Goodbye Lobster; Hello Meatloaf!

napunani

Meatloaf is equivalent to hot dogs and PB&J sandwiches; not food adults should be served in the MDR. It's cheap meat loaded with even cheaper fillers. cost cutting to the max. But hey, the guy that has a tux in his avatar likes it :D

I was surprised too...Go figure!:D

As for foods that should be served to adults, it is on their "homestyle" menu. As for food being served in the MDR, As I understand it, the menu covers a lot of bases. It is not just fancy cuisine. They have a variety of selections to suit many tastes and it was on the last night menu, which is a little less formal.

Edited by AKman2495

We were on the Emerald xmas cruise and I asked some management people about the turkey dinner on Christmas day and they told me it was a management decision to serve a complete turkey dinner instead of the lobster/prawns dinner for this cruise due to the holiday. In my opinon, it was a poor decision. We were very disappointed with many aspects of this cruise. I think it was some of the worst food we have had. The only saving thing for the cruise was the ports--Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco!! It will be awhile before we do another princess cruise.:eek:

Considering what their lobster tastes like a turkey dinner would be a welcomed change.;)

If I was on a cruise ship on Christmas Day, I would expect a full turkey dinner served, if not Christmas Eve.

I think most people (well, Americans and Canadians, especially) would want a turkey dinner on Christmas. It's not the same as any other formal night, really.

Not into fancy dancy food but three foods I do not want to eat (whether or a cruise or not) are meatloaf, turkey, and lobster (the last because of my allergy to shellfish). Don't care if they're on the menu or not as long as there's decent alternative (in the past I would order the herb chicken that was on the always available menu -- I'm guessing a different version of chicken is now on that side of the menu).

I would like to see all the Curtis Stone stuff gone and the old every night choices brought back. I have so many food restrictions they won't serve me the meatloaf. But years ago when I could eat it, it was good. For the second formal night in December I had a delicious peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich while most of the others had lobster.

I didn't like meatLoaf when my mother made it and she is a good cook. But no one cooks better then there own mother!!! Hi ma ❤️ you. Someone said they had a peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich this may be very good?? I am going to try it tomorrow.

Tony

I think most people (well, Americans and Canadians, especially) would want a turkey dinner on Christmas. It's not the same as any other formal night, really.

Turkey dinner was served at Thanksgiving growing up and prime rib with Yorkshire puddding was served on Christmas. Born and raised in New England. I'm fine with beef or lobster on a cruise on Christmas, no to turkey with or without foamed gravy ;)

I didn't like meatLoaf when my mother made it and she is a good cook. But no one cooks better then there own mother!!! Hi ma ❤️ you. Someone said they had a peanut butter and orange marmalade sandwich this may be very good?? I am going to try it tomorrow.

Tony

What's not to love about orange marmalade with or without peanut butter. :)

Edited by waltd

I have a hard time understanding the whole meatloaf, mac and cheese, etc. type of deal. I guess for people who didn't grow up poor it might be something different. I prefer not to eat things that I had to eat when I was young. Going to the store with my mom and seeing all the different foods available and that others were buying I always wondered what it would be like to have a steak or some other "extravagant" thing like that. I will be perfectly happy if I never eat meatloaf again in my life.

As for the lobster... Princess serves what looks like a "giant crawdad tail" rather than what looks like a lobster tail! Even in my short cruising career (first cruise in late 2011) I have seen the size diminish amazingly. It wasn't all that large to begin with but two of them was a pretty decent portion. These days it would take 4 or 5 to make that size serving. I found that to be the case in MDR and also in Crown Grill. I really like good lobster but what I get on Princess is really mediocre. I have actually never had what Pam in CA would call good lobster. I've never been back east where that lobster is normally served but, even with my lack of spiffy lobster knowledge I have still had vastly better lobster than I have had on any of my cruises. Heck, I've made better lobster at home and it was previously frozen and purchased from Safeway! Having said that, I would still order the lobster over meatloaf. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thrak

Tony

My mother was a crappy cook. I learned to cook on my own and I'm vastly superior to my mother as a cook!

As for peanut butter and orange marmalade... GOOD STUFF! :D

My mother was a crappy cook. I learned to cook on my own and I'm vastly superior to my mother as a cook!

As for peanut butter and orange marmalade... GOOD STUFF! :D

Your mother is going to kill you. LOL :D :D

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

I have a hard time understanding the whole meatloaf, mac and cheese, etc. type of deal. I guess for people who didn't grow up poor it might be something different. I prefer not to eat things that I had to eat when I was young. Going to the store with my mom and seeing all the different foods available and that others were buying I always wondered what it would be like to have a steak or some other "extravagant" thing like that. I will be perfectly happy if I never eat meatloaf again in my life.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that different people like different things. I grew up not-rich, and I like good old comfort food like mac and cheese and meatloaf. That's why they call it "comfort food," you know. :p I'm going to eat it even if you have a "hard time understanding it." I didn't taste a steak or a lobster until I was long an adult, so don't think all the other kids were eating gourmet every night.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that different people like different things. I grew up not-rich, and I like good old comfort food like mac and cheese and meatloaf. That's why they call it "comfort food," you know. [emoji14] I'm going to eat it even if you have a "hard time understanding it." I didn't taste a steak or a lobster until I was long an adult, so don't think all the other kids were eating gourmet every night.

It's my guess your mother was a better cook than mine. ;-)

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

We were on the Royal over Christmas. Lobster was served on the second formal night, Turkey on Christmas day.

I didn't try the meatloaf. I try to avoid American comfort and regional specialties. European chefs just don't "get" Americana.

Cracker Barrel has better meatloaf. The "North Carolina BBQ" and "Texas Chili" served by princess don't begin to measure up.

And don't get me started on the "Country Ham" served for breakfast in the main dining room. It's a decent slice of grilled ham, but calling it "Country Ham" is no more accurate than calling it "parma ham" and serving it as an appetizer.

If they are going to serve this stuff they should learn to cook it properly. Maybe the Cracker Barrel chefs could be brought in for a continuing ed seminar for Princess chefs.

We have always been offered lobster on the second formal night including our cruise three months ago. The lobsters though are small but tasty. They certainly do not measure up to what we got in Boston but then they were fresh cooked just before we ate them. On our last cruise three months ago, the Canada/New England cruise, at one port in Canada we had fresh lobster. It was a 1 pound fresh lobster cooked when we ordered it and it was absolutely delicious. As for meat loaf, yes I had it as a child growing up in the Midwest almost every week. I don't eat it any more probably because I was a bit sick of it and there are better things to eat these days. My mother was a good cook but only prepared Midwestern type food which is bland. On the ship I do order the lobster when it is offered.

Elvis loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches!