Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

LMaxwell

Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

I've created a poll above with two choices; yes and no, to try to keep things simple. Would you pay a surcharge for a dining room, or walled off section of the dining room, that was mandatory formal only? It would still be dining room service and menu, but clearly partitioned. This does not mean you can only dress formally in this section; you can dress formal on the beach for all anyone cares, but it does mean strictly no admittance without formal wear.

Write in: If you answered yes please indicate how much you would pay for this, say, per person per night.

If I want to wear my tuxedo I'll wear my tuxedo, I don't need a special designated room for that.

Never.

Select another cruise line if you want to be in a room where everyone has to dress up. Celebrity is no longer that cruise line.

They had better be quick with the "other" cruise lines, pretty sure it will not be long before they go the same way and then I might just try them!

I have never felt dressing up was compulsory. I never have subscribed to the idea of telling others to "go elsewhere"; I think that is the height of rudeness to tell someone they are not entitled to the MDR meal and service they have paid for. I would never pay extra for a segregated dining area. *IF* I chose to bring formal wear, I'd wear it wherever I felt like dining.

But there does seem to be a vocal minority who still demand others play along on theme night so I was curious how many would put their money where their mouth was and pay a premium for an environment that would be what they claim to want; strict adherence to a rigid dress policy. It appears so far, although the poll is not old, that the minority is very small.

My husband and I dress up for formal night/elegant night/whatever they're calling it these days, mostly because I like to get use out of those cocktail dresses I've bought to wear to the company holiday parties.

BUT, no way would I pay extra for the dubious privilege of not having to look at people who choose not to dress up.

(Yes, I occasionally notice when men aren't wearing a tie or jacket, but it's not because I object; it's because I hope my hubby doesn't notice and subsequently put up a stink about me making him wear a suit :o )

But really, I have to ask myself "why is there even formal night, anymore?" And I have to answer myself, "so the cruise line can sell photos!"

I mean, honestly, when do most folks get photos taken, and which ones are they most likely to spring for?

Edited by srlafleur

Isn't that Aqua class? Or specialty dining?

No. Smart casual is always the requested attire in those venues.

I would not pay additional to be in a formal-only environment, but sounds like a great new revenue stream that would cost them nothing to implement! :D

Never.

Select another cruise line if you want to be in a room where everyone has to dress up. Celebrity is no longer that cruise line.

You do realize that the poll is for a separate dining room that you pay extra and people opting for it would do it voluntarily right? :rolleyes:

My husband and I dress up for formal night/elegant night/whatever they're calling it these days, mostly because I like to get use out of those cocktail dresses I've bought to wear to the company holiday parties.

BUT, no way would I pay extra for the dubious privilege of not having to look at people who choose not to dress up.

(Yes, I occasionally notice when men aren't wearing a tie or jacket, but it's not because I object; it's because I hope my hubby doesn't notice and subsequently put up a stink about me making him wear a suit :o )

But really, I have to ask myself "why is there even formal night, anymore?" And I have to answer myself, "so the cruise line can sell photos!"

I mean, honestly, when do most folks get photos taken, and which ones are they most likely to spring for?

Exactly right but many here just don't realize the cruise lines could give 2 figs what anyone wears on any night. Formal night has ALWAYS been about selling photo's and nothing more.....just as wine tastings are about selling bottles of wine and NOT about having you experience a new wine, just like most of the other "activities" onboard a cruise ship....

No, but I'm all for charging those who thumb their noses at dressing appropriately for the venue and the rules for the night. Consider it a fine.

The reality is that smart casual is acceptable every night in every venue currently. That means any pair of pants and a polo shirt on a guy more than meets the requirement, as does a sundress on a lady. So not sure why you think people should be charged. Seems an alternative surcharge formal wear only dining room would be up your alley despite your "no".

I am surprised that you would want to make another venue for Celebrity to charge guests more money. If you want to dress in formal attire, do it. Do not insist that other guests dress in formal attire.

If I want to dress in formal attire, I will, and not pay extra as I am not bothered by those around me. However, some ARE quite disturbed by those around them (see the poster above). I see no reason a venue could not be created that suits their wishes of having everyone dress to a higher standard level. If they are willing to pay the luggage fees perhaps they are willing to pay for a private enclave too. It is all about choice and options. Since I refuse to submit to other guests telling me what to do I feel it is only fair to offer them more choices that meet their desires. It would remain an option and not mandatory, but if you take the option you know the expectation and requirement.

You do realize that the poll is for a separate dining room that you pay extra and people opting for it would do it voluntarily right? :rolleyes:

that is correct. optional to participate, but if you participate and pay you do so with the understanding that a certain environment is established. It's still MDR menus and service.

Exactly right but many here just don't realize the cruise lines could give 2 figs what anyone wears on any night. Formal night has ALWAYS been about selling photo's and nothing more.....just as wine tastings are about selling bottles of wine and NOT about having you experience a new wine, just like most of the other "activities" onboard a cruise ship....

Sure, the cruise lines have inventive and subtle ways of generating sales onboard, but I think there was far more to formal nights than selling photos. I think Celebrity attracted a cruiser that was interested in a certain atmosphere a touch of class as opposed to the Carnival's party atmosphere or NCL's easy breezy approach.

I think it is nice to go to dine and not see people in T shirts with adverting, flip flops and jeans torn or with holes.

Haven't cruised yet with the new and more relaxed policy, but it hope it doesn't bring in the grunge look.

I voted no, but I REALLY hope they do this. First because I like to see people get what they want but mostly because the pyrotechnics in threads complaining about people who don't dress formal enough in an extra charge venue will be spectacular! :D

Wonder if the "Non-Formalites" would pay for a non formal restaurant?

Works both ways.

already did, for years we ate in Specialty on formal nights (paid extra) or booked Blu (they dropped formal in late 2011)

Actually didn't have a problem with the old formal nights as we had plenty of options.

Our last cruise in December was "Chic" nights... plenty of tuxes around.

In the past we have paid NOT to attend the MDR on formal nights. We either dine in at an alternate non formal pay venue or we try the buffet.

NO interest whatsoever in attending formal night on Celebrity or any other cruise line.

Seems to me the results of this poll mirrors what we have been observing on various cruise lines for at least the past five years.

Celebrity, in our opinion, has hit on the right formula for dining.

Edited by iancal

Sure, the cruise lines have inventive and subtle ways of generating sales onboard, but I think there was far more to formal nights than selling photos. I think Celebrity attracted a cruiser that was interested in a certain atmosphere a touch of class as opposed to the Carnival's party atmosphere or NCL's easy breezy approach.

I think it is nice to go to dine and not see people in T shirts with adverting, flip flops and jeans torn or with holes.

Haven't cruised yet with the new and more relaxed policy, but it hope it doesn't bring in the grunge look.

Of course every line including Carnival did many things to "enhance" formal night to make people feel like it was a "special" evening...and what do people want to do to remember that special evening? Why take photo's of course, its ALL about the marketing to move you towards those purchases and you are right X did it better than most.

Now with all of the "new" revenue generators like specialty dining, charging for upgrades to room service and the dozens of others that have appeared in the last 7 or 8 years the photo revenue was less important and GUESS WHAT???? X and others gave in to customer demand and POOF, Formal night disappears, funny how that works....

Like so many other former Celebrity cruisers, why not switch to Oceania where there is no charge for specialty restaurants (that are actually special) and the food is so much better in all venues.

Plus the recommended dress onboard Oceania is resort or country club casual = no dress polls needed over on the Oceania board. :)