Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

LMaxwell

Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

Sure, the cruise lines have inventive and subtle ways of generating sales onboard, but I think there was far more to formal nights than selling photos. I think Celebrity attracted a cruiser that was interested in a certain atmosphere a touch of class as opposed to the Carnival's party atmosphere or NCL's easy breezy approach.

I think it is nice to go to dine and not see people in T shirts with adverting, flip flops and jeans torn or with holes.

Haven't cruised yet with the new and more relaxed policy, but it hope it doesn't bring in the grunge look.

For all those who comment on Carnival's supposedly casual or party atmosphere, let's not forget that their stated dress code for their "Cruise Elegant" nights is stricter than Celebrity's. Their specifically guides no jeans, does suggest dress shirts and slacks and does suggestions (although does not require) a sport jacket or blazer, and does also suggest suit or tux for men.. However Celebrity's supoosedly more formal cruise line specially mentions Jens being OK for their Evening Chic... Go figure that the "party" or "casual" line of Carnival has a stricter dress guideline than Celebrity..https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/dress-requirements-for-dining.

For all those who comment on Carnival's supposedly casual or party atmosphere, let's not forget that their stated dress code for their "Cruise Elegant" nights is stricter than Celebrity's. Their specifically guides no jeans, does suggest dress shirts and slacks and does suggestions (although does not require) a sport jacket or blazer, and does also suggest suit or tux for men.. However Celebrity's supoosedly more formal cruise line specially mentions Jens being OK for their Evening Chic... Go figure that the "party" or "casual" line of Carnival has a stricter dress guideline than Celebrity..https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/dress-requirements-for-dining.

I was on a Carnival cruise last month and what they publish on their website and what is published onboard does not match. Jeans are not on the prohibited list onboard the ship; the website is more strict than onboard.

However, on longer Carnivals "Journeys" cruises they will have both Elegant night AND a separate designated Formal night (both).

FWIW; while I didn't wear jeans (didn't bring any) I dressed how I would for evening chic/gala/formal night elsewhere. Some were dressed nicer, some dressed worse. Only caught a few glimpses as we walked in. Then I simply didn't notice what other people did. Certainly didn't care.

Edited by LMaxwell

I've only seen 1 yes vote that indicated the price they would pay for a private area.

Anyone else willing to put a dollar figure on this?

I'm not sure what it's worth for MDR food and atmosphere. As of late, we rarely go to the MDR as it is. While we dress formal on formal nights, we usually end up in a specialty restaurant for a better meal and of course atmosphere. I would absolutely pay extra if they reserved a specialty dining spot for formal attire.

Of course every line including Carnival did many things to "enhance" formal night to make people feel like it was a "special" evening...and what do people want to do to remember that special evening? Why take photo's of course, its ALL about the marketing to move you towards those purchases and you are right X did it better than most.

Now with all of the "new" revenue generators like specialty dining, charging for upgrades to room service and the dozens of others that have appeared in the last 7 or 8 years the photo revenue was less important and GUESS WHAT???? X and others gave in to customer demand and POOF, Formal night disappears, funny how that works....

Sheriff, I guess that I am just not as cynical. Are you aware of any source that would have details on what is X's revenue from onboard sales?

I am sure that sales of alcoholic drinks is significant. Also, there is likely profit from sales of excursions. Art sales and photos, would not seem to be that significant, of course we have never purchased art and very, very few photos.

I was on a Carnival cruise last month and what they publish on their website and what is published onboard does not match. Jeans are not on the prohibited list onboard the ship; the website is more strict than onboard.

However, on longer Carnivals "Journeys" cruises they will have both Elegant night AND a separate designated Formal night (both).

FWIW; while I didn't wear jeans (didn't bring any) I dressed how I would for evening chic/gala/formal night elsewhere. Some were dressed nicer, some dressed worse. Only caught a few glimpses as we walked in. Then I simply didn't notice what other people did. Certainly didn't care.

So is the Celebrity website, depending on where you look. Some parts of Celebrity's site still list formal nights with requisite dress guidelines while other area have Evening Chic with that requisite suggestions... Go figure.

Why have such a poll? Why pay a surcharge for a specialty restaurant (particularly if it's not much more than an Olive Garden)? Like so many other former Celebrity cruisers, why not switch to Oceania where there is no charge for specialty restaurants (that are actually special) and the food is so much better in all venues.

Could be pricing

7 day Caribbean cruise departing Miami, December 2016, veranda:

Oceania: $2549 + port & taxes

Celebrity: $999 + port &taxes

You had better be getting something better for $1500 per person.

Sheriff, I guess that I am just not as cynical. Are you aware of any source that would have details on what is X's revenue from onboard sales?

I am sure that sales of alcoholic drinks is significant. Also, there is likely profit from sales of excursions. Art sales and photos, would not seem to be that significant, of course we have never purchased art and very, very few photos.

I don't have access to specific revenue numbers but what is obvious is that say 10 or so years ago there were MUCH less revenue generators than there are now so any 1 specific revenue generator say like photo's on formal night are MUCH LESS important now than they were 10 years ago.

