Steward carts in the halls.

masterty

Not going to let it bother me this time.

My last trip to Alaska and first Princess cruise I discovered an anomaly not experienced previously by me while traveling on other cruise lines. A lot had changed in 9 years of not cruising.

Carts in the hallways. Why? Now one could say, "how do you think your rooms get cleaned". Sure they need access to products and linens to clean. A cart might just be the best way to accomplish this. I am all for anything that makes my stewards life easier. I just do not know how the other lines I have cruised on hides them. Do others take it into the room they are cleaning? Do other lines use more people to expedite the time carts are needed in the halls? Do other lines have cart only alcoves that hide them from the passengers? I can only guess. I do know I found them horribly littered in every hallway I traveled in most every time I traveled in one.

Whatever the reason, I am not going to let the carts left in the halls bother me on my next Princess cruise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=372191&stc=1&d=1451513639

660414200_Alaska2014557.jpg.1ccff03de56ed19e58c2a7b2ea8aed33.jpg

The only time they bothered us was the disembarkation morning when we couldn't get thru with the rollator. One steward did suggest a route that would get us to where we needed to be even though it wasn't the most direct route.

The hallways on some lines are a bit wider, but still not enough for a wheelchair or walker + carts. Fortunately Princess has the HA cabins near the elevators--eliminates the problem most of the time.

Even though the carts do not bother me as they are not always in the same place any length of time, I do see where some might. I walk with a cane and use the hand rail for stability and wouldn't you know those carts like that hand rail too. You just learn to adjust and not let it bother you as there is fun ahead.

We certainly notice them and I think it's fair to say that it's not an attractive feature. But they aren't avoidable unless we choose another cruise line (like HAL, where we have never seen them). So, I think the OP has the right idea. We don't let them bother us, but we would still prefer that they weren't parked in the corridors for 9-10 hours every day.

Ditto trays of dirty dishes that people set in the hallways. Actually, those do kind of bother me.

Ditto trays of dirty dishes that people set in the hallways. Actually, those do kind of bother me.

And my last cruise on the Grand Princess, there were always (I mean always) dirty dishes out in the hallway. We would oftentimes ask room service to pick up our dishes from our room when they dropped off breakfast for us, usually taken care of without question. One guy did tell me that we needed to ask our room steward to do this. I had no idea -- we have always been told by our room steward that room service took care of this but honestly cannot remember on which line they told us that. It didn't bother me much at all, but very noticeable on this cruise whereas I don't think I have seen that so often on any other ship.

We certainly notice them and I think it's fair to say that it's not an attractive feature. But they aren't avoidable unless we choose another cruise line (like HAL, where we have never seen them). So, I think the OP has the right idea. We don't let them bother us, but we would still prefer that they weren't parked in the corridors for 9-10 hours every day.

Amen to the dishes in the hallway! If you have a mobility issue or if there are high seas, this can be cumbersome if not downright dangerous. I wish that Princess would include a little card on the tray that said something along the lines of "For the safety of our passengers and crew, please do not leave your used dishes and trays in the hallway. When you are finished, please call your room steward or room service for pick up. Thank you."

I wonder what the ratio of stewards to cabins is from ship to ship or line to line. This could be a leading cause to the amount of time cabin carts sit in the hallways. I also do not remember my princess steward introducing me the the assistant steward. Either the do not exist or my room steward just forgot. Ugh! Alright, I said it wasn't going to bother me....:D

I simply never remember the cabin carts or food trays in the hallways ever existing on any of my past cruises. Seems acceptable on Princess.

Edited by masterty

I'm surprised no one has ever considered that the threads like these .... could be actually started by princess , as an informal survey. And by jumping to defend 'what ever' issue is being debated .....May give princess the , positive feedback they WANT. I really don't have an opinion either way on carts in the hallway BUT these threads always seem odd to me, kinda like princess fishing for a...pat on the back.

I have to say I was grossed out this past cruise because the carts would be in the hall overflowing with soiled linens, and we'd have to squeeze by. This was made extra challenging by the rough seas pushing us back and forth! It was like playing Operation.

Maybe Stewart thinks the same thing when cleaning your cabin. ;)

I wonder what the ratio of stewards to cabins is from ship to ship or line to line. This could be a leading cause to the amount of time cabin carts sit in the hallways. I also do not remember my princess steward introducing me the the assistant steward. Either the do not exist or my room steward just forgot. Ugh! Alright, I said it wasn't going to bother me....:D

I simply never remember the cabin carts or food trays in the hallways ever existing on any of my past cruises. Seems acceptable on Princess.

Our experience is that there is about double the carts in the hallway on Princess compared to Celebrity. Why is this? Celebrity has a room steward and an assistant steward. I asked them how many rooms they maintain each day and they said 20 together. They both work off the same cart. So there is one cart for every 20 staterooms. Princess has only one steward per room but I failed to ask him how many rooms he maintained. I presume about 10. So on Princess there would be about one cart for every 10 staterooms.

I did see more food trays in the hallway on Princess than on Celebrity, which is rare. I think it might be a different culture or maybe it is our one cruise on Princess and it could be different on other itineraries and pax mix.

We don't let any of those things bother us. We enjoy both lines.

Edited by El Crucero

Amen to the dishes in the hallway! If you have a mobility issue or if there are high seas, this can be cumbersome if not downright dangerous. I wish that Princess would include a little card on the tray that said something along the lines of "For the safety of our passengers and crew, please do not leave your used dishes and trays in the hallway. When you are finished, please call your room steward or room service for pick up. Thank you."

I remember something to that effect, not the exact wording, asking us to leave the tray in the cabin on our last cruise. Maybe in the book with the room service menu? Not obvious unless you read everything in that section of the book. And, the only reason I noticed it was because of previous threads on CC about the room service trays and what you were suppose to do with them.

Even though the carts do not bother me as they are not always in the same place any length of time, I do see where some might. I walk with a cane and use the hand rail for stability and wouldn't you know those carts like that hand rail too. You just learn to adjust and not let it bother you as there is fun ahead.

That can be a problem and also trying to get the baby stroller past them. However, they aren't in the halls all day, so we deal.

A couple of weekends ago we had to walk past the maid's cart while working down the hallway of the hotel we'd stay at. And the hallway was just slightly wider than the ones on a cruise ship.

I imagine they're told (both in hotels and on ships) NOT to bring the carts into the room they're servicing.

Not going to let it bother me this time.

My last trip to Alaska and first Princess cruise I discovered an anomaly not experienced previously by me while traveling on other cruise lines. A lot had changed in 9 years of not cruising.

Carts in the hallways. Why? Now one could say, "how do you think your rooms get cleaned". Sure they need access to products and linens to clean. A cart might just be the best way to accomplish this. I am all for anything that makes my stewards life easier. I just do not know how the other lines I have cruised on hides them. Do others take it into the room they are cleaning? Do other lines use more people to expedite the time carts are needed in the halls? Do other lines have cart only alcoves that hide them from the passengers? I can only guess. I do know I found them horribly littered in every hallway I traveled in most every time I traveled in one.

Whatever the reason, I am not going to let the carts left in the halls bother me on my next Princess cruise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=372191&stc=1&d=1451513639

They are always in the halls when they are servicing the rooms.