Our Breakaway Review 1/17 to 1/31

FranknBeans

Very Dissappointed

First let me say that the crew from specialty restaurants to room steward and many others were at there best, they couldn't do enough.

The washy washy folks had an on board guest who played guitar so they all had a jamming session quite often through the cruise at lunch and were quite good as seen by the crowd gathering.

We did get off at St. Thomas shopping for booze prices at the pier but was told that Martinque was the better place, we were told this by a on board duty free staff member, but he was wrong St Thomas had the better prices. Having said that for those that don't know NCL on board store will match booze prices just use your camera and take pic bring back to ship. While it's not advertised like it was on the Epic in the early years. As it turned out NCL had the cheapest price of $22.00 for 2 bottle's of Captain Morgan spiced rum. As a side note I just saw our price in Canada one bottle is $38.15 each which is discounted $1.50. I also noticed that they didn't discount liquor on the first sea night before the first port to grab business but they did have a small sample tasting.

We did get off in St Maarten to watch the planes come in but there wasn't much action due to snow storm through out the US.

Martinque was the first time for this port so we just walked around and found all the interesting sites on our own including their amazing fruit/veg/ spice market. Ended up buying a bunch of vanilla beans. This port is the cleanness Caribbean port we've ever been to, just impeccable as were the locals and very pleasant and helpful.

Didn't get off at the other ports as we've been to them many time’s before with the exception of St Kitts where we did the train tour which I highly recommend. You can only do this tour through the cruise as NCL gets it blocked for the day and runs numerous tours. It was a nice relaxing scenic tour being able to see the coast and the local neighbor hoods along the way, they served alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks and bottled water twice through out the ride. They also had three local teens singing a song from train car to train car. Would really recommend this tour.

Entertainment/shows we did not do as was not a priority on this cruise for us and when you've seen the full blown Cirque Shows in Vegas the ships are anti climatic for us but I'm sue others plus kids enjoy the ship version. However we did stick our head into Fat Cats took a seat and immediately left as the venue is very small and the first note hit on the guitar sent us running as just way too loud for such a small venue. I would recommend taking ear plugs.

Dining we only ate at the specialty restaurants as we’ve always done on our NCL cruises, for us its about having a relaxing quiet dinner, so we thought! Le Bistro we were shocked at the size and noise inside so we chose to sit out in the open the rest of times, this restaurant is our fav so we ate here 4 times. Great food great service.

Cagney’s we tried to sit on the waterfront but the loudness screaming from one drunken table to the next was a really a disappointment to say the least. We ate here three times.

Lu Cucina was the same as LeBistro and Cagney’s with obnoxious drunken folks being extremely loud and just flippin annoying. The food and service was as expected.

Moderno’s I ate only the salad bar as it’s just top notch with items I don’t get at home such as hearts of palm, the best lobster bisque and many others. To me its worth the price alone.

My partner ate the meat and such but found it very very salty, same as we found on the Epic.

The service was all over the place with no one paying attention to the color of card showing and the main waiter seems to be falling over his feet while serving us and other table’s near by. But all was ok with us as we work in the service industry and we just wanted to take our time.

Tipping we have always tipped in the specialty restaurants as the service has always been top notch but because we paid a 18% grat up front we chose NOT to tip on this cruise.

Comments it’s clear that two sailing’s on large ships that they are not for us. Too many people, you need to almost push people out of the way as they stand in a group blocking the corridors all around the main area’s.

Second reason it that the amount of drinking on board is just out of control and non stop which no doubt can be blamed on the UBP . The more they drank the louder, obnoxious, stupider and falling over happened and lets not forget throwing up which we witnessed twice.

We have done many cruise’s with NCL and never saw the open bars so busy as they were on this cruise . Also people with two drinks in their hand. Which brings be to another point about the lack of control management have over the amt of drinks one can purchase/consume and any one time. We also witnessed a regular bartender in the Vibe the bartender was taking tips for making more than one drink at a time in fact he was making four for one person who then spread them around to friends, who no doubt didn’t have the pkg. We also saw the same person buy more drinks for a different bunch a day or two later. Tis went on clearly for the last week. All these folks started to converse loudly from one end of the Vibe to the other including from the soup stock pots. They were annoying, obnoxious and just sheer rude and didn’t care that there were a handful of others that just wanted to read, relax, sleep and soak up the sun.

I thought the reason of purchasing the Vibe pass was to get away from all the craziness.

Lastly and most concerning was at the officer’s Q&A session held about the second to last day. Many questions and favorable comments were exchanged and one person had asked how the DSC was divided up and the question was answered, however later on when someone asked about how the 18% gratuities we dived up and Prem the hotel director chose NOT to answer saying its none of our business, when pushed he said that NCL was a public company and there fore didn’t have to answer the question. I was glad this question had been asked as the subject has been discussed here on CC with people saying (including myself) that when staff on board were asked about the new grat’s they new nothing about it and some folks even chalked it up to the staff just saying that so they get more tips. Others can read into this however they feel!

