Canada New England cruise

chloes nana

I am booked for the October 7th sailing on the Zuiderdam for a 12 day, Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise. My question, is this too late for the fall foilage? And how cold will it be this time of year in Canada and New England? Thanks in advance! :D

I'm booked on the same cruise. This will be the fourth time I've done this re-positioning cruise from Montreal or Quebec. Sometimes I'm lucky and get perfect foliage, other times it's early or late. But even if you miss the pretty pretty leaves, the scenery is gorgeous! It's even beautiful on rainy, foggy mornings.

My biggest tip is to plan to dress in layers, and pack something summery for the last couple of days in Port Canaveral/Ft. Lauderdale. The first time I did not pack summery clothing and was uncomfortable in the last port stops. Also, if you're at all disappointed by grey skies, drippy days, or foggy days, do not go on this cruise. My experience with this itinerary over 18 years, is more often than not this south-bound re-positioning cruise is on the grey scale of weather, rather than bright, clear sunny days.

I'm booked on the same cruise. This will be the fourth time I've done this re-positioning cruise from Montreal or Quebec. Sometimes I'm lucky and get perfect foliage, other times it's early or late. But even if you miss the pretty pretty leaves, the scenery is gorgeous! It's even beautiful on rainy, foggy mornings.

My biggest tip is to plan to dress in layers, and pack something summery for the last couple of days in Port Canaveral/Ft. Lauderdale. The first time I did not pack summery clothing and was uncomfortable in the last port stops. Also, if you're at all disappointed by grey skies, drippy days, or foggy days, do not go on this cruise. My experience with this itinerary over 18 years, is more often than not this south-bound re-positioning cruise is on the grey scale of weather, rather than bright, clear sunny days.

that is exactly what I needed to know! I do not mind gray rainy days, I don't get many rainy gray days in Colorado. I am on this cruise for the ports and color. No colors, no worries! I am on a ship and all is good for 12 days. Thanks for the packing tips and I will throw in an umbrella as well. ;)

Mclobster???? really, yuck! some things should just not have the letters Mc before it. But I agree on the trifecta!

I'd been in Halifax in July and had good lobster roll from a shack near the Maritime Museum (excellent museum, well worth seeing!). Since I'd already had a "proper" lobster roll in Halifax, I decided to give McD's a chance. I rarely go to McD--or any other fast food--but I was curious. It wasn't the best of the week, but it was OK. The lobster was good, but there was more lettuce "filler" than I'd like.

Excellent suggestion about visiting the Maritime Museum in Halifax. They have a fantastic collection of ship's bells, a few artifacts from Titanic. It's a nice museum within walking distance of where the ship docks if one has no mobility issues.

Excellent suggestion about visiting the Maritime Museum in Halifax. They have a fantastic collection of ship's bells, a few artifacts from Titanic. It's a nice museum within walking distance of where the ship docks if one has no mobility issues.

And it's a very pleasant walk along the harbor. We always stop and say hello to the statue of Samuel Cunard.

I like to go to the farmers market near the dock, especially if it's a weekend. Lots of great vendors and places to get a snack.

And it's a very pleasant walk along the harbor. We always stop and say hello to the statue of Samuel Cunard.

I like to go to the farmers market near the dock, especially if it's a weekend. Lots of great vendors and places to get a snack.

:) Yes ^^ and ^^ Yes. :)

(Quote function not working again so I hope this makes sense)...

From Sapper1

Montreal and Quebec City will always change before the coastal areas as it is the cold temperatures overnight that bring on the colour. The longer the night, the degrease in sunlight intensity and the colder the overnight air (but not freezing) brings the colour faster to the inland areas. So safe to say, in October it is best to travel from Montreal to Boston, or in the case of the OP, Ft. Lauderdale. We always had snow in the Eastern Township area of Quebec on Canadian Thanksgiving when I was growing up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From 1of4

Although we can not predict the weather, we can predict the longer cooler nights. It is that elusive PEAK colour that can not be predicted in time to book a cruise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you both. This is very good information and will help me to make a decision for that particular itinerary. It is on my bucket list - I had it booked for 2014 but plans changed and I had to cancel and transfer my deposit to another cruise at a different time of year. Hoping now to do this in 2017.

that is exactly what I needed to know! I do not mind gray rainy days, I don't get many rainy gray days in Colorado. I am on this cruise for the ports and color. No colors, no worries! I am on a ship and all is good for 12 days. Thanks for the packing tips and I will throw in an umbrella as well. ;)

This is my favorite itinerary. I have done this cruise 6 times. October 2016 will be my 7th, and my 5th repositioning itinerary. It's just a great cruise for me -- I am not a beach person and hot weather is not my friend.

I'm really excited about Portland, as it will be my first time there. We're scheduled to be in Charlottetown over Canadian Thanksgiving. I've been in Saguenay, Montreal, and Halifax over the holiday before, so I'm not too worried about nothing being open, but it may sway my decision to take a shore excursion rather than venturing out solely on my own.

I am excited to count down the days, and can't wait to see maple leaves -- even if they are not yet pretty colors.

It is hard to predict what the weather will be.

