Debating Amawaterways and Uniworld

doktor

Looking at a Rhine for early or mid April of next year. Ama's pricing is out, and I am waiting on Uniworld's. I noted that Uniworld's currency on board is Euros. What is Ama's? Also on both cruise lines how many optional tours are offered, and how pricey are they?

Any additional info anyone can offer would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Sandy

AMA's onboard currency is Euros. They have NO optional tours in the sense of extra cost -- they have many options, but they are all included in the cruise fare (even the ones labeled "Limited Edition"). Their included wines are also good enough that we have never felt the need to purchase a bottle. But they do let you use your OBC to pay the tips -- so it worked out for us that our TA's OBC covered the tips, a little laundry, and one of the cute AMA bears from the gift shop.

We enjoyed Uniworld's version of this cruise. Optional tours included

Black Forest, with lunch, clock factory. 69€

Heidelberg. 59€

Marksburg Castle. 39€

We used OBC and did the Heidelberg trip. Wanted to do Marksburg but DH had knee problems at the time and the climbs up and down and around the castle would have been impossible. We discussed this with the CD before cancelling. Instead, we greatly enjoyed exploring more of Koblenz after our walking tour there. Instead of the Black Forest, we had a full day in beautiful Strasboug.

Host jazz Beau

How much are the gratuities on Ama?

€3 per day per person for the Cruise Manager (her entire salary) plus €12 per day per person for the crew. So on a 7-day cruise it would be €105 per person. But you don't pay for optional excursions, so it balances out.

Our Uniworld cruise in 2014 was great. Details in my photo review...link below. Optional tours and prices were just as jklc123 listed above.

I have friends who speak very highly of AMA. Check itineraries carefully for any subtle differences that might sway you in one direction or another. Both lines should offer a very enjoyable cruise.

Thanks I really appreciate as have never done a river cruise. Ama prices are out is it worth waiting on Uniworld. Do they have early booking incentives?

Too bad, we love AMA. Are you sure you want to do Rhine? We cruised Amsterdam to Budapest and the Rhine portion was our least favorite. Seemed too industrial for us. Just my opinion.

If itinerary close, and cost not a huge factor - I would always pick Uniworld. We have done 3 cruises with them, and their attention to detail is amazing.

Since they went "all inclusive", we have found their price point a bit above what we are willing to pay.

We have cruised with AMA (and Scenic, Viking & Avalon) - and let itinerary, then dates, then price drive our decision.

While many itineraries are quite similar, sometimes it is the small details that help make a decision.

Good luck with your planning!!

Fran

We did AMA Rhine in 2013 and can't fault a single thing. We also did their post-cruise extension to Lucerne and Zurich as we weren't sure how easy it would be to get around that area (we take lots of luggage, and don't speak German) -- and one really nice thing was that the Cruise Director from the ship stayed with us on the post-excursion (I believe this is AMA's usual policy). I found the beer and wine that was included was all I needed onboard, and as I mentioned above all excursions -- including all options -- were included throughout the cruise. On the extension there were two optional excursions: Mt. Pilatus (which we did DIY instead) and Rhine Falls and Stein am Rhein (which we did with AMA) -- those were in addition to the included excursions of Lucerne walking tour, Lake Lucerne boat ride and Brunnen (part of the transfer to Zurich), and Zurich city/walking tour. We were on one of their older ships (AmaCello) -- now you would get one of their newer designs which should be even nicer.

I would look very closely at the decor of the two ships. Different strokes for different folks. We were rafted next to a Uniworld ship on two occasions and personally the decor doesn't suit our personality, and would affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

I am taking my first River cruise in April and will be going on AMA:)

I have heard really good things about them. My sis and bil have sailed

with them and so has my TA. I can't wait:D

Hope you have a great time....whichever cruiseline you choose:)

I also think you should look at the reviews for the particular boats you'd be on. We were on Uniworld's S.S. Marie Antoinette (one of Uniworld's "super ships") and the facilities were outstanding - including a beautiful swim spa and lounge area at the back of the ship - as were the food, wine, staff and tours.

I would look very closely at the decor of the two ships. Different strokes for different folks. We were rafted next to a Uniworld ship on two occasions and personally the decor doesn't suit our personality, and would affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

You are not alone in feeling that way.

Uniworld remains off of our list in Europe due to the decor, may look at the ships elsewhere which are not quite so extreme in their styling.

When we start planning for a river cruise, I do a spread sheet and compare ports and excursions first, then look at the ships. As someone commented, also take into consideration what charges you will pay above the cruise price. We love the all-inclusive that Uniworld has. Less to worry about at the end of the trip. So far décor has not been a high priority that would determine one company from another with all of the other details taken into consideration. Just our opinion. ;)

Cole

You are not alone in feeling that way.

Uniworld remains off of our list in Europe due to the decor, may look at the ships elsewhere which are not quite so extreme in their styling.

I would tend to agree by looking at pictures in their brochures.

HOWEVER, once on board, we really didn't even notice. It's kind of like focusing on what other people wear to dinner. We were much more focused on experiencing the places we went, and sharing the company of our fellow cruisers. The furniture was comfortable, the beds the most comfortable we've had. The service, top notch.

We are sailing on Avalon in April. I'm sure I'll enjoy the space, and view, of the Panorama suite. The rest, well, we will have to see.

Robin

We found the decor on the SS Catherine to be quite overwhelming in the public areas and not at all to our tastes. However, other than the seating being uncomfortable in the lounges, it did not detract from our overall enjoyment of the cruise.

Thankfully, our cabin decor was quite reserved. Bedding was excellent!

AMA is our preference overall but we would not hesitate to cruise with Uniworld again if it were one of the new SS boats.

We cruised the same itinerary with both lines and I posted a detailed comparison here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233779&highlight=ss+catherine

We recently cruised the Rhine on the AmaSerena and totally enjoyed it. You can read my review under AmaSerena member reviews.

Edited by caviargal