Has there been a change on stateroom access on boarding?

birdiebill

I have read recent comments that staterooms are not always available on boarding. Our stateroom has always been available when we boarded on all of our prior cruises. Is one reason for the suggested staggered boarding times to ensure that your room is ready when you board? Or is Princess trying to encourage the use of staggered boarding by opening decks by the suggested boarding time. I understand that the staggered boarding has been only a suggestion and that we can choose to board earlier than our time, eat lunch, and then get access to our room later. Has access recently been consistent by boarding time or inconsistent cruise to cruise?

I do understand that delayed boarding due to the need for a "deep clean" changes everything.

I just boarded the Ruby on Sunday - no deep cleaning or anything happening - and we were handed a printed card at check in - which I have thrown away so I can't quote - but it said in much corporate fudge-speak that altho' Princess was offering early boarding (it started at noon, same time as always) and that all facilities (bars, HC, pools etc.) would be open, we couldn't access our cabins till 1pm to allow the stewards to 'put the finishing touches' in place.

In reality, my cabin was available when I boarded at noon but I suppose Princess are covering themselves in case the steward isn't quite done - my steward certainly seems to have a lot of cabins to deal with, possibly more than in the past - I haven't asked exactly how many, I think I'll do that.

Edited by jollyjones

No fleet-wide change. There may, on occasion, be a delay with an individual room or section because of a problem from the prior cruise, but it is not a change in policy.

Well if they are taking the time to print up cards and give them out at check in I would say that something has changed.

I have seen quite a few posts now saying the the same thing. (1pm)

Well if they are taking the time to print up cards and give them out at check in I would say that something has changed.

I agree. Have not yet run into it myself, wasn't in place in November, will see what happens next month when I board.

I agree. Have not yet run into it myself, wasn't in place in November, will see what happens next month when I board.

I feel bad for Stewart, and the fact that there are those that choose to hang out in their cabin past 8a or 9a causing the cleaning to get behind schedule.

I am sure that does not help. They have enough to do already on turnaround day. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

On Emerald for NYE and no problem boarding at 11:30 am and going to cabin. But we did not get bath towels until about 5 pm that night.

Cabin steward says he had either 17 or 19 cabins. Outrageous amount to take care of:( When we first started cruising they each had about 7 cabins to take care of.

Princess raised the Hotel Charge on January 1st, now they need to add additional cabin stewards so their customers get the service they are paying for.

Too many cabins/steward and too few support staff, that is the bottom line, and it is absolutely visible to Princess' customers on boarding day and all other days of the cruise.

I have only seen one post a month or so ago where the poster had to wait to get into the cabin. I can't remember what the problem was.

We went straight to our cabin on the Crown South Pacific cruise in October.

The Cron's Jan 22 cruise. The ship was in red nose from Noro.

We boarded the Regal on Nov 29 for a B2B and the hallways to the rooms were not accessible. The main doors to the hallways were closed and there was a sign on the door that the rooms would not be available until 1 PM.

On turn around day, we exited the ship and when we returned we found the same situation. Unfortunately it affected the people who remained on board. A fellow passenger who had remained on board, dressed in his bathing suit, was unable to get back to his room. Another disappointed passenger forced the door and the alarm sounded (we took that as our sign to get out of there). I wrote in my evaluation that Princess might add to the turnaround documentation that rooms and hallways might not be available throughout the turnaround process.

A word to the wise; on turnaround day, take what you need.

We boarded the Regal on Nov 29 for a B2B and the hallways to the rooms were not accessible. The main doors to the hallways were closed and there was a sign on the door that the rooms would not be available until 1 PM.

On turn around day, we exited the ship and when we returned we found the same situation. Unfortunately it affected the people who remained on board. A fellow passenger who had remained on board, dressed in his bathing suit, was unable to get back to his room. Another disappointed passenger forced the door and the alarm sounded (we took that as our sign to get out of there). I wrote in my evaluation that Princess might add to the turnaround documentation that rooms and hallways might not be available throughout the turnaround process.

