Goodbye Lobster; Hello Meatloaf!

napunani

We cruised twice in 2015 with PRINCESS, in June onboard the Royal for the British Isles and December onboard the Emerald for the Southern Caribbean. We noticed significant cutbacks in the MDR menus in December compared to June. In June, we enjoyed lobster tails in the MDR on both formal nights. In December, even with Christmas as one of the formal nights, there was no lobster tail served in the MDR. We did find (and selected) lobster tail from the Crown Grill menu.

The MDR ALWAYS AVAILABLE menu has also changed and we can only attribute that to the Curtis Stone’s additions to the MDR menu. Caesar salad remains, but gone is the shrimp cocktail, grilled salmon, pan-seared chicken, beef filet medallions, tri-tip roast and the sirloin burger. Luckily, the dessert menu hasn’t changed (yet).

On both cruises, meatloaf was on the menu the last night…perhaps in attempt to return us to reality!

I finally decided to add my two cents worth to this thread. Until the Curtis Stone "additions" to the anytime menu [emoji45] Princess menus had been almost unchanged since late 2012. We have not been on a cruise longer than 15 days but on cruises of that length or shorter we have had only one menu that includes lobster, the Captain's Gala menu, that is typically served on the last formal night.

There have been different reports regarding the changes to the anytime menu. The shrimp cocktail appears to still be there but with a "Caribbean" sauce on those cruises. I'm sure you could get standard cocktail sauce. I shouldn't each tomato and I was able to order the shrimp cocktail with tartar sauce on our recent cruise. It does appear that at least the salmon, medallions and hamburger have been replaced buy Curtis Stone options.

Princess added the "Home-Style Cuisine" option to the menu at least 4-5 years ago and meat loaf has been that selection on last night menu since that option was added.

I can understand you frustration with the anytime changes, but I don't believe that your other comments are correct or that the changes were not recent but occurred at least four years ago.

Edited by IECalCruiser

...and in the early '60, I wore my bell bottoms with my beads and my powder blue Nehru Jacket.:cool: Now, 50+ years later, I wonder if they're making a comeback!?:eek: Fortunately I didn't keep any of that.

You will be sorry you gave up that outfit when Princess replaces formal nights with London Mod nights.

You will be sorry you gave up that outfit when Princess replaces formal nights with London Mod nights.

I think I'm willing to take that chance. Guess that was too many years ago, and certainly way! too many pounds ago!:D

Edited by Treven

Brian, didn't we have lobster twice on the 50th anniversary cruise, once with the prawns and once with the crab cake, on two of the formal nights? Or am I completely hallucinating? ;)
You are correct. That is the first time I saw that menu. I had checked copies of menus from a 15 day cruise a couple of years ago and that menu was not offered on that cruise. Looks like there might even be more lobster offered than several years ago.

The meatloaf being served on Princess is the most horrid looking thing I've ever seen. :eek: Maybe it tastes OK but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet since there are always better options.

It was not good on the Grand three weeks ago. I took one bite only. Weird after taste and odd colored bits throughout. Gravy was very underwhelming. Think care facility food. Sad!

I'm considering bringing MRE's on my next cruise!

Edited by MTJSR

Brian, didn't we have lobster twice on the 50th anniversary cruise, once with the prawns and once with the crab cake, on two of the formal nights? Or am I completely hallucinating? ;)

We were on the Caribbean Princess from Aug 29 to Nov 8th starting in Southampton going to Norway, Iceland, Scotland, Shetland Islands, Canada, also did the Bayonne Canada New England B2B on to Houston then on to Mexico. Finally disembarking in Houston. But we had lobster every formal night but always with either shrimp or a crab cake. Also had the 50th anniversary dinner once on each of our cruises except the last cruise which was only 4days. But the food was certainly adequate for us but we do anytime dining which is the same menu they serve in the MDR. Plus we go to the buffets and like the hamburger & hotdogs. Variety is the spice of life. We also enjoy the pub luncheons normally 2 times per cruise. And on our transatlantic they also served specialty pizzas a few days for lunch in the Italian restaurant. No extra charges for either. So we can not complain.

I read this all with great humor, but I do need to point out...

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are bugs of the sea. Most wallow in filth too.

If you were standing by a stinking dumpster and a 3' roach/spider/scorpion came out of the filth, you'd not first thing LET'S EAT right?

Why then the handing wringing lamentations for lobster?

Edited by Viesczy

We were on the Royal in September and had Lobster on two formal nights (out of three).

On the last night I ordered the meat loaf as a "what the heck" and found it to be quite good. Just another example of how subjective food really is....

I agree, we had lobster every FN and the meatloaf was better than my Mom's.....sorry Mom!

Personally I have the meat loaf on the last night of each cruise. It's not as good as what my wife makes, but I have no complaints about it. I normally ask the waiter for a double portion.