Last fall, the foliage happened the first week of November. We had very little rain from the middle of July until October.

One time we did a round trip Canada/New England cruise out of New York the middle of October. Fall foliage was nearly over by the time we hit Canada. And back then many of the shops were already closed for the season.

thanks to all of you for the sound advice. KK you stated the shops are closed for the season??? When do the shops traditionally close for the season in Canada?

I find most shops close mid-October, so we should just make it. And even if some of the shops have closed, they will often open if there is a ship in port. I would not worry about it.

Portland is consistently rated in the top ten "Foodie" cities in the US. The Old Port area near the cruise ship pier has some fantastic choices. We are also consistently rated very high on the craft beer industry.

A few of my favorites:

Bull Feeney's does a fine blend of Irish and New England fare; they used to have a deep fried lobster tail to die for, but the've changed chefs and I haven't seen it in a while.

Grill Room: great steaks, pretty pricey

Nosh: everything pork. Even the French Fries are dusted with bacon.

The Kings Head: Great pub on the waterfront

Becky's Diner: lobster in the rough and a good lobster roll on the waterfront

Great Lost Bear: over 70 craft beers on tap, many you can't get anywhere else.

And my wife has had the lobster roll at McD's, and its not too bad.

Excellent recommendations. We have family and friends in the Portland area and make it up there fairly often. One of my favorites for good food in the Old Port area is Street & Co (on Wharf Street). Portland has so many great restaurants and pubs.

Love the maritime knowledge you contribute to these boards, chengkp75. Thanks,

Tim

Excellent recommendations. We have family and friends in the Portland area and make it up there fairly often. One of my favorites for good food in the Old Port area is Street & Co (on Wharf Street). Portland has so many great restaurants and pubs.

Love the maritime knowledge you contribute to these boards, chengkp75. Thanks,

Tim

what do they serve at Street & Co?

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Here is a link to site for Street & Co. in Portland, Maine.
[url]http://www.streetandcompany.net/[/url]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Street & Co is another very fine spot, I don't get there as often as I'd like, since one son is allergic to seafood. He's a great chef, makes the best maple and bacon scallops I've ever had, but he can't taste what he makes. Street & Co does tend to change menu frequently, as they use only fresh ingredients, so whatever is available at the time.

Fore Street is another restaurant that serves only fresh local ingredients, so their menu changes often. They have a more mixed menu, including seafood and game.

The Oyster Room at Boone's is another nice place, relatively new. The owner, Harding Lee Smith, owns the 4 "room" restaurants in Portland: Oyster Room, Grill Room, Front Room, and Corner Room.

And, of course, how could I forget Duck Fat, where everything is fried or confit in, what else? Duck fat.

Here is a picture dear CC friends took as they left Montreal on their way to Quebec city last Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. The mountain on the left is where I grew up. This would have been taken October 10 or 11th.

[IMG]https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6df38b3127cceeb73f5b513fc00000030O02AcOHLhw3Yswe3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00300178898820160120004146870.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/IMG]

This should give a good indication of the colour possibilities that time of year.

[quote name='PlanoTim']Sail7seas posted a link to their menu. If you don't like seafood, just keep walking. :D The recommendation for Fore Street is another great choice.[/QUOTE]

[B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"]love love love seafood!:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[quote name='1of4']Here is a picture dear CC friends took as they left Montreal on their way to Quebec city last Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. The mountain on the left is where I grew up. This would have been taken October 10 or 11th.

[IMG]https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a6df38b3127cceeb73f5b513fc00000030O02AcOHLhw3Yswe3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00300178898820160120004146870.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/IMG]

This should give a good indication of the colour possibilities that time of year.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Purple"][B][I]now that is what I am talking about!!! beautiful, thanks[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='chloes nana'][B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"]love love love seafood!:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B][/QUOTE]

[B] Did you read the menu for that restaurant? :)

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Did you read the menu for that restaurant? :)

[/B][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"][B]I did Sail and there are numerous things that sound good, but I only get one choice. :rolleyes:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[quote name='catl331']grew up in N England. Taking this cruise for the ports and seafood. Never can get enough. anything can happen and usually does so I don't get my heart set on anything. Foliage this yr wasn't great in colors. Funny weather everywhere. You should have good scenery in the fjord after Quebec City. I am going to give poutine another chance, enjoy those P. E. I. mussels straight from the water and lobster whatever and wherever. I am taking this cruise for the food, for visiting a foreign country and visiting my old N E Stomping grounds. Go HAL!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='ellieanne']I'm booked on the same cruise. This will be the fourth time I've done this re-positioning cruise from Montreal or Quebec. Sometimes I'm lucky and get perfect foliage, other times it's early or late. But even if you miss the pretty pretty leaves, the scenery is gorgeous! It's even beautiful on rainy, foggy mornings.[/QUOTE]

We are booked on this repo too! Really looking forward to it. We intend to spend a couple of days in Montreal then a few days in Quebec before sailing and then a few days in Miami/FLL after.

There is more information on this thread than on any roll call - thanks to all for posting the information.

Chloes Nana - sorry, I quoted you as well, but the gremlins seem to have swallowed it!
:D Edited by VMax1700