Goodbye Lobster; Hello Meatloaf!

napunani

We cruised twice in 2015 with PRINCESS, in June onboard the Royal for the British Isles and December onboard the Emerald for the Southern Caribbean. We noticed significant cutbacks in the MDR menus in December compared to June. In June, we enjoyed lobster tails in the MDR on both formal nights. In December, even with Christmas as one of the formal nights, there was no lobster tail served in the MDR. We did find (and selected) lobster tail from the Crown Grill menu.

The MDR ALWAYS AVAILABLE menu has also changed and we can only attribute that to the Curtis Stone’s additions to the MDR menu. Caesar salad remains, but gone is the shrimp cocktail, grilled salmon, pan-seared chicken, beef filet medallions, tri-tip roast and the sirloin burger. Luckily, the dessert menu hasn’t changed (yet).

On both cruises, meatloaf was on the menu the last night…perhaps in attempt to return us to reality!

This is very curious because I was just looking at posted menus from someone on the Emerald at the moment (they blog daily), and the menu shows "available every evening" items included "pan-seared breast of chicken" and "Caribbean shrimp cocktail".

Meatloaf has been on the last night's menu for a number of years now. You might be right about it being a "returning to reality" item.

We had "Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail" on the CP in November. This is NOT like regular shrimp cocktail. Lobster at second formal night. The food was good' date=' but not amazing.[/quote']

Do you think you can get regular cocktail sauce if you ask? Did you try the Caribbean one, if so, what was it like? I've seen photos and am not impressed.

Do you think you can get regular cocktail sauce if you ask? Did you try the Caribbean one, if so, what was it like? I've seen photos and am not impressed.

Yes, you can get cocktail (or american as our waiter called it) sauce. We had lobster on one of the formal nights - just off the Emerald NYE cruise.

Just returned on the Crown Princess (4 day). So glad the Curtis Stone menu was not there. Did not expect Lobster on a short cruise. Last night is almost always "American" with meatloaf, turkey and Baked Alaska (no parade). Always available had the regular offerings.

We were on the Royal in September and had Lobster on two formal nights (out of three).

On the last night I ordered the meat loaf as a "what the heck" and found it to be quite good. Just another example of how subjective food really is....

We had a delicious dinner on formal night on our last cruise less than a month ago. They had lobster with prawns, both equally as fantastic as the other.

I do agree on the meatloaf, though...just yuk! I also have to laugh at the turkey dinner that is offered on the last night's menu. You know, inevitably, someone at our table orders it, though so must be something to it.

I will miss the daily salmon choice, though. I usually eat that whenever nothing else sounds very appealing. I am not adverse to eating at the buffet or the Trident Grill though if nothing peaks my interest in the main dining room.

Meatloaf is equivalent to hot dogs and PB&J sandwiches; not food adults should be served in the MDR. It's cheap meat loaded with even cheaper fillers. cost cutting to the max. But hey, the guy that has a tux in his avatar likes it :D

The meatloaf has been on the menu for YEARS. I guess you just noticed it. I like it s lot. On six cruises in 2015 including about 10 formal nights we had lobster every time except for the 50th anniversary menu. Maybe you had that menu one night?

I guess I like the meatloaf because I am a tasteless yokel and not a sainted foodie. Sue me.

Edited by shredie

The meatloaf being served on Princess is the most horrid looking thing I've ever seen. :eek: Maybe it tastes OK but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet since there are always better options.

Now that Curtis Stone is involved the meatloaf will be served with a ketchup foam :)

We had a delicious dinner on formal night on our last cruise less than a month ago. They had lobster with prawns, both equally as fantastic as the other.

I do agree on the meatloaf, though...just yuk! I also have to laugh at the turkey dinner that is offered on the last night's menu. You know, inevitably, someone at our table orders it, though so must be something to it.

I will miss the daily salmon choice, though. I usually eat that whenever nothing else sounds very appealing. I am not adverse to eating at the buffet or the Trident Grill though if nothing peaks my interest in the main dining room.

I think that turkey on the last night of a cruise is kind of a nautical tradition. It's been on every cruise that I've ever been on, from Princess to RCCL to Cunard. :)

We were just on Coral Princess in early December, the Curtis Stone items were there, Shrimp Cocktail was there every night, we had lobster on the last formal night and Baked Alaska and parade were done on our last night!

There was also Pan Seared Chicken and it was OK, kinda dry but OK!

It was our first time on Princess and we loved it, plan on going again soon!

I'm a big meatloaf fan. However, as much as I like it, I don't think I'd try something like that, prepared by a gallon of each ingredient, with 50# of meat, then "cooked to death".

I, too, have had some pretty good meatloaf in restaurants in the US.

Edited by Treven

On the Star Princess to Hawaii, the chef got really innovative and used hot dogs that didn't get used from the grill. They slid the hot dog down the center of the meat loaf in Horizon Court! I hate meat loaf and the hot dog down the center of it made me hate it even more.

P.S. I put meat loaf right up there with liver and onions. Gag me!

Edited by elliair

We were on the Emerald xmas cruise and I asked some management people about the turkey dinner on Christmas day and they told me it was a management decision to serve a complete turkey dinner instead of the lobster/prawns dinner for this cruise due to the holiday. In my opinon, it was a poor decision. We were very disappointed with many aspects of this cruise. I think it was some of the worst food we have had. The only saving thing for the cruise was the ports--Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco!! It will be awhile before we do another princess cruise.:eek:

We were on the Emerald xmas cruise and I asked some management people about the turkey dinner on Christmas day and they told me it was a management decision to serve a complete turkey dinner instead of the lobster/prawns dinner for this cruise due to the holiday. In my opinon, it was a poor decision. We were very disappointed with many aspects of this cruise. I think it was some of the worst food we have had. The only saving thing for the cruise was the ports--Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco!! It will be awhile before we do another princess cruise.:eek:

Really? Because turkey was on the menu? :(