Although heavy.... fire doors are always operable manually. They are held in place with a magnet and can be closed from the bridge or individually by a switch near the door. Most have to be reopened and latched (magnet) by hand.

This (locking them in any way) would be a big no no with USCG if they were anything but free to open/close by bridge/hand.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They gave preprinted cards to passengers about cabins being unavailable until 1 PM on our October 2013 cruise from Venice & also from Ft Lauderdale in April 2015. Neither had a code red but they may have done a preventive deep cleaning which required delayed cabin availability. Or maybe there was a crew turnover because both times it was at the start of a TA cruise.

I never heard the reason for the delay & just speculating about what might have been a reason because on other cruises our cabin was available upon boarding by noon.

We just completed BTOB's on the Regal. January 10 and January 17. The same thing happened to us. We were handed the printed card at check in detailing that rooms would be ready at 1pm. We boarded at 1130am and were directed to either the Horizon Court or the IC. In talking with staff over the 2 weeks we were on, we were told it will be a fleet wide change. Hallway doors were shut with large printed notices on them saying that cabins would be ready after 1pm but could be operated but it did send an alarm when you opened it. We didn't' try to access when we first boarded but did so on turnaround day. The stewards didn't seem to mind that the in transit people were going to their rooms.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

We have several cruises under our belts with the majority being on Royal Caribbean. I was rather excited to think we could take our carry on's to our room upon boarding since that is not the usual practice on Royal's ships. Their time is usually 1:30.

Some have posted on how many more cabins the stewards now have. That is exactly the same on board Royal's ships as well. I can remember seeing our stewards in the hallways frequently in the past, but that is now changed. We may see them, but they are hustling on the cruises we've done. We've even seen more supervisor visibility with them asking if our steward was doing a good job. That has been on more than one cruise.

Guess there must be a cruise line convention where all of the lines agree on how to increase the work load for all employees. ;) Seems to be standard operating procedure across the major lines.

We do enjoy cruising, but notice the changes since we first started...follow the money! ;)

Edited by denamo

12:30pm - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & L

1:00pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabin on these decks begin with D & E

1:30pm - Caribe - Cabins on this deck begin with C

2:00pm - Marina & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R

2:30pm - Baja Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with B

We board the Regal this upcoming Sunday (1/31) and this is the staggered boarding information received in an email from Princess. We are on the Riviera Deck.

When we boarded the Regal last Oct we were not able to go directly to our room. We boarded early as we are Platinum and they had all the hallways roped off so you could not access the staterooms. We were also given a card with the corporate blah blah on it. I was shocked as we've always been able to go directly to our room and drop off carry ons. This time we were directed to the buffet. They did not remove the ropes until the 1pm time stated on the card.

This new development is interesting. It's not something to get overtly upset about, but I wish that Princess would be upfront with these changes in advance instead of surprising long-time Princess customers with it at check-in. I'm boarding the Royal in three days, and I'm seriously considering waiting until 1:00 p.m. to even head to the pier.

12:30pm - Aloha & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & L

1:00pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabin on these decks begin with D & E

1:30pm - Caribe - Cabins on this deck begin with C

2:00pm - Marina & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R

2:30pm - Baja Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with B

We board the Regal this upcoming Sunday (1/31) and this is the staggered boarding information received in an email from Princess. We are on the Riviera Deck.

Now these times would be different then accessing cabins after boarding.

These would be a suggestion for boarding times.

We always try and arrive around 10:30 and boarding usually starts around Noon.

We boarded the Caribbean Princess on 12/27/2015. I don't think they gave us a card, but when we got onboard they told us that cabins weren't ready yet. I was pretty surprised. I don't remember if they told us when they would be ready. We just ended up trying to get to the cabin after we had some lunch and were able to get in.

On our Regal back to backs in December we had to wait for 1 pm for the first cruise, but on the second one (while in transit), the room stewards didn't mind us coming back to the cabin before 1 pm. The alarm only sounds for a short time (10 seconds), then stops. There was no reason to keep out in transit passengers since our cabins didn't require a complete turnaround.

Not really happy about this change because Princess seems to be headed in the direction of all the other cruise lines (which I don't like!).