Flying with Glass Bottles

travelnteach64

So I need some help from all the veteran cruisers. I know nothing about flying with glass bottles. This is the silly part. We fly into Houston at 8:15pm the night before our cruise. We have a 10am pick up at our hotel the next morning to head to the port, going on a shuttle, not a private driver.

I did a bit of research, there is no way I will be able to grab wine before heading to the port because of the hours of the liquor laws.

So how do I fly with wine pre-cruise? Special paperwork? We are flying from Milwaukee to Houston non-stop. What is the safest way to keep it from breaking....of course bag it up. Any other tricks?

We've never flown with our wine, always bought it when we arrived to the area. If it were me though, I would probably put it in some sort of zippered bag just in case it did break it wouldn't leak. Then maybe wrap it in bubble wrap and then make sure it is tucked in between clothes as extra padding. Good luck!

When I fly home from a cruise with alcohol, I wrap each bottle in a couple of sheets of bubble wrap (yes, I pack bubble wrap for cruises), stick it in a gallon sized ziplock bag (I don't buy large bottles - you'd need to find something larger for a bottle of wine, but sealable is the key), and then strategically place it as close to the center of the suitcase as possible, surrounded by clothing for an extra buffer. So far, so good.

Edited by agp_mzk

looks like there are some stores that sell alcohol until 10:00pm or 11:00pm. I am not sure if they are close to where you will be but maybe check that out.

or try the airport in Houston before 9:00pm. they might have a liquor store

Edited by hftmrock

I'd use the Thicker type bubble wrap.....if you go to your neighborhood box store they should have it in all diff thicknesses

Plus then put it in a large ziplock and cushion it all around

We've flown with wine and also booze back home with no problems or breakage

So I need some help from all the veteran cruisers. I know nothing about flying with glass bottles. This is the silly part. We fly into Houston at 8:15pm the night before our cruise. We have a 10am pick up at our hotel the next morning to head to the port, going on a shuttle, not a private driver.

I did a bit of research, there is no way I will be able to grab wine before heading to the port because of the hours of the liquor laws.

So how do I fly with wine pre-cruise? Special paperwork? We are flying from Milwaukee to Houston non-stop. What is the safest way to keep it from breaking....of course bag it up. Any other tricks?

Not an answer to your question, but some information. While liquor stores close at 9:00 p.m. and do not open again until 10:00 a.m., Wine is available until 12:00 midnight and may be purchased starting at 7:00 a.m. (Except for Sundays, when you can't buy wine until noon) at grocery stores and convenience stores. So, depending on your hotel, you could find wine nearby. Many grocery stores in Houston have an okay wine selection. So, it's doable, just not easy with no car.

I try not to check a bag so I've shipped wine to my hotel so that I didn't have to worry about checking it or the wine breaking in my bag. Just give the hotel a head's up that a package will be arriving prior to your check-in and mark "ATTN: Hotel Guest: Your Name" on the box and you'll be set!

Buy a wine travel container, but the whole thing in a large plastic bag and stick it in a suitcase that you check.

Unless you get free luggage, if this means you have to take an extra bag, or go over on weight, it is probably not worth the effort it takes to bring it along.

There's a bubble wrap container that seals that's especially for flying with wine. I found mine at a wine store but I've also seen them at some grocery stores. I normally wrap more bubble wrap around that and put it in the suitcase in the middle so that it is cushioned around it. I've never had a problem. Brought bottles of wine from Italy that way.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Honestly, unless you are bringing some premium wine then I would just not worry about packing it. The potential dollar savings on a bottle of wine bought on board is not worth the risk of a bottle of wine possibly breaking in your suitcase.

Yes, you CAN bring it in checked luggage but it will be a bit of a pain.

Agree with previous posters regarding bubble wrap and ziplock bags. Wine may put you overweight though so consider not bringing - savings might not be worth it.

Have packed the cardboard/plastic bottles successfully and taken on board. Then transferred to hand luggage to save a trip to the naughty room when boarding. Referring to the bottle-sized bandits (brand name) not the big boxes. Didn't have baggage restrictions so didn't worry about weight.

I don't think it is worth the hassle trying to pack a bottle of wine or two. If I can't buy some wine near my hotel or the port, I just buy it on the ship. I have seen two many bags leaking at baggage claim.

Also, be careful with the weight. If you exceed your airline's limit, the excess baggage charge will likely be more than your savings.

On some ships wine MUST be in your carry-on. When I was taking a bottle in my carry-on, the custom agent inspected it to make sure it was unopened and had nothing but wine in the bottle- not alcohol. A friend didn't know this, had it in her suitcase, and it was taken out and returned the last night.

WE don't fly but I'd put in in my carry on to carry onto the plane, have you ever seen the way they toss bags around?

http://www.totalwine.com/accessories-more/accessories/wine-storage-transport/travel-totes/vingardevalise/p/142098920?s=921&igrules=true

VinGardeValise

This durable carrier will hold up to twelve 750ml bottles, and weighs less than 43 pounds when fully packed. Features 4 spinner wheels for easy handling. Conforms to all applicable TSA, FAA, and airline luggage standards.The VinGarde Valise - the safest way to travel with your wine!

$ 269.99

On some ships wine MUST be in your carry-on. When I was taking a bottle in my carry-on, the custom agent inspected it to make sure it was unopened and had nothing but wine in the bottle- not alcohol. A friend didn't know this, had it in her suitcase, and it was taken out and returned the last night.

WE don't fly but I'd put in in my carry on to carry onto the plane, have you ever seen the way they toss bags around?

That won't "fly" ..... so to speak!!! Since it exceeds the 3.4 oz limit to containers of liquids imposed by the TSA, and it won't fit into that 1 quart ziplock bag of liquids allowed by the TSA, it cannot go in your carry-aboard luggage on the plane!!!

Edited by flamomo

Since you are staying in Houston I take it you are probably sailing on NCL Jade? NCL has excellent prices on bottles of wine and this doesn't even include the wine packages which offer further discounts and can be purchased onboard the first day:

http://www.pdf.ncl.eu/already_booked/gift_packages/gift_packages/ncl-wine-list.pdf

You have to pay a corkage fee of $15 per bottle for any bottles you bring onboard NCL, however the number of bottles is unlimited. So, really, unless you are talking about some really high quality hand-crafted wine - bottles that cost more than $30 per bottle, you are not saving much money by bringing wine onboard. If you are bringing something high end, then the corkage fee is worth it.

Here are the best types of boxes for shipping high quality wine. What I would do is pre-arrange with the hotel to receive the box of wine for you and ship it to them as opposed to paying an extra baggage fee with your airline. However if you are allowed to check 2 items for free, then, by all means, take it to the airport and put it through baggage.

http://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers

Incidentally, it is easy to get these shipping boxes for free - just order your wine from most any Napa Valley or Sonoma or Washington State or Texas winery, etc., and it will arrived properly boxed up. Nowadays, you can go online, find the winery of your choice and the wine can be shipped to Texas - so you might want to just go ahead and ship from the winery to the hotel instead of trying to schlep it in your luggage or bring a box with you.

Another way to do this is to buy wine from whatever restaurant you eat dinner at in Houston or from the hotel bar. However you decide to do this, remember to transfer your wine to a carry on before boarding the ship.

I hate to state the obvious but ships sell wine. Maybe there is some wine you wouldn't mind purchasing on board?

The obvious is what many posters seem to overlook. The hassle and risk of breakage makes packing in luggage questionable - particularly considering the minor savings achievable. If it is convenient to buy a couple of bottles at port of embarkation, great - otherwise, why bother?