Celebrity drops the ball sometimes...

Yachts of Fun

You know how they always announce that if you are not back in time the ship will sail without you? Well they will.

So disappointed in Celebrity - even though we allotted six hours for a four hour drive, we ran into two long construction zones on the highway where the traffic was reduced to one lane and bumper to bumper on the way to Ft. Lauderdale - panicking, we called the emergency line and let them know that we were on our way. We were checked-in online and when asked, told them we would definitely be there between 3:30 and 3:45 (sailing was at 4PM). We arrived at the port at 3:35 only to be turned away by hired security. No one from the company was there, no one called the ship, nothing was done and we were left behind at the start of an 11 day cruise to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. $1,200 and two days later, we finally joined the cruise in Cozumel. We asked for some consideration, possibly in the form of a credit for a future cruise, and were turned down flat. Corporate basically said, too bad, so sad, not their fault, have a nice day.

It is too bad because we have been sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for 20 plus years - we are Elite Captain's Club members - but probably never again. We really felt abandoned and dismissed. There has to be a cruise line out there that considers customer service and satisfaction to be their fist consideration and not the corporate bottom line.

Obviously,:( Celebrity is great at many things; great food, beautiful ships, excellent entertainment, good service on board - this was not their finest hour.

Obviously,:( Celebrity is great at many things; great food, beautiful ships, excellent entertainment, good service on board - this was not their finest hour.

Nor yours. You are expecting, that as a frequent customer, they suspend policies affecting thousands of others for your travel troubles.

Sympathy for your plight? Yes. Sympathy for the vessel sailing without you under the circumstances? Nope.

If they lost your business as you claim, who is really the loser?

Celebrity didn't drop the ball, you did.

The cruise lines are required to turn in their final manifest of those on board at least 60 minutes before they sail. You missed that time and registration to board had closed. Since you were not on a Celebrity chartered flight, they denied you boarding.

The traffic snarls are to expected in construction zones. Did you check online ahead of time to see what construction you'd run into?

We complain about self-centered youth, but you just demonstrated that such self-entitlement is not restricted to the young.

I hope the rest of your cruise went well, but ALL cruise lines would have reacted the exact same way.

You know how they always announce that if you are not back in time the ship will sail without you? Well they will.

So disappointed in Celebrity - even though we allotted six hours for a four hour drive, we ran into two long construction zones on the highway where the traffic was reduced to one lane and bumper to bumper on the way to Ft. Lauderdale - panicking, we called the emergency line and let them know that we were on our way. We were checked-in online and when asked, told them we would definitely be there between 3:30 and 3:45 (sailing was at 4PM). We arrived at the port at 3:35 only to be turned away by hired security. No one from the company was there, no one called the ship, nothing was done and we were left behind at the start of an 11 day cruise to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. $1,200 and two days later, we finally joined the cruise in Cozumel. We asked for some consideration, possibly in the form of a credit for a future cruise, and were turned down flat. Corporate basically said, too bad, so sad, not their fault, have a nice day.

It is too bad because we have been sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for 20 plus years - we are Elite Captain's Club members - but probably never again. We really felt abandoned and dismissed. There has to be a cruise line out there that considers customer service and satisfaction to be their fist consideration and not the corporate bottom line.

I am sorry you missed the ship...but were they supposed to hold everyone up for your poor planning?

You are an experienced cruiser ,should have been there earlier. Those of us who have to fly in, need to do it at least a the day before. Sorry no sympathy....

Edited by Reader0108598

Very sorry about your situation, but as the others have said, it was out of Celebrity's control. They had to turn in their manifest 60 minutes, no later, before departing. They publish the rules for a reason. Again, sorry it happened, but it is a lesson learned. No other cruise line would have done anything any different

Celebrity didn't drop the ball, you did.

The cruise lines are required to turn in their final manifest of those on board at least 60 minutes before they sail. You missed that time and registration to board had closed. Since you were not on a Celebrity chartered flight, they denied you boarding.

The traffic snarls are to expected in construction zones. Did you check online ahead of time to see what construction you'd run into?

We complain about self-centered youth, but you just demonstrated that such self-entitlement is not restricted to the young.

I hope the rest of your cruise went well, but ALL cruise lines would have reacted the exact same way.

Cruise lines are required to turn in a manifest listing all person on board 60 minutes before sailing. Was part of that not clear. Am certainly sorry you missed the ship and are angry but it is not Celebrity's fault. Check in ends one hour before sailing. I have seen them hold it for another few minutes but only if the are notified.

Hope you catch your ship at the next port.

Any comment about the 2000 some passengers who missed their cruises due to weather. Those who booked their own air on the southern Caribbean cruise will need to pay out of their own $$ airfare to San Juan. Weather again is not Celebrity's or any other cruise lines fault.

Edited by az_tchr

I'm sorry, but you need to be aboard ninety minutes before sailaway. You did not allow enough time and you expect the cruise line to make it up to you? You decided to leave home, 4 hours away, at 9:30 AM for a cruise you could board at 11AM?? Did you not check road conditions? That part of Florida is known for long delays, I know this, and I live in California!