Then I got my turn and mentioned the out of control drinking and Prem said that the bartenders are suppose to monitor the drinking. When I asked the question a few in the audience agreed by applauding. And a woman behind me said NCL should build some jail cells. Perhaps were going to have to wait till a couple folks fall overboard or someone falls down the atrium staircase.

Bottom line I think we are done cruising unless we can find another line that doesn’t have the UBP. Don’t take me wrong as we did our share of drinking in the restaurants and in our cabin using bar service which we had ordered before we boarded.

Thank you for your review and insights, it was very helpful and somewhat discouraging, sorry to say.

I am not one bit surprised to hear of many loud, drunken groups onboard, as the drink package has been extended to just about every passenger on the ship! I have to wonder how NCL is making any money on this, since I thought alcohol sales were their primary money-maker.

I will be sailing the end of this month on Breakaway, with a drink and dining package, like everyone else! I am keeping an open mind, hoping for the best.

The one thing that made me happy in your review was reading that Moderno still offers that amazing lobster bisque soup! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your review!!!

I was also on this cruise, and published my review on the CC members reviews section. In my review, while I had a great time in general, I didn't comment on the behavior of some fellow passenger's, but I have to agree with this observation somewhat....

What annoyed me in particular, were some inconsiderate obnoxious drunks, that found it amusing to shout out answer's while some of us were participating in trivia, or name-that-tune games, thus spoiling it for those of us playing...:mad:

WE always cruise on Celebrity and never experience what you described. Our first cruise on Breakaway with our children and grandchildren(their first cruise ever) will be in April. Chose this cruise for fun for family. Hope I did not make a mistake.

Thanks for your warning.

maybe you should only cruise out of Florida. I have not run into these issues to the extent your claiming I have been on 2 of the mega ships during peak times and I only had random issues that were easily avoided. Note to self folks that sail out on the Breakaway like to party. I found your comment on crowds spot on on all the large ships I agree if you like to get into the thick of whats going on prepare for crowds. UBP is not the problem here it is the folks that have it. Stinks you had a bad time like I said I have sailed out of all the Florida ports the crowds are more evened out.

Very Dissappointed

Then I got my turn and mentioned the out of control drinking and Prem said that the bartenders are suppose to monitor the drinking. When I asked the question a few in the audience agreed by applauding. And a woman behind me said NCL should build some jail cells. Perhaps were going to have to wait till a couple folks fall overboard or someone falls down the atrium staircase.

So, your blaming the cruise line for "Out of control drinking"? Maybe just maybe the people doing the drinking should monitor themselves;) And yes the ship does have a few jail cells. And FYI I did see a woman fall down the atrium stairs while having dinner at Le Bistro, it was very bad and believe it or not she was not drunk

Edited by Laszlo

So, your blaming the cruise line for "Out of control drinking"? Maybe just maybe the people doing the drinking should monitor themselves;) And yes the ship does have a few jail cells. And FYI I did see a woman fall down the atrium stairs while having dinner at Le Bistro, it was very bad and believe it or not she was not drunk

Establishments get the credit for the ambiance and decorum of their business which is impacted by the behavior of guests, so it follows that the opposite would be true. How many times is CCL villified because of the behavior of their guests? People blame companies all of the time for this, rightly or wrongly. If Del Rio wants a classier/more upscale line this is something that would need to be addressed, somehow (fortunately the how is not something that I need to figure out:)).

We were on this cruise also but didn't notice any of this. Had dinner in specialty restaurants 5 times and all were rather quiet dinners. Had a great time and in fact husband kept bugging me to go to guest services to see if there were staterooms available for the 1/31 cruise....

Establishments get the credit for the ambiance and decorum of their business which is impacted by the behavior of guests, so it follows that the opposite would be true. How many times is CCL villified because of the behavior of their guests? People blame companies all of the time for this, rightly or wrongly. If Del Rio wants a classier/more upscale line this is something that would need to be addressed, somehow (fortunately the how is not something that I need to figure out:)).

It was confirmed to via via email here is what I rec'd

Prem told me that was guiet rowdy crowd on here last cruise.

I am on here now and it seem to be different Guest demographic.

Hawaii will be deffinately different experience when it comes to Guest demographic.

This was from a VP who will remain nameless.

Thanks for your feed back, much appreciated.

And to those that ate in specialty dining that said they had no problems is maybe because the drunks eat earlier so that they can sleep it off then start over.

