Anthem - motion sickness ... Worried

Equisport

Hi,

So my mum went on the maiden voyage of anthem and loved it so when our friends announced they were getting married on the ship in March we booked , with the confidence of it being a huge ship I should feel little movement as I get sickness .... (Mum never mentioned any movement or creaking )

We are due to sail in 5 weeks and I've tried to avoid reading too much about the ship , until the recent event of the storm which I've now learnt that the ship moves .... A lot

I'm basically pooing my pants that I'm going to have a terrible vacation .

I'm from the Uk and our travel sickness tablets are not great so on my last US trip I bought some Dramamine tablets , which I tried once during a flight and it worked well ....

But now I'm worrying even those won't work , when I feel the movement I almost freak out as I know how it makes me feel when the sickness starts

Are there other options ??

I've tried ginger , U.K. Tablets, the pressure wrist bands etc ,

I've been on Epic and carnival inspiration and was ok on the epic but had a few bad days on inspiration .

Ok so I'll be honest... I do get a bit motion sick on the water sometimes. Just got off Anthem, and the worst of it will be the first day you leave and the last day back, as the water is the roughest the further north you get. Once you get far enough south you should be just fine.

You can get free meclizine tablets at the medical centre on the ship, take it before you start feeling sick. These worked perfectly for me, though they made me drowsy the first couple of hours after taking them. Rather be a bit sleepy than seasick though!

Thank you , I'm really worrying now , and I'm usually such a non worrying chilled person , I just know how bad it can make me feel.

I. I got take a selection of various tablets as a precautionary measure

What's the patches I hear about ? I don't think we get them in the uk

Another vote for Bonine (meclizine) and taking it 24 hours before you get on the ship if possible and then once a day during the cruise and a day or so after. The patches dont work for everyone and can have side effects for some. Bonine is the only thing that has worked for me in the past. Its suppose to be non drowsy or "less drowsy" than Dramamine but it can make you sleepy. Take it at night you will be fine :0

Edited by ryano

I get motion sick even riding in cars. I took Bonine (sold over the counter and similar to dramamine) and it worked great. I tried to skip one pill on one day because the seas were so calm....BIG MISTAKE. The boat started rocking that evening and I was green. So don't skip any pills!

My doctor also called me in a prescription for a patch called Scopolamine transderm that you wear behind your ear but I never used it. The pills worked fine.

Just to be on the safe side I'd suggest bringing along a package of adult diapers, aka: "Depends" just in case you poop yourself. Be prepared !

The North Atlantic can be ruthless especially in the winter months. Storms are plentiful.

The ship"Anthem" is much NARROWER and TALLER than, Freedom, Voyager, Radiance and Vision Class ships. And only Narrower than Oasis Class ships. Oasis Class ships have 18 decks while Quantum Class ships have 16 decks. Something to keep in mind when choosing which class of ship that you may want to consider having a little more piece of mind.

Some people don't mind being the weather while others would rather fly back home at their first port of call after a bad experience.

Another factor is where your cabin is located. Low and in the middle is the best place to be to find less motion.

I just laugh to myself about all the fools who pay extra to be on a high deck and aft (or forward) and then complain about motion sickness.

I'm from the Uk and get really bad motion sickness and I've been on Anthem to the Canaries via Bay of Biscay. ...... . Go along to your local pharmacy beginning with B..... And buy some sturgeron tablets and start taking them a couple of days before you travel and keep it up for the first few days at sea, That's what someone told me to do and I can honestly say I've been fine and we've been in some really rocky weather. if you do feel wobbly get up on deck the fresh air helps a lot .Theres lots of natural remedies like ginger and eating green apples but I'm sure you'll be fine and try not to think about it that can make it worse. Anthem is a fantastic ship you'll love her.

You can get free Meclizine tablets at the medical centre on the ship,

take it before you start feeling sick. ---> Sometimes available at Guest Services.

These worked perfectly for me,

though they made me drowsy the first couple of hours after taking them.

--------> Enjoy the free legal 'stone' :)

Rather be a bit sleepy than seasick though!

I also cruise with Ginger biscuits

and a 6-pack of Ginger Ale that goes straight into the cabin's little fridge.

At dinner, if we order a drink it'll be a Ginger Ale

but more than anything else, you are scaring yourself un-necessarily!

