just off Carib. Princess-vs Celebrity and Royal as a line

ddled

Just finished our first Princess cruise on Caribbean out of Houston. Have cruised 20 times mostly on royal and Celebrity. Diamond and Elite levels. Generally Princess is very comparable to Celebrity and a huge step up from the current Royal product. In no particular order:

Food-good on both, more variety on Celebrity in buffet, Princess better than Royal, dining room about the same. Crown Grill on Princess a better value than anything on the other 2.

ENTERTAINMENT- Much better on Princess. We dance a lot, and there were 3 floors on Princess that we used a lot-very good music, wood floors. Theater was better too, although the theater on CB was too small, hard to get a seat.

SERVICE-great on both, on all aspects.

ROOM SERVICE-better food on Royal, with more choices

Other- we really enjoyed the Princess line. we had an anniversary and they did make it special-cake, balloons and signs. Had to pay for the cake in Royal, X messed it up once and lost it. There was less pushing drinks and other income streams on Princess. More peaceful. The MUTS screen was great-being copied by Royal and X. Better movies on Princess by far. Drinks were cheaper on Princess, may have been a little smaller, but not enough to matter, and may not even have been. Workers seemed happy on Princess, ship was clean, and well organized with more to do than you could. Bigger Cruise staff meant more activities. Princess reminded me of what Royal used to be like, before all the cuts and emphasis towards kids and young families. Celebrity and Princess very close. It was a kick to watch reruns of Love Boat in the cabin-I know-kind of corny! Fewer speciality restaurants in Princess meant more public space I think-it seemed that way-and I like that. The Princess Patter was sometimes wrong about times and needed a better editor. The dancers were the best we have seen in a long time. HOuston is a very nice port to sail out of-too bad they are leaving. Parking was right there-no need for a shuttle. I would sail Princess without any reservations-if the price was the same and they went where I want to go-would choose either X or Princess over the new Royal. Have one last cruise booked on Royal in Oct., with friends and that will be it. Hope to be on Princess again, have a Baltic booked on X.

PORTS Mahogany Bay- a Carnival island,was a very nice beach with a neat chairlift ride to get there. The shopping at the pier in Cozumel was about all most people will need-very nice. At Belize we went on an airboat ride and it was a lot of fun.

Even a bad cruise is better than no cruise-this one was very good and we enjoyed Princess a lot:)

Have to agree not much between Princess and Celebrity.

In fact as much difference, in my opinion, between to Princess ships and a Celebrity ship and a Princess ship.

Each does a few things better than the other.

Good to know, thank you both. I've never sailed on any other line but Princess because my parents started sailing with Princess in the early 70's so it was only natural that I chose Princess. Cruising is so different than it was when I first started cruising.

Good to know, thank you both. I've never sailed on any other line but Princess because my parents started sailing with Princess in the early 70's so it was only natural that I chose Princess. Cruising is so different than it was when I first started cruising.

We too started on Princess and that me be why we look there first. Plus the fact that here gratuities are included in the fare (as arevPort fees nd taxes) and on board charges are in Aus$.

But there are a few things each does better.

Mrs Gut loves the Aqua Spa Cafe on celebrity with the healthier choices of fruit, salads, juices etc.

Thanks for posting. We haven't sailed on RCI since 1998. Once we tried Celebrity, then Princess, then HAL, we knew we wouldn't go back. But my brother and his wife have enjoyed their RCI cruises. They're leaving again this week.

We were on the same sailing on the CB. As a Diamond on RCCL and Elite on Celebrity and Platinum on Princess, I think your comparisons were right on target. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the CB and are very sad that they are leaving Houston.

We always take a Vista suite on Princess and a Grand Suite on RCCL and each has good perks. We love the free laundry on Princess, but could do without the corsage. The free mini bar set up is nice on Princess, but the Concierge Lounge with free alcoholic beverages and canapes has Princess Elite lounge beat by a mile. If you don't like the offering on Princess such as anything tartare or flatbread then you are out of luck AND you have to pay $5.00 for a drink. We did enjoy the complimentary dining in Crown Grill on the first night on Princess and LOVED Breakfast at Sabatini's. But, RCCL does offer breakfast and lunch in Chops.

Between the Concierge (Suite) lounge and the drinks loaded onto our cards for being Diamond, and access to the Diamond Lounge too, RCCL is the better suite deal if for us. We are booked for Jan. 2017 on RCCL and got a GS for $300 per person less than we paid for the V6 on Princess.

Edited by DebJ14