Edited by FranknBeans

So, your blaming the cruise line for "Out of control drinking"? Maybe just maybe the people doing the drinking should monitor themselves;) And yes the ship does have a few jail cells. And FYI I did see a woman fall down the atrium stairs while having dinner at Le Bistro, it was very bad and believe it or not she was not drunk[/quote]

Absolutely blaming cruise company. Establishments back home are responsible for there patrons drinking as is the bartender and have been known to be fined/charged as was the establishment. It's for the safety of other guests as well as staff and themselves.

As for woman falling that's an interesting comment as Le Bistro is located at the bottom of stairs and across the foyer.

Which brings be to another point about the lack of control management have over the amt of drinks one can purchase/consume and any one time. We also witnessed a regular bartender in the Vibe the bartender was taking tips for making more than one drink at a time in fact he was making four for one person who then spread them around to friends, who no doubt didn’t have the pkg. We also saw the same person buy more drinks for a different bunch a day or two later.

Based on what you described, I wouldn't assume that the people receiving drinks didn't have the UBP. In my experience, the bar staff are fairly smart when it comes to ensuring proper use of the UBP, and I'd be surprised if tipping would change that.

Very few (if any) bartenders will swipe each individual card when a group is ordering. They usually ensure everyone in the group has UBP, and then swipe a single card for all the drinks. Fast forward a few rounds, and the bartender is now familiar with the group and won't bother re-checking everyone's card for each order. In the situation you described, it's quite possible that the group was simplifying the order by sending one person, and the fact that they were tipping further indicates they may just have been looking out for the staff.

I'm not saying that abuse wasn't occurring, I just wouldn't assume it. You would have seen very similar transactions with any group I've traveled with, and we've all had UBP.

I agree that an obnoxious few can have a significant negative impact on others. I only encountered one situation on my recent Escape sailing, and that was someone who thought he was the headliner at the comedy club, which made for a frustrating set.

Very Dissappointed

First let me say that the crew from specialty restaurants to room steward and many others were at there best, they couldn't do enough.

The washy washy folks had an on board guest who played guitar so they all had a jamming session quite often through the cruise at lunch and were quite good as seen by the crowd gathering.

We did get off at St. Thomas shopping for booze prices at the pier but was told that Martinque was the better place, we were told this by a on board duty free staff member, but he was wrong St Thomas had the better prices. Having said that for those that don't know NCL on board store will match booze prices just use your camera and take pic bring back to ship. While it's not advertised like it was on the Epic in the early years. As it turned out NCL had the cheapest price of $22.00 for 2 bottle's of Captain Morgan spiced rum. As a side note I just saw our price in Canada one bottle is $38.15 each which is discounted $1.50. I also noticed that they didn't discount liquor on the first sea night before the first port to grab business but they did have a small sample tasting.

We did get off in St Maarten to watch the planes come in but there wasn't much action due to snow storm through out the US.

Martinque was the first time for this port so we just walked around and found all the interesting sites on our own including their amazing fruit/veg/ spice market. Ended up buying a bunch of vanilla beans. This port is the cleanness Caribbean port we've ever been to, just impeccable as were the locals and very pleasant and helpful.

Didn't get off at the other ports as we've been to them many time’s before with the exception of St Kitts where we did the train tour which I highly recommend. You can only do this tour through the cruise as NCL gets it blocked for the day and runs numerous tours. It was a nice relaxing scenic tour being able to see the coast and the local neighbor hoods along the way, they served alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks and bottled water twice through out the ride. They also had three local teens singing a song from train car to train car. Would really recommend this tour.

Entertainment/shows we did not do as was not a priority on this cruise for us and when you've seen the full blown Cirque Shows in Vegas the ships are anti climatic for us but I'm sue others plus kids enjoy the ship version. However we did stick our head into Fat Cats took a seat and immediately left as the venue is very small and the first note hit on the guitar sent us running as just way too loud for such a small venue. I would recommend taking ear plugs.

Dining we only ate at the specialty restaurants as we’ve always done on our NCL cruises, for us its about having a relaxing quiet dinner, so we thought! Le Bistro we were shocked at the size and noise inside so we chose to sit out in the open the rest of times, this restaurant is our fav so we ate here 4 times. Great food great service.

Cagney’s we tried to sit on the waterfront but the loudness screaming from one drunken table to the next was a really a disappointment to say the least. We ate here three times.

Lu Cucina was the same as LeBistro and Cagney’s with obnoxious drunken folks being extremely loud and just flippin annoying. The food and service was as expected.

Moderno’s I ate only the salad bar as it’s just top notch with items I don’t get at home such as hearts of palm, the best lobster bisque and many others. To me its worth the price alone.

My partner ate the meat and such but found it very very salty, same as we found on the Epic.

The service was all over the place with no one paying attention to the color of card showing and the main waiter seems to be falling over his feet while serving us and other table’s near by. But all was ok with us as we work in the service industry and we just wanted to take our time.

