Specialty restaurant tipping

Captain k

Hello: sailing on the regal shortly and plan on enjoying both sabatinis and the crown grill. My question is are gratuities included, or should we tip and how much? Appreciate any input.

The tip is already covered with the surcharge but if you feel as though you want to tip over and above this amount (it isn't expected), I would say $10 - $20 for a party of 2, depending on the level of service you received is more than fair.

You've already tipped twice, where does it end? If you leave your auto gratuity intact you've tipped for that meal, and when you pay for the specialty you've tipped a second time. Of course it's your choice to tip a third time but I think you should be aware of how many times you've already tipped for that dinner.

I always leave $20 in cash. As been posted before, cash as that way the server keeps it all (that is if auto-tip is in place). If you merely add the tip to the "bill", the tip just gets tossed into the tip collective to be shared by all those workers who are covered, and your server sees pennies, or so.

You've already tipped twice, where does it end? If you leave your auto gratuity intact you've tipped for that meal, and when you pay for the specialty you've tipped a second time. Of course it's your choice to tip a third time but I think you should be aware of how many times you've already tipped for that dinner.

If we're in a suite we get our first night at the Crown Grille for free. I always throw a $20 down if the service was good..

We recently were on the Regal and dined one night in our favorite Sabatini's. We were told that the staff there were paid more than the regular food venues and tipping was not needed. They do not participate in the tip pool. Remember you are paying $25 each extra to dine there.

Certainy seems that way.

1. The waitstaff in the specialty restaurants are included in the "auto-tip" pool.

2. No part of the specialty restaurant surcharge is a tip.

3. If you do leave an extra tip in cash, they can keep it. If you tip by signing a charge for it, it goes into the tip pool.

We leave an additional cash tip ONLY if the service is above just acceptable. On a recent visit to the Bayou on the Coral, the server provided minimal information, was hard to understand, and gave us limited attention even though it was not very busy. He got no tip. On a prior visit to the Bayou, the server provide excellent service and was quite personable. She got a cash tip. Can't remember amount - it was $10 to $20.

Our US tipping culture has gotten a bit out of control. We now go on cruises where "tips" have become a near mandatory daily charge, and then cruisers think they should tip more (basically tips on top of tips). And then we get specialty restaurants (that can cost $50 per person on some ships) where passengers are again encouraged to tip more (on top of their daily service charge plus the specialty restaurant charge). And then consider that in that specialty restaurant, if you decide to order wine you will incur a mandatory tip (18% on some lines) on top of that daily near mandatory service fee + the specialty restaurant fee, etc. etc. The only thing amazing about all this is that we do not start screaming "No Mas," "No Mas." We have finally started to understand the wisdom of the tipping culture in Australia :).

Hank

While I agree that Tipping is a matter of personal tastes! We firmly believe in it!

After all, those who provide us with good service and are tipped, look forward to serving you again and again. This is especially true of the waiter / waitress in the lounges, if you are pleasant to them. I remember one young lady from Argentina; she made a bee-line when we came into the Piazza area. She even knew what drinks we wanted by the second day. Her eyes light-up & there is always a quick "Thank You!" & she stuck it in her pocket, because I left the auto-tip on the bill. :)

We go on PCL cruises to be pampered and believe that you get what you pay for and if you treat them with respect. Relax and enjoy, after all you are on a cruise!

My wife use to say that I tipped too much, but after 53 years, she has learned that we usually get good service and like me, she enjoys being pampered, so I do my best! ;)

Just Mike

While I agree that Tipping is a matter of personal tastes! We firmly believe in it!

After all, those who provide us with good service and are tipped, look forward to serving you again and again. This is especially true of the waiter / waitress in the lounges, if you are pleasant to them. I remember one young lady from Argentina; she made a bee-line when we came into the Piazza area. She even knew what drinks we wanted by the second day. Her eyes light-up & there is always a quick "Thank You!" & she stuck it in her pocket, because I left the auto-tip on the bill. :)

We go on PCL cruises to be pampered and believe that you get what you pay for and if you treat them with respect. Relax and enjoy, after all you are on a cruise!

My wife use to say that I tipped too much, but after 53 years, she has learned that we usually get good service and like me, she enjoys being pampered, so I do my best! ;)

Just Mike

Mike, I agree with you. :) We had a wonderful young woman on our Royal cruise at Bellini Bar. We went almost daily before dinner and by day 3 she knew exactly what we wanted. She also checked before ordering, just in case.

I know some folks think tipping Stewart /ess ahead of time is a bribe. We don't feel that way at all. :):)