More changes to Bistro on 5?

NCNina

My husband is a big Sushi snob and knows good sushi and bad sushi. We sailed on the Carnival Breeze one year and they have Jade, a sushi restaurant. It was one of the highlights of our dining experiences. It was "quality" sushi. I believe if Celebrity is going to change Bistro on 5 over to sushi, it will be nothing but quality. Why would they expect their passengers to pay an additional fee for mediocre sushi when you can get that in the buffet.

Well! I'VE heard (from a wholly unreliable source) that, on Elegant Chic nights, it will be magically transformed into a den of iniquity with ALL manner of illicit substances on offer! There'll be elegant chics for all (Premium Package required) and those in suites can request one be sent discreetly to their room! Designer Jean labels will be inspected for authenticity prior to entry - passengers in knock-offs will be turned away and asked to report to the maitre d' in Blu. The first 50 customers each evening will receive lip balm.

Love it. :D

Based on the overwhelming positive feedback of using Bistro on 5 from suite guests who choose to dine on board when the ship is in port when Luminae isn't open, Bistro on 5 will be fully dedicated to suite passengers. The new format will have small tables with an additional chair next to each table so that their personal butler can sit, waiting to handle any requests, just in case the bistro staff is busy. The new slogan for the restaurant will be "no wait while you gain weight"

Celebrity's new advertising campaign will feature the new Bistro on 5 and maitre d's will be selected from all those employees on board name Marco. Each meal will be prepared tableside from the freshest ingredients...in fact fish will be brought to the table live and cleaned in front of your eyes prior to cooking. But wait, there's more. For those desiring an egg dish, a hen will be brought to the table to lay your personal eggs. Celebrity...modern luxury.....Polo.

Excellent, Can't Weight, I mean Wait.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a sushi fan and really enjoy Bistro on Five. To me it makes more sense to add sushi to the porch menu as it is now geared to seafood. On my last Silly cruise in January, the porch was almost empty most of the day with the new menu, perhaps the sushi at this venue makes more sense.

Based on the overwhelming positive feedback of using Bistro on 5 from suite guests who choose to dine on board when the ship is in port when Luminae isn't open, Bistro on 5 will be fully dedicated to suite passengers. The new format will have small tables with an additional chair next to each table so that their personal butler can sit, waiting to handle any requests, just in case the bistro staff is busy. The new slogan for the restaurant will be "no wait while you gain weight"

Celebrity's new advertising campaign will feature the new Bistro on 5 and maitre d's will be selected from all those employees on board name Marco. Each meal will be prepared tableside from the freshest ingredients...in fact fish will be brought to the table live and cleaned in front of your eyes prior to cooking. But wait, there's more. For those desiring an egg dish, a hen will be brought to the table to lay your personal eggs. Celebrity...modern luxury.....Polo.

Surely this cannot be correct! We understand they will only use Ostrich or Emu eggs and both birds will be housed in Michael's.

Hank

Just off 2 weeks on Summit. I never saw anyone in Bistro on 5. I was on the Silhouette in Oct. I also never saw anyone in Bistro and very few people in the Porch. Obviously, Bistro and Porch are not working. I ate a few times at Bistro when it first was introduced. It was okay. At $5 it was a good place to grab a snack at night. At $10, it didn't attract me. Sushi in the Buffet is nice. I wouldn't pay extra for it. Pizza on a cruise ship? Maybe someday it will be good. So far, I avoid pizza on any ship. The only decent pizza was on the Galaxy.

Absolutely. While I love pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven, it's not the only way to make great pizza. Many restaurants have gas or electric ovens - as long as you can get them hot enough, you can make great pizza. Great pizza also requires GREAT crust, which is something Celebrity has a real problem with (in my experience, ALL of the breads on X are terrible). High hydration, adequate fermentation time to develop flavor, etc. Then obviously you need excellent toppings/sauce, but that is much easier to get right than the dough/cooking equation. I absolutely think it can be done on a ship, but who knows if X would be willing to invest the time and attention it would take?

What's this have to do with Bistro on Five? Stay on topic or start a new post.

I don't know of any country that has experienced an inflation rate of 100% in the past two years.

Bistro on 5 was never free. There has always been a cover charge. The only difference now is you're paying double for a reduced menu.

As for pricing people out, if that was their goal they certainly achieved it. On our most recent cruise the place was always empty.

Bistro on 5 WAS technically free until it opened. When we booked our first Solstice cruise, it was advertised as a free venue, but was changed to $5 after final payment. Certainly not something I would cancel over, but I thought at the time that Celebrity should have honored some aspect of "free" for those who had booked and or paid before the change.

We still find our way there once each cruise, but won't particularly miss it. Overall, we have no complaints with the food quality onboard.

I am not a sushi fan and really enjoy Bistro on Five. To me it makes more sense to add sushi to the porch menu as it is now geared to seafood. On my last Silly cruise in January, the porch was almost empty most of the day with the new menu, perhaps the sushi at this venue makes more sense.

I have to agree 100% . Sushi doesn't need a restaurant of it's own and the Porch could use some more bait to lure customers in.

Bistro on 5 serves great food. Those crepes!!

Norris

I have to agree 100% . Sushi doesn't need a restaurant of it's own and the Porch could use some more bait to lure customers in.

Norris

oh my head hurts :confused: Every time I've eaten there, I've been served re-heated crepes. Now, I love crepes when they are freshly made and right off the crepe maker....but re-heated....nada.

oh my head hurts :confused: Every time I've eaten there, I've been served re-heated crepes. Now, I love crepes when they are freshly made and right off the crepe maker....but re-heated....nada.

I haven't had one of those re heated ones. We watched her make it. Fresh.

Norris

Most fish used to make sushi and sashimi is flash frozen - even in Japan. :rolleyes:

Quite correct, sashimi grade fish must be frozen at very specific temps for a very specific amount of time so don't kid yourself, sushi is rarely made with "fresh" (as in not frozen" fish.:cool:

AMEN!! Not everyone in the world like fish!! I hate it cooked, so there is absolutely no way I would put that nastiness into my mouth raw. Having read about how nice this place was on embarkation day I was looking forward to it. But if it is sushi it will be a skip. Ditto the Porch as it is fish also.

AMEN!! Not everyone in the world like fish!! I hate it cooked, so there is absolutely no way I would put that nastiness into my mouth raw. Having read about how nice this place was on embarkation day I was looking forward to it. But if it is sushi it will be a skip. Ditto the Porch as it is fish also.

I actually dislike cooked fish, but I enjoy all types of sushi. Different strokes....

I was intrigued by the poster who suggested replacing Bistro with an upscale pizzeria. A small up-charge for good quality (gourmet) pizza, sandwiches, and salads. :cool:

My question to all of you pizza aficionados is this: Is it feasible to put in a restaurant-quality pizza oven on a cruise ship (where safety restrictions prohibit anything wood-fired)? :confused:

All I know is that, in 14 years of cruising on X and RC, I have yet to run across a decent slice of pizza -- deep dish or thin crust. :eek:

The lawn grill on the silly and reflection serve an excellent fresh individual thin crust pizza

Norris

Bait...nice pun!

adding sushi to Porch would make sense,,..keep all the fishies in one spot...

The new Bistro menu was a good start in the right direction but that direction may change.,...staff on EQ in early Jan had no info about any new new menu

Huh? Last time we sailed on X (April 2014) Bistro was only $5 pp and did increase to $7 pp after our last cruise. Didn't even realize price had gone up to $10 and now they want $15? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sounds like X should change their slogan to Modern Price Gouging

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me