Please clarify designer jeans

cwbabe48

X shot themselves in the foot with the "designer" jean thing. I can find many designer jeans with the way-over-$100 price tag that are totally faded and distressed ("but, these are my Armani jeans, they ARE designer…") Does X have a list of designer names that the host/hostess at the Front Door will check your label against to see if you may pass??? ;)

I would guess that as long as the jeans are one color, non-faded and don't have holes, people will be fine.

Edited by slidergirl

X shot themselves in the foot with the "designer" jean thing. I can find many designer jeans with the way-over-$100 price tag that are totally faded and distressed ("but, these are my Armani jeans, they ARE designer…") Does X have a list of designer names that the host/hostess at the Front Door will check your label against to see if you may pass??? ;)

I would guess that as long as the jeans are one color, non-faded and don't have holes, people will be fine.

I love this post. I have an image of their host/hostess looking at people's rear view to read which designer label....... if there is one. :)

I find it kind of funny that X actually changed their dress code policy to say "designer jeans" are now acceptable. I'm sure people were wearing them before anyway. And the term itself to me is pretty dumb. The word "designer" and esp "couture" are so overused that they don't even bear the same meaning of what it really is supposed to mean anymore. If it is real "designer" clothes, first off they don't make jeans. Some lines have diffusions like, such as Armani mentioned above, but it's Armani Exchange. Giorgio Armani would never have a pair of jeans in their collection, and pretty sure not Emporio either.

And don't even get me started on "couture".

Nowadays Guess gets away with being "designer" when all they were was a knockoff of the Gucci logo in the 80s.

The funniest thing is that designer jeans started to fall out of fashion around 2008 or so when the economy collapsed! When was the last time you saw someone wearing a pair of True Religions?

If the jeans are new and clean, I am sure they are fine. There are some distressed jeans that can look nice, but not really dressy. Stick to the dark washes with minimal distressing I say. But really, who wants to wear jeans on a cruise anyway? (Assuming this is Caribbean.)

Clean, neat, pressed and no holes or tears.

Sounds like my Old Navy jeans… When did Old Navy become a designer label ;)

When take jeans on vacation, I make sure they are clean, neat and have no holes or tears. I consider it sacrilege to iron jeans (reminds me tooooooo much of the disco days and too many loooooong nights at the clubs)….

I said Armani because I used to buy my ex his jeans at the Armani Exchange - they had the best fit outside of Wranglers.

I have also sailed with Celebrity for many years. They cannot decide

what direction they want to go (in my opinion). Jeans, no jeans, formal,

informal......casual.......they keep changing directions over time.

Maybe all cruiselines do this too? I just hear more about it on Celebrity

since I have sailed often with them.

This is not because of their "dress code" but for the first time in almost

13 years I have nothing booked with them.........I am going on my first

River Cruise in April:D and then when I sail another Ocean Cruise I am

going to try something else......I don't know what yet but Celebrity

isn't on my plate right now.....branching out and will see where it takes

me:)

Lois, there seems to be changes in many of the lines that have long time loyalists upset. They are all looking for something different so you are not the only one.

When we started crying, it was only on Celebrity. We branched out when they got rid of the small Zenith that went to Bermuda. We have now been on Royal Caribbean (thank you Celebrity for the status we have on RC), NCL and Princess.

We've never had a bad cruise but Celebrity was always our benchmark and the others just didn't have the feel we had on X. Have wanted to go back to X but maybe we would be disappointed since it seems it changed so much.

We liked Princess a lot and thought it closest to X. With all your cruises in X, your status will be matched in RC and I imagine it would be Diamond+.

Hi:)...yes, you are correct......I will have whatever is the status on Royal....

D or D+ I think.

If I could afford I higher end line, I would do it. *don't mean to sound

snobby but I would love to try a "luxury line".....but that is virtually

impossible.

I may try Princess though....will see how it goes. My attention is really

on my River Cruise now:D. I can't wait to go this one!

I'm going to go way out on a limb but it's my guess anyone reading the Beauty and Fashion Forum here on CC likely has a very good idea what is meant when they see 'designer jeans' mentioned as the description for 'jeans permitted'.

How many really didn't have any idea what that means? :D ;) :eek:

The last time I saw a pair of True Religion jeans...when the DS was home for Christmas Break! LOL! He went nuts and bought two pair and took them on our Christmas cruise to the Mexican Rivieara!:D

There are high-end designer jeans but I think, as do most on this thread, that as long as your jeans are clean and are not distressed in any way, it doesn't really matter who makes them. I wore Gloria Vanderbilt jeans on our recent Christmas cruise (because they fit me the best) that I got at Costco! Her jeans were considered to be "designer jeans" in the 80s! LOL!

Most cruise lines allow "nice jeans" in their MDRs these days. I wear them with sparkly tops, blazers, or tunic tops and low-heeled shoes or wedgies.

Edited by mousey

I'm still finding my style, but I've been using nice jeans as a way to dress up here in the western US and on cruise ships for the last few years. Really nice high end jeans are a way to look good while intentions reducing the formality of the look while still making it obvious that you made an effort.

If you've got the sense of style and don't feel like a poser, a really sharp combo are tailored dark boot cut Calvin Klein or Joes Jeans with cowboy boots. Wear a slim fit shirt to further enhance the idea of height. I often wear a blazer or or half zip tight fitting sweater with this combo, often a tie too with the sweater. I do not wear this on a formal night or other similar occasion, and it isn't for someone hoping not to stand out.

I won't wear skinny jeans, as that doesn't fit with my idea of classic style nor does it make me look better anyway.

As to the original question, designer jeans are generally a rung above Wrangler, Lee or Levis but they all have designer looks to some of their newer offerings. The fake distressing that I prefer to avoid is way too common in designer jeans, but they also tend to be made of lighter weight, stretchier materials, that look and feel awesome.

Designer jeans are usually higher in price and made by companies such as mavi, silver, 7 for all mankind, Versace, Armani, etc.

As long as your jeans are neat and tidy you'll be fine. Nodody is going to be checking to see whether your jeans are truly "designer jeans".

Whether something is considered "designer" is subjective anyways. My aunt, who primarily shops at Walmart, would consider Old Navy jeans as being "designer" :p

Celebrity decided to use fancy wording in their description to go along with their whole "modern luxury" theme.