Goodbye Lobster; Hello Meatloaf!

napunani

We cruised twice in 2015 with PRINCESS, in June onboard the Royal for the British Isles and December onboard the Emerald for the Southern Caribbean. We noticed significant cutbacks in the MDR menus in December compared to June. In June, we enjoyed lobster tails in the MDR on both formal nights. In December, even with Christmas as one of the formal nights, there was no lobster tail served in the MDR. We did find (and selected) lobster tail from the Crown Grill menu.

The MDR ALWAYS AVAILABLE menu has also changed and we can only attribute that to the Curtis Stone’s additions to the MDR menu. Caesar salad remains, but gone is the shrimp cocktail, grilled salmon, pan-seared chicken, beef filet medallions, tri-tip roast and the sirloin burger. Luckily, the dessert menu hasn’t changed (yet).

On both cruises, meatloaf was on the menu the last night…perhaps in attempt to return us to reality!

Just got off the Crown yesterday. Shrimp cocktail, and all the other always available options you mentioned were definitely on the menu. My nephew ordered the shrimp cocktail twice, and the salmon the first night. In fact, the quality and taste of food on this cruise was better than we have had before. Even the bacon at the buffet the last morning actually tasted like bacon and didn't have that weird after flavor.

IMHO The turkey dinner I got 12/25/2015 on the Emerald Princess was not as good as a Swanson turkey TV dinner. It was a joke.

framer

The last time we were on the Star, one of our table mates ordered the turkey dinner ..... the waiter asked how she wanted that cooked. I have never been able to order it since then. LOL

On the Regal in December, the only meal that everyone at our table of 8 thoroughly enjoyed was the lobster on the last formal night. (We all grew up in the northeast and have been eating lobster most of our lives.) Fresh-tasting and succulent, it was the best meal of what I considered mostly mediocre meals on the other 6 nights.

Only mediocre? Are you sure it was on a Princess ship?

Cracker Barrel in general is disgusting. :(

So very true. We have one a few miles from our house. For awhile I met with a number of male friends for breakfast there every week. They had breakfast and I had iced tea. They were not able to mess up the tea! The food always looked repulsive. However people love the food as they are crowded at meal times when I pass there. Someone loves them I guess. :rolleyes:

Back to meatloaf for a moment....:D

A couple of cruises ago we went to the dining room when we boarded. We wanted to look at the menu for that night. Meatloaf was on the menu. I knew they had not changed it from the night before but a fellow looking at the menu beside us was LIVID! He declared, over and over, "Prime Rib is first night"! It's now in our cruise vocabulary starting about a week before the next cruise.

But, seriously, you know how the waiter always comes around and uses that little tool (a real tool, not calling his asst a bad name) to sweep up the bread crumbs? Think about it? All week they collect those crumbs and the last night they serve us meatloaf........ just sayin'...........

Back to meatloaf for a moment....:D

A couple of cruises ago we went to the dining room when we boarded. We wanted to look at the menu for that night. Meatloaf was on the menu. I knew they had not changed it from the night before but a fellow looking at the menu beside us was LIVID! He declared, over and over, "Prime Rib is first night"! It's now in our cruise vocabulary starting about a week before the next cruise.

But, seriously, you know how the waiter always comes around and uses that little tool (a real tool, not calling his asst a bad name) to sweep up the bread crumbs? Think about it? All week they collect those crumbs and the last night they serve us meatloaf........ just sayin'...........[/QUOTE]

Our waiter said it was for the bread pudding!

All this talk about meatloaf made me hungry for it. So we're having it today. If the meatloaf on the Princess ships is half as good as my wife's than we would like the meatloaf being served on Princess. We both grew up being poor and still like meatloaf.

All this talk about meatloaf made me hungry for it. So we're having it today. If the meatloaf on the Princess ships is half as good as my wife's than we would like the meatloaf being served on Princess. We both grew up being poor and still like meatloaf.

Welcome to the non-foodie hick club. :D You know, I hate to sound like the Curtis Stone groupies here, but you shouldn't really knock it if you haven't tried it. ;) Of course, if you just don't like meatloaf in general, no one will force you to eat it. Just like all the other "Homestyle" items on the MDR menu, it doesn't appear every day. (My SIL just had the fried chicken and said it was good.)

Welcome to the non-foodie hick club. :D You know, I hate to sound like the Curtis Stone groupies here, but you shouldn't really knock it if you haven't tried it. ;) Of course, if you just don't like meatloaf in general, no one will force you to eat it. Just like all the other "Homestyle" items on the MDR menu, it doesn't appear every day. (My SIL just had the fried chicken and said it was good.)

I like meatloaf as long as they don't ruin it with green peppers. I hate green peppers.

I think most people (well, Americans and Canadians, especially) would want a turkey dinner on Christmas. It's not the same as any other formal night, really.

no turkey for me even on Thanksgiving!! Prime rib or beef tenderloin please

Where did I say in my post I was knocking or wouldn't ever try the Curtis Stone meatloaf on Princess or I didn't like meatloaf at all ?! Possible you misread my post. You may want to reread my post.

Edited by davekathy

Where did I say in my post I was knocking or wouldn't ever try the Curtis Stone meatloaf on Princess or I didn't like meatloaf at all ?! Possible you misread my post. You may want to reread my post.

I know you said you liked the meatloaf (which is why I welcomed you to the club.) My comment was to those who have been poking fun at it. You may want to reread my post. (And as far as I know, there is no Curtis Stone meatloaf, thank goodness.)

Edited by shredie

I know you said you liked the meatloaf (which is why I welcomed you to the club.) My comment was to those who have been poking fun at it. You may want to reread my post. (And as far as I know, there is no Curtis Stone meatloaf, thank goodness.)

Good I'm glad you agree with me.

I have eaten the meatloaf and it was good. I'm not sure that I will like the changes in the MDR due to Curtis Stone menu changes. But that will not stop me from sailing Princess and enjoying my MDR meals.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

I’m signed up for my 15th and 16th Princess cruises for Feb 2016. Reading about the menu changes has made me very hesitant about going. Removing the anytime salmon and some of the other changes might be a deal breaker for me sailing Princess again. Oh well, I am going on these two cruises and I will carefully examine the food offerings. If the food goes way downhill then Princess will join my “do not cruise list” like NCL.