Edited by Aplmac

Hi,

So my mum went on the maiden voyage of anthem and loved it so when our friends announced they were getting married on the ship in March we booked , with the confidence of it being a huge ship I should feel little movement as I get sickness .... (Mum never mentioned any movement or creaking )

We are due to sail in 5 weeks and I've tried to avoid reading too much about the ship , until the recent event of the storm which I've now learnt that the ship moves .... A lot

I'm from the Uk and our travel sickness tablets are not great so on my last US trip I bought some Dramamine tablets , which I tried once during a flight and it worked well ....

But now I'm worrying even those won't work , when I feel the movement I almost freak out as I know how it makes me feel when the sickness starts

I've been on Epic and carnival inspiration and was ok on the epic but had a few bad days on inspiration .

Have a look !

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/national-international/Storm-Ravaged-Cruise-Ship-to-Arrive-at-NJ-Port-368330211.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CTBrand

Hi,

Maybe this will help...

The first time I cruised I brought only the wrist bands. As soon as the engines started and before the ship left the dock, I felt motion sickness and it impacted me the whole cruise. The wrist bands were of no help.

From then on I always brought Bonine and the patch which is Transderm-Scop (prescription name). The patch is worn for 3 days then replaced.

I still experienced motion sickness even with both of these aids but nothing like my first cruise.

I eventually added ginger tablets to the above mentioned two items. From the time I started with ginger tablets, I have never experienced motion sickness. I sailed back to Bayonne once, the final day no one was allowed outside, many were sick...I never felt any movement.

I just sailed on Anthem early January, again with all 3 aids though I only used the ginger. Again, I had no issue. The seas were relatively calm on my sailing.

I also felt very little movement of the ship while on Anthem, contrary to what others have posted. When we left two ports, I had no idea the ship had pulled away from the dock.

If you are mid ship on a lower deck, that is the most stable location. Aft cabins are preferable to forward ones for less motion.

Aside from one weekend major snow storm at the end of January, the Bayonne area has had very little snow/poor weather.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm in total agreement with the suggestion of being low and mid ship...BUT this is one time that pictures and video taken showed the 3rd deck which is Cat I,H and G under the water line most of the time. While this may be true I doubt there was any comfortable place to be found anywhere for those poor souls. On our Jan 15th 11 nighter that had a little drama causing us to have to stay another day at sea nothing compared to what they went through.

They will also have free medicine down in Medical. If you get really sick, you can get a shot which works great but it will cost you, we did the TA and my other half got very sick.

You can never know what your going to run into,can be smooth or rough. You can never predict what your going to get.

The ship got caught in a MAJOR storm...that is NOT the norm! You'll be fine!

Oh I dunno -- don't be too sure there .. RC said that last weeks storm "whipped up from outta nowhere ... and no one even .. even the captain! .. saw it coming in their wildest dreams..."

So this OP is really in for it, I bet ... its only a week later ... gird your loins, sweetie .. and get ready ... its gonna be a bumpy night !! :eek:

Another vote for Bonine (meclizine) and taking it 24 hours before you get on the ship if possible and then once a day during the cruise and a day or so after. The patches dont work for everyone and can have side effects for some. Bonine is the only thing that has worked for me in the past. Its suppose to be non drowsy or "less drowsy" than Dramamine but it can make you sleepy. Take it at night you will be fine :0

My wife and 2 daughters will take Bonine as well. It is a miracle drug for them. They take it either the night before or the morning of and then the same time each day. Even in ports. Do not skip a pill.

Does not make them sleepy and has worked every time. All 3 get motion sick in cars, even on short rides and they have no issue on cruises using Bonine.

Good luck!

I've taken Bonine on every cruise since my first one when I found out I get seasick fairly easily. I start with twice a day until we get down to the Caribbean and then once a day as long as seas are calm. Otherwise, I keep taking it twice a day. It works great. Even on our Mar 2014 GR cruise where we had 30 foot seas and ~80mph winds (yes that's hurricane force), while I felt nauseous for several hours, I never actually got sick because I just went to bed at 7 pm and slept til 7 am and when I woke up, the seas had calmed to 15 foot waves which we thought was great. Most of the motion that the ships usually get is side to side and that doesn't bother me at all. Everyone has their motion that will affect them and mine is pitching and rolling combined (mixed seas) which is what we had on GR. Just take Bonine (same as less drowsy Dramamine) and have a good time. I have no side effects at all and drinking doesn't make me drowsy either.