Tipping we have always tipped in the specialty restaurants as the service has always been top notch but because we paid a 18% grat up front we chose NOT to tip on this cruise.

Comments it’s clear that two sailing’s on large ships that they are not for us. Too many people, you need to almost push people out of the way as they stand in a group blocking the corridors all around the main area’s.

Second reason it that the amount of drinking on board is just out of control and non stop which no doubt can be blamed on the UBP . The more they drank the louder, obnoxious, stupider and falling over happened and lets not forget throwing up which we witnessed twice.

We have done many cruise’s with NCL and never saw the open bars so busy as they were on this cruise . Also people with two drinks in their hand. Which brings be to another point about the lack of control management have over the amt of drinks one can purchase/consume and any one time. We also witnessed a regular bartender in the Vibe the bartender was taking tips for making more than one drink at a time in fact he was making four for one person who then spread them around to friends, who no doubt didn’t have the pkg. We also saw the same person buy more drinks for a different bunch a day or two later. Tis went on clearly for the last week. All these folks started to converse loudly from one end of the Vibe to the other including from the soup stock pots. They were annoying, obnoxious and just sheer rude and didn’t care that there were a handful of others that just wanted to read, relax, sleep and soak up the sun.

I thought the reason of purchasing the Vibe pass was to get away from all the craziness.

Lastly and most concerning was at the officer’s Q&A session held about the second to last day. Many questions and favorable comments were exchanged and one person had asked how the DSC was divided up and the question was answered, however later on when someone asked about how the 18% gratuities we dived up and Prem the hotel director chose NOT to answer saying its none of our business, when pushed he said that NCL was a public company and there fore didn’t have to answer the question. I was glad this question had been asked as the subject has been discussed here on CC with people saying (including myself) that when staff on board were asked about the new grat’s they new nothing about it and some folks even chalked it up to the staff just saying that so they get more tips. Others can read into this however they feel!

Bottom line I think we are done cruising unless we can find another line that doesn’t have the UBP. Don’t take me wrong as we did our share of drinking in the restaurants and in our cabin using bar service which we had ordered before we boarded.

Thank you for your review. I've sailed Breakaway twice, next time being in August.

Funny you said about the UBP. My inlaws, who are seasoned cruisers were on your same sailing. They are 70 and 73. They sail usually Holland America and NCL. This was, I think, their 3-4 time on Breakaway. They had a great cruise but my mother in law said a few times she could not believe "how many old people were drunk". She is 70. Maybe those that got it didn't want to waste their money LOL

Happy sailings for your next voyage!

Edited by js

That's a good point....those that either purchased or received a comp UBP, may feel inclined to "get their monies worth" from it, and drink far in excess of what they would if they had to pay those inflated drink prices.

And the bartender's are probably more tolerant serving inebriated customer's than say an establishment on land, since they don't have to worry about them driving later, and also because the company does not want to anger customer's by refusing service.

Whatever, I doubt they will eliminate the UPB, because it is extremely popular, and a strong sales incentive....

That's a good point....those that either purchased or received a comp UBP, may feel inclined to "get their monies worth" from it, and drink far in excess of what they would if they had to pay those inflated drink prices.

And the bartender's are probably more tolerant serving inebriated customer's than say an establishment on land, since they don't have to worry about them driving later, and also because the company does not want to anger customer's by refusing service.

Whatever, I doubt they will eliminate the UPB, because it is extremely popular, and a strong sales incentive....

We're sailing on the BA again in 3 weeks. Last time we sailed her we didn't notice any particularly loud or rowdy people - that was pre-UBP.

DH and I aren't big drinkers, but I'm sure we'll have a little more than we normally do just because we can!

We were on the same cruise and didn't see any rowdy drinks, yes there were a few people getting a bit loud at the bar but they were laughing and just enjoying themselves, from what I saw... And very easy for someone to fall down those stairs by le bistro....the blue lit up curved staircase can be difficult to navigate on a rocky ship....

a few months ago we were leaving the auditorium after a show and there was a woman "finishing" the half drank mixed drinks that people leave behind as she was leaving. I confronted her and asked what she was doing and she said " i'm the only one in our group without the Ultimate Booze Package" i told her that is a brilliant idea. she looked at me cross and exclaimed "don't even think of following me to the casino!!! that's the mother load" I grabbed her hand and we laughed and laughed...

a few months ago we were leaving the auditorium after a show and there was a woman "finishing" the half drank mixed drinks that people leave behind as she was leaving. I confronted her and asked what she was doing and she said " i'm the only one in our group without the Ultimate Booze Package" i told her that is a brilliant idea. she looked at me cross and exclaimed "don't even think of following me to the casino!!! that's the mother load" I grabbed her hand and we laughed and laughed...

I just threw up in my mouth a little....