Tell me about your favorite diamond perks

APDMOM

It is official! We are now booked in one of our favorite corner afts on Freedom. It is funny how, two days ago, I could not care less whether we make diamond or not. Now, I cannot wait to complete that spring break cruise in order to reach this milestone! :)

Thanks again for the input!

Is the coffee in the Diamond Lounge' date=' good? I hate the dining room coffee and that was part of the reason I was going to get the replenish pkg and in the DL we both can drink it then. In 4 wks we will be on a 10 day and the first one as Diamond.[/quote']

My wife likes it better than the WJ or dining room coffee. It's made from fresh ground beans.

It used to be the balcony discount but lately Royal has been offering so much OBC that was not combinable with the balcony discount:( that I will have to say the free drinks win.:)

This. The OBC now beats out the balcony discount more often than not.

The diamond lounge evening drinks and coffee machine are definitely our favourite! Weren't fans of the WJ coffee either.

Edited by Aldri_CA

Is the coffee in the Diamond Lounge' date=' good? I hate the dining room coffee and that was part of the reason I was going to get the replenish pkg and in the DL we both can drink it then. In 4 wks we will be on a 10 day and the first one as Diamond.[/quote']

I do enjoy the coffee machine in the DL and my ability to have my Latte anytime I want it, not just at breakfast. The continental breakfast in the DL is nice as well.

The balcony discount is always nice, along with the DL in the evening with its drinks and snacks. Even if the DL is inconvenient for some reason the drink coupons on your seapass make up for that.

My favourite perks :

a). Priority boarding.

b). Access to diamond lounge. Nice lounge and you get to meet other regulars. Good venue for pre-drinks. Plus, nice quiet lounge for coffee during day. Coffee is superior to free coffee elsewhere on the ship.

c). Invites to special events including Top Tier.

d). Free photo.

e). Free drinks in evening from any bar around ship.

f). Diamond concierge is very helpful in resolving problems, getting tickets for ice shows etc.

It is official! We are now booked in one of our favorite corner afts on Freedom. It is funny how, two days ago, I could not care less whether we make diamond or not. Now, I cannot wait to complete that spring break cruise in order to reach this milestone! :)

Thanks again for the input!

Hi APDMOM, did you get the school schedule for next year already? We will be in WPB, and I started pricing out cruises too but do not know our schedule - if the week's work out, we may join you on this cruise too! If not, enjoy your cruise.

Flaunting my Diamond PLUS status around the ship because it irritates so many....NOT... just kidding.

My favorite perk is, unquestionably, the free drinks. I like the environment of the Lounge. You can meet some fun people in there. The 3 free drinks is a fantastic option too. It saves a lot of money, and as some have mentioned, sometimes rates are not combinable with the Balcony Discount. But a good example of the savings on drinks, we did a Greek Isle cruise in Sep. Heavy port itinerary. We bought a 5 bottle wine package, and a total of 3 drinks the entire cruise! We would meet at the lounge every night for drinks, and that was it. Great Perk!

Does cruising to achieve a certain level "prevent" you diamond members from checking out other cruise lines? I like Royal but I'm not "Royal or nothing!" I hate alcohol, so that discount doesn't matter to me, and I find that seeking "discounts" by obtaining enough points for a free flight and/or hotel stay negates any discount I'll find onboard.. At that point, would people like me still benefit from obtaining a status such as Diamond?

Does cruising to achieve a certain level "prevent" you diamond members from checking out other cruise lines? I like Royal but I'm not "Royal or nothing!" I hate alcohol, so that discount doesn't matter to me, and I find that seeking "discounts" by obtaining enough points for a free flight and/or hotel stay negates any discount I'll find onboard.. At that point, would people like me still benefit from obtaining a status such as Diamond?

If you book balcony staterooms, then the balcony discount is substantial perk.

What is the Nightly Diamond VIP Event for Diamond members for ships without a Diamond Lounge?

A: Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place from approximately 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (may vary by ship and itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard in the Welcome letter to be placed in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise vacation. We will offer complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and soda fountain drinks and a 'happy hour' discount of 25 percent off beer and liquor. There is a limit of one drink per member to be served at one time.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3836&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqType=faq

On a ship without a DL, such as on Her Majesty of the Seas (ex.) an area of the Viking Lounge is roped off to be used exclusively by Diamond and above members....it is nice. On our recent sailing we had 24 Diamonds and 11 D+ onboard....so it was a small groups each night and we saw the same faces at the time we went each evening.

