Greek Cruise Help!

I am sailing this summer to the Greek Isles. We are torn between Celebrity 11 day italy and greece (sailing out of rome) or the RCL 14 day back to back Greece/Croatica cruise (sailing out of venice). I have wanted to see the Dalmation coast; however the RCL reviews seem mixed. Celebrity allows us more flexibility to see more of Italy , losing Croatia in the process. Help!!

I am sailing this summer to the Greek Isles. We are torn between Celebrity 11 day italy and greece (sailing out of rome) or the RCL 14 day back to back Greece/Croatica cruise (sailing out of venice). I have wanted to see the Dalmation coast; however the RCL reviews seem mixed. Celebrity allows us more flexibility to see more of Italy , losing Croatia in the process. Help!!

Can you copy and paste both itineraries. That would help to give you more feedback.

Keith

Thanks ...the Itineraries deciding between are as follows

RCL (2B2) : Venice to Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini , Mykonos, Argostoli, Corfu, Katakalon, Ephesus and Athens

the Celebrity cruise is Rome, 2 days in Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Ephesus, Bodum, Turkey, Crete and Naples back to Rome

Trading off Croatia for more time in Italy as it returns to Rome 4 days before my flight back to the US.

THE RCL cruise gives me only 2 days in rome

A colleague mentioned 2 days in Athens is not necessary.

Thank you for any other thoughts you can provide.

Both are quite nice.

I am not sure if this is a consideration or not but be sure to look at airfare. The Rome R/T might be a better price.

I like the fact that the Celebrity cruise begins in Rome. You could add in a few days pre cruise in Rome which I would recommend. Two days in Athens is actually quite nice. You can't see it all in one day and you can't see it all in two days but there is a lot to see there so two days is nice.

You said that the RCL cruise gives you two days in Rome but I don't see Rome listed.

Keith

Sorry I am new at this!

We are booked FF miles already ..into venice and out of rome as I am attending a wedding in austria first and Venice was least miles and closest to the wedding. We then head to Salzburg to visit and then Venice then the cruise can be from Venice OR Rome and I need to end in Rome to fly back.

The RCL cruise ends in Venice but allows me time to get to rome and have 2 days in Rome prior to departure.

The Celebrity cruise because it is shorter than the RCL cruise by 2 days allows 4 days in Rome prior to my flight ...so side trips to Amalfi, etc. can be easily done v. cramming in 2 days in Rome. I have been to Rome/Amalfi, bringing my daughter for her first time to those places.

It's hard to decide because I really think Croatia would be most unique.

The reviews on Vision of the Seas are honestly not that good and I know with Celebrity the Reflection the experience will be solid all around.

If you take out of consideration Croatia (which is only one stop), the RCL itinerary is somewhat less appealing overall -- at least to me. Of course, the Venice sail in/sail out is a plus.

I cannot imagine someone thinking you only need one day in Athens -- to see the cradle of Classical civilization? I wonder how they prioritized their one day there among the many sites...?

Sorry I am new at this!

We are booked FF miles already ..into venice and out of rome as I am attending a wedding in austria first and Venice was least miles and closest to the wedding. We then head to Salzburg to visit and then Venice then the cruise can be from Venice OR Rome and I need to end in Rome to fly back.

The RCL cruise ends in Venice but allows me time to get to rome and have 2 days in Rome prior to departure.

The Celebrity cruise because it is shorter than the RCL cruise by 2 days allows 4 days in Rome prior to my flight ...so side trips to Amalfi, etc. can be easily done v. cramming in 2 days in Rome. I have been to Rome/Amalfi, bringing my daughter for her first time to those places.

It's hard to decide because I really think Croatia would be most unique.

The reviews on Vision of the Seas are honestly not that good and I know with Celebrity the Reflection the experience will be solid all around.

You are doing great.

I do love Croatia but I think you are only getting one port Dubrovnik.

Personally since I think both itineraries are nice (I actually like the Celebrity one better) even if we say they are about the same I would go with the nicer ship which would be Celebrity.

Just my two cents.

Keith

You might want to take a look at Windstar. Something about the smaller ships makes Windstar a line to consider if a cruise in the Med is in your future. We did a Windstar package from Athens (included a two nigh Athens hotel stay) to Venice and enjoyed every minute. We've cruised the Med several times on other ships and so far our tour using the Windstar Pride holds first place on our list of reasonably affordable Med cruises.

This summer we've booked the Windstar Legend for a cruise from Barcelona to Athens. If you want a floating full activity cruise ship turn the page because a two hundred passenger ship like the Windstar Pride will likely disappoint.

