any buffet is good.

Stand in line.

Serve yourself.

Find a dirty table to sit at.

Get your own coffee.

Lots of noise.

Sorry, but I like to be served.

See, it is very simple. First, don't stand in line, if a food station is busy, go to a different one. Take only the food that you like, not other stuff that they stick on your plate in the MDR. Order fresh, cooked to order eggs and then go get anything you want to have with your eggs as they are being cooked. Walk up to egg station as your number is being called. Take hot eggs and go to a clean table, if you prefer a dirty table, take that one instead. Say good morning to the waiter that is working your table and they will get you coffee and juice. If the waiter isn't around, there is usually an officer that will also be cruising by who will offer to get you anything you need. Noise happens in both the MDR and the WJ, so I choose to ignore it and enjoy conversation with my DH or ignore him too if he is grumpy.:eek::p

Really, very simple to understand. We prefer to be sitting with our hot meal, instead of waiting forever for eggs from a steamer tray in the MDR.

Based on what you have said (highlighted above) you will be having your first experience on Royal, so judge for yourself.

We have cruised plenty on Royal, and service has varied from cruise to cruise. But I can't say, I have had an overall terrible experience with dining -- whether in the MDR or WJ or a specialty restaurant. Nothing is perfect, for sure. But that can be said for any restaurant at home as well.

Agree with Paulette and Janet. I enjoy breakfast in the MDR. Perhaps because I like the service and don't like to rush! I'm on vacation - time to relax! I usually order a cooked breakfast and then hit the buffet - great selection of fruit, breads, cereals, etc. I enjoy that as I wait for the cooked portion of my breakfast. Have found fruit to be better - more berries than in Windjammer.

Enjoy the food in other places such as Wipe Out, Park Cafe, etc. but often crowded and noisy, same with the Windjammer.

I remember going to Wipe Out Cafe for breakfast on Allure...I can say that I did not really like....not the ambiance at all....at least with Johnny Rockets they are trying to imitate a diner (as the restaurants on land try to do). I felt as if The Wipe Out Cafe was trying to get me to feel as if I was on a beach in some shore town -- and I did not quite like it at all.