This. The OBC now beats out the balcony discount more often than not.

The diamond lounge evening drinks and coffee machine are definitely our favourite! Weren't fans of the WJ coffee either.

I personally don't equate an OBC that I will receive after fully paying for my cruise as the same as getting an upfront reduction on the price of the cruise I am taking to be the same thing. Others may see it as 'how does the offer net out'....but the difference would have to be tremendous for me to view it in this way and to date, that has not been the case. For use it made sense to use the balcony discount upfront.

I want to get the best upfront pricing for the cruise and then I have other options to utilize so I can receive OBC's to use onboard.

I never chased the loyalty levels but had a preference for Royal Caribbean over many years because we liked the whole experience. Our very first cruise was on RCI ship 30 yrs ago.

Over the past 10 years I have sailed on a variety of cruise lines. All have their own USPs and I have enjoyed them all.

So does my diamond status make a difference? Yes the little things which I am sure I have listed elsewhere on this thread. I see it as a value add and one that affects my overall experience. The diamond status means that these days I might lean more towards RCI but it still doesn't stop going on other cruise lines.

Diamond also gives me Elite status on Celebrity which in itself is a great perk.

People talk a lot about free drinks but I like the invites to special events and over the years, we have got surprise gifts left in our cabin. Little touches which make a difference.

I never chased the loyalty levels but had a preference for Royal Caribbean over many years because we liked the whole experience. Our very first cruise was on RCI ship 30 yrs ago.

Over the past 10 years I have sailed on a variety of cruise lines. All have their own USPs and I have enjoyed them all.

So does my diamond status make a difference? Yes the little things which I am sure I have listed elsewhere on this thread. I see it as a value add and one that affects my overall experience. The diamond status means that these days I might lean more towards RCI but it still doesn't stop going on other cruise lines.

Diamond also gives me Elite status on Celebrity which in itself is a great perk.

People talk a lot about free drinks but I like the invites to special events and over the years, we have got surprise gifts left in our cabin. Little touches which make a difference.

Good reminder of the crossover benefit on the Celebrity line. I just wish they would honor the balcony discount, although I do realize that their pricing structure is different.

Like you we don't stay loyal to Royal for the cruise points. We stay loyal to them because so far they have done nothing to make me look elsewhere very much. Our ability to cruise is limited to the Caribbean right now, and is year round. Since we are not seasonal cruisers Royal offers ships 12 months a year for us to choose from.

I recognize that the onboard experience has changed since 2004 when we began cruising. But nothing has changed our enjoyment of the cruise and the fun we have.

My wife really likes getting the photos and the drinks. I really like Royal and cruise with them a lot, but I just found that another line has a matching program, prove to them what level you are and they will match that, no starting over from the bottom.

That quote from the website is way out of date. There is no charge for basic mixed drinks in the Diamond lounge. And on most ships you can also get cosmos, lemon drops, bloody marys and usually margaritas(made from mix) and chocolate martinis. This does vary by ship.

That quote was not referring to the Diamond Lounge. It was referring to a nightly Diamond Event on ships that do not have a Diamond Lounge. (It might still be out of date, but it wasn't about DL.)

That quote was not referring to the Diamond Lounge. It was referring to a nightly Diamond Event on ships that do not have a Diamond Lounge. (It might still be out of date, but it wasn't about DL.)

Just Jewel and Majesty left without a DL. Jewel gets a DL in April. Then it will be just Majesty and Empress.

Hi APDMOM, did you get the school schedule for next year already? We will be in WPB, and I started pricing out cruises too but do not know our schedule - if the week's work out, we may join you on this cruise too! If not, enjoy your cruise.

That would be awesome! We will probably still be addicted to our Rubik's cubes and sitting in the Promenade Cafe at least part of the morning. ...and you know you can always find us at the Captain's corner :D

Our school calendar was approved on January 20th. Most of the larger counties have their school calendars ready about 2 years in advance. As a smaller county, our calendar comes out around Jan/Feb every year. You could call your kids' future school board office and see if they have it - especially since this WOW sale is actually a great deal for families on Freedom.

Ironically, I will be the only one bound to a school schedule, as we have decided to homeschool next year. :p