I am far from a Celebrity apologist, but this is on you, not the cruise line. And you are going to 'punish' them by not sailing with them again?? Seriously? Any other cruise line would have done the same. I think I know who 'dropped the ball' this time.

Edited by CathyCruises

Sad situation but OP cut it way too close. Glad they could catch up to the ship.

when we are in Fla we drive across a day ahead for cruises,

Construction rain and congestion delays are unfortunately quite frequent .

"They won't sail without you" applies to Celebrity booked excursions. That they do honor. I do not see Celeb at fault in this instance

the contract you agreed to spells out specifically the requirements you have do. Physical check in is closed 60 minutes before departure . Then all the shore side check in computers are returned to security on the ship. If only heard of holds when a large number are delayed on one flight . Usually only on the start of a world cruise.:mad:

Feel for you but come in a day early next time or fly.

OP -- so sorry that, after 20+ cruises, you only found CruiseCritic today. If you had spent much time on these boards, you would have read many a cautionary tale about getting to the ship on time. Too many things can happen on a long drive (or flight) to the port, not to plan accordingly. :eek:

I'm also sorry that the folks on the ship didn't want to compensate you -- but, this really wasn't their fault. That being said, a comp'ed specialty restaurant dinner (to celebrate your DH's birthday) would have been a nice touch, though. :(

we ran into two long construction zones on the highway where the traffic was reduced to one lane and bumper to bumper on the way to Ft. Lauderdale

Does Florida not have places (web, phone number, app's) to check traffic and scheduled construction closures? It's not even an accident you are complaining about, it was a planned event you failed to take into consideration. My Dad always said to leave time for two flat tires on the way to the airport, and more for a cruise.

Trying to be nice. We just cruised for only the second time, the first time in 23 years. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure you dropped the ball, not Celebrity and the only one to blame is yourself. You didn't allow enough time, it was YOUR fault, not Celebrity. It was your fault not to plan better, not Celebrity. Why should they compensate you for YOUR mistake, your errors, etc.

You have cruised 20 times, are elite, etc etc and you didn't know the terms of the contract you agreed too. You didn't know to allow more than enough time to arrive at the port, get to the dock, etc. You have traveled all these times and only found Cruise Critic to whine and complain about Celebrity and expect sympathy. Celebrity does care about their customers, but why should they reward you for YOUR mistake, YOUR poor decision making, they did NOTHING wrong!

With weather in the winter, it doesn't take much to realize you need to leave a day ahead (even if it costs extra to stay at a hotel). The extra $$ is worth it in the end (the hotel room would have been a lot less than the money you spent catching up to the ship). We realized it was winter and flew in a day ahead. If driving in an unfamiliar area there are plenty of apps and computer programs showing construction zones and detours. We drove from MCO to FLL and there was construction, we never came to a full stop but there were construction zones...but we flew in a day, drove down and stayed at a hotel. Even leaving the airport in FLL and taking the Alamo shuttle to Port Everglades took an hour by the time they dropped people off at the other ships and picked others up.

This is your own fault. Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson. The ones I feel for are those who got stuck because of the snowstorm.

Edited by andymattmom

I can't see the issue here, you didn't arrive in time and were left. Oh and Welcome to Cruise Critic though I don't expect you will like what you are about to read! LOL

Sorry to hear about your situation, OP. Although it wasn't Celebrity's fault for your late arrival, it would have been nice if they had a token gesture of sympathy at least, perhaps a complimentary bottle of wine or dessert...

I'm curious, though. You (OP) said you called the "emergency line", advising them you'd arrive between 3:30pm and 3:45pm. Whom did you speak with and what did they say?

I am going to assume it wasn't a Celebrity tour. Sounds like you rented a car or did you hire a car and driver? When you go out on your own and not through Celebrity you take the risk of something like this happening with bad results. I never take a private tour or rent a car where the next port is many miles away and an expensive airline ticket. Don't put the blame on Celebrity, put it on the one who made the decision to do this. If it's a Celebrity tour they will wait or get you to the next port at their expense. It also amazes me that you claim to be a long time Celebrity cruiser but this is your first post on Cruise Critic?

I think you should be thankful they allowed you to join the cruise downstream. Just one person getting on late or leaving the cruise early creates a different scenario when returning to port. It is no longer a closed loop cruise. CBP has to screen the passports/ID more closely than if everyone getting off are the same ones who got on. EM

Does Florida not have places (web, phone number, app's) to check traffic and scheduled construction closures? It's not even an accident you are complaining about, it was a planned event you failed to take into consideration. My Dad always said to leave time for two flat tires on the way to the airport, and more for a cruise.

511 on cell phone or fl511.com on Web.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

I am going to assume it wasn't a Celebrity tour. Sounds like you rented a car or did you hire a car and driver? When you go out on your own and not through Celebrity you take the risk of something like this happening with bad results. I never take a private tour or rent a car where the next port is many miles away and an expensive airline ticket. Don't put the blame on Celebrity, put it on the one who made the decision to do this. If it's a Celebrity tour they will wait or get you to the next port at their expense. It also amazes me that you claim to be a long time Celebrity cruiser but this is your first post on Cruise Critic?

It wasn't any kind of a tour! They were coming from home to board the ship at the original departure point. Just trying to see what they can get by way of compensation for their own bad planning