Fort Lauderdale and Global Entry / NEXUS

mrell345

I have seen this mentioned but I couldn't find an answer about NEXUS before leaving. We just got back from 2 weeks on Regal out of Fort Lauderdale. There is a GOES lane now and while they don't have the kiosks they did have two agents for the Global Entry cards. As Canadians we have our NEXUS cards, we were able to use them to clear customs in a flash at Pier 2 Fort Lauderdale when disembarking after the second week of our cruise. As we were entering the maze to line up for customs we showed our NEXUS cards to the Princess agent directing passengers and he opened the GOES lane and sent us up, we bypassed about a hundred other passengers and went straight through, customs was done in about 2 minutes for us. Just make sure you have filled out the customs declaration card since they don't have the Kiosks.

Edited by mrell345

By definition NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits:

http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

though your precise detail of what the exact procedure is at Port Everglades is helpful.

And I'm happy to see that the port agents recognize the NEXUS card. I was worried that if they didn't see "GE" on the card they wouldn't let people into the lane.

We switched from GE to NEXUS because we visit Canada a few times a year by plane and it really expedites entry there, too. And it's less expensive, for no good reason I can see.

Thanks for posting the into, OP!:)

Your passport will suffice since the two are synced.

While we used out passport only in January I have been told that at some of the terminals they want you to present your global entry card and when I read the instructions that came with the card and on line it does indicate to have it with you. It is not needed when you enter the USA at an airport and that is clear but I do read it to have the card with you at the port.

Please see post 45 on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2300937&page=3

By the way I started that thread because we didn't have to show the card but we had it with us to be safe. And this poster said they did have to show it.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Your passport will suffice since the two are synced.

The problem here is that they are not using the Kiosks at Pier 2 FLL, if you show up without your card and only your passport the princess agent will most likely direct you to the regular customs lane. You need proof of Global entry.

And I'm happy to see that the port agents recognize the NEXUS card. I was worried that if they didn't see "GE" on the card they wouldn't let people into the lane.

We switched from GE to NEXUS because we visit Canada a few times a year by plane and it really expedites entry there, too. And it's less expensive, for no good reason I can see.

Thanks for posting the into, OP!:)

A bit off topic here but if you have NEXUS and are travelling in Canada you can use the priority lane at domestic security screening also, not just customs and not like TSE Pre where it is hit and miss sometimes, I have had the TSE on my ticket and my wife on the same reservation has not for some reason. For 55 bucks a year, even if I only travel by plance once a year it is a no brainer.

Yo apply on line. You hear back in about seven to ten days. If you are approved you get an interim approval.

Then you have 30 days to schedule (schedule not have the appointment) the appointment for your interview. In some places it is hard to get an interview. When we had the interview it as fast and they took our finger prints and our photo and then we were approved and received out cards, and other related information about a week later.

Keith

was just looking into the Global Entry card today, and glad I saw this post, since we plan to visit Canada this year, it looks like it would be better to get the Nexus card, is that correct, we travel a lot and thought this would help speed up the lines, thanks

The problem here is that they are not using the Kiosks at Pier 2 FLL, if you show up without your card and only your passport the princess agent will most likely direct you to the regular customs lane. You need proof of Global entry.

In January w returned to FLL after a two week cruise and went through the GE line and all we had to show was our passport. The GOES info is synced to your passport in the U.S.

was just looking into the Global Entry card today, and glad I saw this post, since we plan to visit Canada this year, it looks like it would be better to get the Nexus card, is that correct, we travel a lot and thought this would help speed up the lines, thanks

If you travel a lot between Canada and the US then the NEXUS card is probably your best bet. It is recognized by Canadian customs, not sure about the other cards.

Edited by mrell345

A bit off topic here but if you have NEXUS and are travelling in Canada you can use the priority lane at domestic security screening also, not just customs and not like TSE Pre where it is hit and miss sometimes, I have had the TSE on my ticket and my wife on the same reservation has not for some reason. For 55 bucks a year, even if I only travel by plance once a year it is a no brainer.

Sorry 55 bucks for five years not for one year.

In January w returned to FLL after a two week cruise and went through the GE line and all we had to show was our passport. The GOES info is synced to your passport in the U.S.

Another example of it depends who you see. We returned January 23rd from a cruise at terminal 2 and needed the Global Entry Card plus our passport. Just bring it to be safe. In our group of eight, six had the card with them while two left it home. All of us got our cards at JFK office. Six of us were told to carry it and two were told once registered it was not needed. Like I said..it all depends who you see.

-snip-

For 55 bucks a year, even if I only travel by plane once a year it is a no brainer.

The NEXUS card is only $50 (US or Cdn depending on how you apply) for 5 years unless I've misunderstood the process. I only just applied for my NEXUS card last month and have my interview at the end of February. But from what I could tell, aside from the US$50 I paid at the time I applied, there are no other fees until I have to renew the card in 5 years.

My thanks to the OP for the detailed confirmation that the card is recognised at the Ft. Lauderdale port.

The NEXUS card is only $50 (US or Cdn depending on how you apply) for 5 years unless I've misunderstood the process. I only just applied for my NEXUS card last month and have my interview at the end of February. But from what I could tell, aside from the US$50 I paid at the time I applied, there are no other fees until I have to renew the card in 5 years.

My thanks to the OP for the detailed confirmation that the card is recognised at the Ft. Lauderdale port.

We have had ours for 3 years now, and can say, for sure, that it is the best $50 that we ever spent. It is a pleasure to breeze thru Pearson with it, and to have it now accepted in Ft Lauderdale is an added bonus.

We used our NEXUS last fall when we disembarked the Regal in FLL. It was very handy. We also use it with the US carriers to get TSA pre-check which also really speeds things up. Also great domestically as well as of course entering either Canada or the US. Best $55 spent. Ours expire next year already. Five years goes by fast.

i realized that as i was looking at the entry afterwards, i meant 5 years not per year. ;)

One tip if you decide to go for your GE. Once you have interim approval, and you get the go-ahead to schedule your appointment-- you may want to make it a point to go back every so often and check to see if you can get an earlier appointment. I received my first approval in late Oct. I scheduled my appointment for early February (you have 30 days to schedule-- NOT complete). I checked back- sort of obsessively, and managed to find openings in early January, then in early December. Finally, I got an opening on November 9. I went to my interview, and had my card a week later.

My husband did the exact same thing. He checked many times and was able get someone's canceled appt. 5 days after he receive initial approval.

When we got off the ship in Port Everglades, there were at least five large ships in port. We were throught that very long, long line in 3 minutes- as we were diverted to the GE line. Worth every cent!