Goodbye Lobster; Hello Meatloaf!

napunani

If the Curtis Stone selections are so bad on the MDR menu, how do they plan on getting passengers to pay $39 pp in the specialty restaurant Share?

It appears to me that the Curtis Stone offerings are a way of cutting back on more expensive always available choices and replacing them with a Celebrity Chef endorsed option that is equal to a Denny's experience. Those who are impressed with designer names may be fooled but beans are beans no matter who's signature recipe it is.

If the Curtis Stone selections are so bad on the MDR menu, how do they plan on getting passengers to pay $39 pp in the specialty restaurant Share?

It appears to me that the Curtis Stone offerings are a way of cutting back on more expensive always available choices and replacing them with a Celebrity Chef endorsed option that is equal to a Denny's experience. Those who are impressed with designer names may be fooled but beans are beans no matter who's signature recipe it is.

They replace medallions with flank steak (and then there are the "beef cheeks" I've heard about.) Chicken pot pie, where they don't need to use much chicken and can use the darker cuts of meat. Pork belly instead of pork loin. I think they may cover the lobster in SHARE with that silly endive foam in order to disguise the small size of it. If recent reports are telling us anything, it sounds like the restaurant is begging for takers. They just might have to reduce the price to fill the place. The whole enterprise was not well-thought out, IMO, but that's Princess for you. BTW, I would rather eat at Denney's than eat curried plantains and cauliflower. ;)

They replace medallions with flank steak (and then there are the "beef cheeks" I've heard about.) Chicken pot pie, where they don't need to use much chicken and can use the darker cuts of meat. Pork belly instead of pork loin. I think they may cover the lobster in SHARE with that silly endive foam in order to disguise the small size of it. If recent reports are telling us anything, it sounds like the restaurant is begging for takers. They just might have to reduce the price to fill the place. The whole enterprise was not well-thought out, IMO, but that's Princess for you. BTW, I would rather eat at Denney's than eat curried plantains and cauliflower. ;)

Obviously, your palate is insufficiently sophisticated to appreciate the culinary experience offered by Curtis Stone. Save me a seat at Denny's.

All this talk about meatloaf made me hungry for it. So we're having it today. If the meatloaf on the Princess ships is half as good as my wife's than we would like the meatloaf being served on Princess. We both grew up being poor and still like meatloaf.

Same here. We love good meat loaf. If you are travelling and want good meat loaf, you can depend on finding it at a Cracker Barrel.

For us the turkey dinner on the last night of the cruise is part of the end of cruise tradition. Packing for disembarkation, checking with the purser to go over the account, being sure we have clothes in which we can walk off the ship, Tom turkey dinner in MDR all signal the cruise is over. 😥

For us the turkey dinner on the last night of the cruise is part of the end of cruise tradition. Packing for disembarkation, checking with the purser to go over the account, being sure we have clothes in which we can walk off the ship, Tom turkey dinner in MDR all signal the cruise is over. [emoji26]

Do they still call the last nights menu Land Ho? I think the menu is designed to slap us back in to reality of what we will be eating until the next cruise. The worst part being we have to shop for the food and cook it.

When it comes down to it, I don't really care what is on the menu, as long as it is prepared well, with quality ingredients, served at the right temp.

Understanding that budget is a concern, I'd much rather have good meatloaf than poor quality lobster, given the choice.

We care a lot about what is on the menu and how it is prepared. We don't eat any butter or cheeses or sauces. We typically eat fish, veal chops, short ribs, surf & turf prepared simply with a salad, plus ice cream for dessert.

We did Crown Grill has night with Chilean Sea bass... great way to end a 10 day cruise.

First night it is hard to find a choice, my dh had the hamburger, I did a pasta dish with chicken... the worst night of the 10... rest we special order with the Mat'red Princess does a good job of working with passenger dietary needs.

When it comes down to it, I don't really care what is on the menu, as long as it is prepared well, with quality ingredients, served at the right temp.

Understanding that budget is a concern, I'd much rather have good meatloaf than poor quality lobster, given the choice.

Trouble is, the meatloaf on Princess doesn't qualify as "good." at least to many of us. They do serve excellent burgers though. I'll give them that.

I hasten to add I am usually pleased with something on the menu virtually every night. It isn't haute cuisine, but it's decent, a waaay better than the food served on other mid-priced lines we have cruised with.

The whole enterprise was not well-thought out, IMO, but that's Princess for you. BTW, I would rather eat at Denney's than eat curried plantains and cauliflower. ;)

There's always fondue night in the lido if you remember to

pack your leisure suit and go-go boots.

(please, don't wear together)

Trouble is, the meatloaf on Princess doesn't qualify as "good." at least to many of us. They do serve excellent burgers though. I'll give them that.

I hasten to add I am usually pleased with something on the menu virtually every night. It isn't haute cuisine, but it's decent, a waaay better than the food served on other mid-priced lines we have cruised with.

The meat loaf may not be "good," but the lobster isn't even "lobster." Not by Maine standards anyway. So it doesn't matter how you cook it.

Well, there you go, another example of the subjective nature of food. I don't like the Princess burgers. (I'm spoiled by In-N-Out.) I'll get a hot dog at Trident Grill. I'm curious, have you actually tried the meatloaf? (I guess I'm becoming the meatloaf cheerleader around here. LOL.) :D Now, where did I put those go-go boots?

Well, there you go, another example of the subjective nature of food. I don't like the Princess burgers. (I'm spoiled by In-N-Out.) I'll get a hot dog at Trident Grill. I'm curious, have you actually tried the meatloaf? (I guess I'm becoming the meatloaf cheerleader around here. LOL.) :D Now, where did I put those go-go boots?

They're next to my high heels.

They should be right next to your platform shoes.

...and in the early '60, I wore my bell bottoms with my beads and my powder blue Nehru Jacket.:cool: Now, 50+ years later, I wonder if they're making a comeback!?:eek: Fortunately I didn't keep any of that.

Edited by Treven