Drinks sales always have been and I would guess always will be one of the major revenue sources onboard any ship but something like Formal Night that so many are against these days with its portrait revenue is a much easier revenue source to get rid of and even then many will still choose to get the portraits regardless.

I don't have access to specific revenue numbers but what is obvious is that say 10 or so years ago there were MUCH less revenue generators than there are now so any 1 specific revenue generator say like photo's on formal night are MUCH LESS important now than they were 10 years ago.

Drinks sales always have been and I would guess always will be one of the major revenue sources onboard any ship but something like Formal Night that so many are against these days with its portrait revenue is a much easier revenue source to get rid of and even then many will still choose to get the portraits regardless.

Onboard revenue across all brands was 27% of their total revenue. Their was a 45 million dollar increase over 2013. 2015 numbers are not available

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Could be pricing

7 day Caribbean cruise departing Miami, December 2016, veranda:

Oceania: $2549 + port & taxes

Celebrity: $999 + port &taxes

You had better be getting something better for $1500 per person.

Port fees & taxes are included in the Oceania rate. Generally the air is also. SO, that puts it little closer, all drinks except alcohol, all specialty restaurants, and a good TA will generally cover the grats.

I said no to a surcharge, but like the idea of a venue on formal night where the attire is the more traditional formal wear.

If that was offered, I would consider it.

Now as I type, a surcharge might be appropriate if it included a Speciality type menu, maybe some live music or some form of appropriate entertainment as a thought.

I don't think this is a fair question . Why would anyone pay extra just for the "privilege" of dressing up ?

A more interesting question might be, would you pay a premium to dress formal when offered something extra/different . Could be special desserts , live music provided , an interesting location (dining under the stars ?) or whatever . How about taking over bistro on five ? Nothing is ever happening there . :rolleyes:

The question is would you pay a premium for a different sort of formal experience .

Edited by richstowe

I don't think this is a fair question . Why would anyone pay extra just for the "privilege" of dressing up ?

A more interesting question might be, would you pay a premium to dress formal when offered something extra/different . Could be special desserts , live music provided , an interesting location (dining under the stars ?) or whatever . How about taking over bistro on five ? Nothing is ever happening there . :rolleyes:

The question is would you pay a premium for a different sort of formal experience .

Or the question could be would you pay a surcharge to not have to dress formal?

I think my question was fair. Some would pay extra because they want to be guaranteed to be amongst those dressed similarly. Some express that how others dress (or don't dress) can have severe negative repercussions on their enjoyment. This would remove all the negativity for them. It guarantees the experience they want.

BUT, that said, I also like your question and your ideas. I think you raise good points.

Or the question could be would you pay a surcharge to not have to dress formal?

Some have done that already by going to specialty dining which is always smart casual, even when formal night existed. But, they did get the benefit of a quieter, more intimate setting, different menu, etc.

Some have done that already by going to specialty dining which is always smart casual, even when formal night existed. But, they did get the benefit of a quieter, more intimate setting, different menu, etc.
On my single Aqua class experience , I was surprised and amused to find that almost every man wore a jacket or suit in Blu on formal nights even though they were not obliged to . I can't explain why we did this . Perhaps a psychologist could explain it .:D

On my single Aqua class experience , I was surprised and amused to find that almost every man wore a jacket or suit in Blu on formal nights even though they were not obliged to . I can't explain why we did this . Perhaps a psychologist could explain it .:D

I would argue that it stems from the Formal night dress codes including more than the MDR, as it was also in the theatre and public areas on decks 3,4 and 5 (ship dependent).

Edited by MicCanberra

DWhit, if only these formal night / formal wear topics would end! They have really lowered my opinion of Cruise Critic. I can only hope that those who have a need to dress up excessively on their vacations vote with their dollars and book their future cruises on a more formal line than Celebrity! :)

I would never pay extra to dress formally.

I did my first cruise in January since the change and for evening chic folks were dressed very casually (jeans, short sleeve shirts, no ties) up to a few (I saw one woman in a gown and one man in a tux {not her husband}) formally dressed and you know what, the food tasted just as good, as if were the old formal night.

If someone wants to dress formally, they should and it shouldn't matter what others are wearing.

I did my first cruise in January since the change and for evening chic folks were dressed very casually (jeans, short sleeve shirts, no ties) up to a few (I saw one woman in a gown and one man in a tux {not her husband}) formally dressed and you know what, the food tasted just as good, as if were the old formal night.

If someone wants to dress formally, they should and it shouldn't matter what others are wearing.

Agree.

Yes, agreed, I still dressed formally on our last cruise along with our friends as we were looking forward to it as an occasion. I am not sure if there were many more than a handful of others that did likewise, the evening lacked a bit of ambiance around the ship but the food was good and the night was fun.

No I wouldn't pay extra too dress up since people people don't now pay extra to dress down. But I would like it if Celebrity included a formal dining room (FDR) for the many that do like to dress for dinner and want the ambiance of a formal dining experience shared with like minded passengers. This way people who like to dress casual can eat in the MDR and those who like to dress formal can dine in the FDR.

This would both please both schools of thought on dressing for dinner when cruising.

Edited by aquafemme