But as continuously pointed out food is always subjective and what one person likes another hates and vice versa. To each his/her own.

I read this all with great humor, but I do need to point out...

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are bugs of the sea. Most wallow in filth too.

If you were standing by a stinking dumpster and a 3' roach/spider/scorpion came out of the filth, you'd not first thing LET'S EAT right?

Why then the handing wringing lamentations for lobster?

The lamentations for lobster and other sea "bugs" are because they taste dee-lishus!! Most kitchens will wash them before cooking (chefs are funny that way).

Any filth they might have to live in was dropped from above-by ships, including cruise ships.

If I was standing beside a stinking dumpster I'd ask myself why and then move away, especially if a 3 foot roach popped his head up.

Norris, sea bug lover

The lamentations for lobster and other sea "bugs" are because they taste dee-lishus!! Most kitchens will wash them before cooking (chefs are funny that way).

Any filth they might have to live in was dropped from above-by ships, including cruise ships.

If I was standing beside a stinking dumpster I'd ask myself why and then move away, especially if a 3 foot roach popped his head up.

Norris, sea bug lover

Unless you are Andrew Zimmern.

But as continuously pointed out food is always subjective and what one person likes another hates and vice versa. To each his/her own.

Being educated in Chefs school, I'm pretty sure my palate is trained for seasoning, appeal and overall flavor balance. There is NO way anyone here would cook that exact recipe for guests at their home or go out on a Friday night and order it.

People here are so protective of Princess (the company that charges you thousands) that even marginal meatloaf gets defended.:eek::D

Being educated in Chefs school, I'm pretty sure my palate is trained for seasoning, appeal and overall flavor balance. There is NO way anyone here would cook that exact recipe for guests at their home or go out on a Friday night and order it.

People here are so protective of Princess (the company that charges you thousands) that even marginal meatloaf gets defended.:eek::D

Of course I haven't been educated in Chef's school and it is a well-known fact that my palate is not trained for seasoning, appeal and overall flavor balance on account of I am a tasteless hick. :p However, I question your logic here (being educated in graduate school with a brain trained for analysis of rhetoric and composition.) How does it follow that someone who professes (that's what I was trained to do, you see) to like Princess' meatloaf is automatically "so protective" of Princess? Is it not possible that someone so styled (by you) might, in fact, really like the meatloaf? Is it not possible that someone who hates Princess and all it stands for, now, in the past, and henceforth unto eternity, might taste the meatloaf (in a blind taste test, perhaps) and declare it tasty? One never knows what a tasteless hick might say. :p:rolleyes::mad: Sue me.

Edited by shredie

I'm sure it would be much more tempting to a palate trained for seasoning, appeal, and overall flavor balance if they put a bit of endive foam on it.

That's what they mean by "ignorance is bliss":D

I think you're right. EF is the ultimate pretentious veneer. :D

As a charter member of the "Association of Tasteless Hicks" I much prefer the tomato foam. I find that a bit of tabasco gives the tomato foam a certain herbal balance that is most pleasing to the palate.

People here are so protective of Princess (the company that charges you thousands)[/I] that even marginal meatloaf gets defended.:eek::D

Why shouldn't Princess charge us thousands of $$ for the service they provide?

Is Capitalism suddenly a bad thing?

If you had your own cruise line with 18 ships and a new one on the way and say 25,000 staff to pay every week how would your pricing model look?

I haven't ordered the meatloaf in 8 cruises and if everyone did likewise it would be taken off the menu. Obviously some do like it and that's their choice. It's not haute cuisine but were we all raised on Celebrity Chef menus?

Fish and chips is very popular in the Pub Lunches-not haute cuisine by any means but damned tasty which is the first thing many of us look for in food.I would defend their fish and chips even though I could get better in the UK on any High St. I don't sail on Princess expecting a gourmet meal. I get a satisfying, flavorful meal that I didn't have to cook or pay a la carte for.

If people are "protective of Princess" that's a bias born of satisfactory experiences with the line. PCL is far from perfect-that's obvious- but which service provider/Capitalist enterprise is? Nobody goes hungry on a Princess ship. Lobster is one of those "Market Price" foods, driven by supply and demand. Princess serves up small warm water Brazilian ones to save money as they have 3,000 people x 18 to feed while they try to keep the prices competitive with the other lines and make a profit so they can buy more ships etc.

We're all a long way from opening up a Princess menu and seeing just one entree before us- Meatloaf with endive foam.

Norris

Okay, I give up! After reading these posts, when we cruise next month, I am going to go out of my way and order the meatloaf one nite, just so this hick can see if she likes it. I must admit, I love meatloaf, but unfortunately, my mother didn't so she only made it a few times, and my husband doesn't like it, so I rarely get a chance. And puhleeze, I would much rather have fresh crab from the ocean than lobster any day. But then again, we are spoiled living on a salmon bearing river, and the ocean in the backyard, so to speak :p