Don't miss Venice! It's unlike anything else, wonderful. As well, I would go to Ephesus again in a heartbeat. Pay the extra entry fee for the Terrace Houses there, - it's well worth the cost. And I loved the market in Kusadasi (Ephesus port). I bought a leather purse there for $75 that is the envy of all my friends.

I agree with CruiseMom, two days in Athens is a bonus. The ancient sites are wonderful, and modern Athens is also very fun and interesting in its own right.

BTW we took the train from Venice to Rome. It was very modern, very fast, and we had no issues at all with pickpockets or people trying to steal our luggage. Our car was full of well-dressed Italian business people. No trouble changing to the Civitavecchia (port) train in Rome, no problem making the connection, or finding the correct track. However, the train from Rome to Civitavecchia was old, slow, and very crowded, mostly with cruisers and their huge luggage. The Civitavecchia station has no elevators and if you encounter stairs (as we did) you will have to drag all your stuff on the stairs yourself - no porters in sight.

First time (many years ago) we arrived in Venice it was by tour bus. It was wonderful.

Second time we arrived in Venice it was by train. It was wonderful.

Third/fourth/blah blah blah times we arrived by plane and it was wonderful.

Then we arrived by cruise ship. It was out of this world. :)

the cost of NCL is well over $1000 more than the RCL ..so we picked RCL instead as the ports were almost identical

That was a smart thing to do. For these cruises, the ship is essentially a floating hotel and you will be off the ship so much, really it is best to save the money and spend it on excursions, food and souvenirs instead.

I just want to mention about Rome - 2016 is a Jubilee year and Rome is going to have a at least 5 times as many pilgrims and tourists than normal. Hotel prices will skyrocket, parking will be at a premium and tours into Rome will be more expensive because Rome is going to charge tourist conveyances an extra 200 Euros to enter each day. I just want to warn you that this means longer lines for everything - especially at the Vatican and the Cathedrals because Rome had had to add a lot of security - X-ray and metal detectors, maybe body scans to go into the Vatican due to the terrorist threats. Some places, such as cathedrals and the Vatican will not allow you to bring a bag.

Adding to this problem, the mayor and much of the city council of Rome had to resign last fall so the city is being run by a commissioner until they can have another election. Rome does not have the money in the budget to make the infrastructure repairs necessary for the Holy Year and the additional money for all the needed added security. Here you can read about the preparations for the Holy Year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/world/europe/wary-of-risks-in-jubilee-year-rome-is-on-alert.html

As to how you will enjoy Rome in a Jubilee year - well, that depends on if you like being in crowds or not and if you don't mind standing in long lines and dealing with quite a bit of traffic. The situation will be similar to being in Atlanta, GA (or any other host city) during the Olympics. If this bothers you, there are plenty of things to see and do outside of Rome such as

Ostia Antica

Bomarzo, Villa Lante and Villa Farnese

Assisi

Orvieto

Hadrian's Villa

Villa d'Este

You could even go to Pompeii, Capri, Positano and Sorrento as a day trip.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Thanks ...the Itineraries deciding between are as follows

RCL (2B2) : Venice to Dubrovnik, Kotor, Santorini , Mykonos, Argostoli, Corfu, Katakalon, Ephesus and Athens

the Celebrity cruise is Rome, 2 days in Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Ephesus, Bodum, Turkey, Crete and Naples back to Rome

Trading off Croatia for more time in Italy as it returns to Rome 4 days before my flight back to the US.

THE RCL cruise gives me only 2 days in rome

A colleague mentioned 2 days in Athens is not necessary.

Thank you for any other thoughts you can provide.

I am just wondering what kind of condition you'll find either Turkey or Greece this summer for tourists?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3433423/Up-40-000-Syrians-flock-Turkey-Europe-Assad-s-troops-Russian-air-strikes-force-flee-Aleppo.html

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I just want to mention about Rome - 2016 is a Jubilee year and Rome is going to have a at least 5 times as many pilgrims and tourists than normal. Hotel prices will skyrocket, parking will be at a premium and tours into Rome will be more expensive because Rome is going to charge tourist conveyances an extra 200 Euros to enter each day. I just want to warn you that this means longer lines for everything - especially at the Vatican and the Cathedrals because Rome had had to add a lot of security - X-ray and metal detectors, maybe body scans to go into the Vatican due to the terrorist threats. Some places, such as cathedrals and the Vatican will not allow you to bring a bag.

I think it may be a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that there will be 5 times as many tourists. From what I have read, Rome would normally expect around 16 million tourists in a year, but during the Jubilee year they are expecting 25 million. Yes, a huge increase -- but not five times!

I will be in Rome twice in 2016 and have not noticed any significantly increased prices for the hotel reservations (but I prudently made them early).